LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14, 2008, 10:20 pm 

Mark,

Any info on your new project? Pics?

J. R.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 9:43 am 

chetcpo wrote:
If someone would make a "rear bulkhead back" modular frame kit they would likely have no trouble finding buyers. I'm not talking about the Miata subframe, but basically a set of A arms and rear section of the frame designed to accept the Miata diff. It would be easy to ship, (dimensions would be 21 tall, 26" long, 42" wide including the luggage rack thingy) not too hard to make, and buyers could set it on their build tables and build on a book (or whatever) chassis forward of it. That would eliminate the whole suspension design issue that everyone wants to avoid.

EDIT- Below is something like I have in mind. From the red line back.

Dave,
In the corporate world (which I used to belong to) a statement like that could ONLY mean that you had volunteered to do Exactly that!!! So, where do I send my order and what is the price :-) ?????

Mike Bynum

PostPosted: April 18, 2009, 7:28 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6585&p=64821#p64821

I got the idea, already started lol, just need customers :lol:
personaly I'm a believer on the miata set up
cheers, Tony

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: April 20, 2009, 8:54 am 

dodgedartgt wrote:
chetcpo wrote:
If someone would make a "rear bulkhead back" modular frame kit they would likely have no trouble finding buyers. I'm not talking about the Miata subframe, but basically a set of A arms and rear section of the frame designed to accept the Miata diff. It would be easy to ship, (dimensions would be 21 tall, 26" long, 42" wide including the luggage rack thingy) not too hard to make, and buyers could set it on their build tables and build on a book (or whatever) chassis forward of it. That would eliminate the whole suspension design issue that everyone wants to avoid.

EDIT- Below is something like I have in mind. From the red line back.

Dave,
In the corporate world (which I used to belong to) a statement like that could ONLY mean that you had volunteered to do Exactly that!!! So, where do I send my order and what is the price :-) ?????

Mike Bynum

Thank God this is not the corporate world. I'm just tossing out ideas for those with more motivation and ambition than me.
:P :P

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 2:05 pm 

to Mark Rivera

What are you building now? You really caught my interest with the Miata front subframe and streamlining!

PostPosted: January 8, 2010, 5:18 pm 

dan52001a wrote:
to Mark Rivera

What are you building now? You really caught my interest with the Miata front subframe and streamlining!

Since he isn't building a locost anymore you may have a better chance to reach him via PM.

PostPosted: June 7, 2010, 1:06 pm 
Locost Celebrity

I'd like to provide a 442 (or maybe, 431?) version of my chassis drawings using the Miata subframe as a bolt-on. Problem is, I don't have a Miata donor laying about, so I'm trying to compile notes from various existing builds.

Is the image below an accurate rendering of Mark's CAD file (the one that Keith pointed to about two years ago on this thread)?... Or did I loose something in translation? (http://www.cheapsportscar.net/files/431Miata.igs)

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg

There seems to be some parts missing, and the rear end is displaced more rearward than I would have expected. Was this CAD file a work in progress (as a starting point?).

Other thoughts, suggestions, or sources? (I already grabbed the scanned drawings from Chetcpo... very nice.

Cheers,
-Jim M.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 7, 2010, 5:48 pm 

Jim,

Which CAD package did you import the IGES file into? I imported it into Solidworks 2009 and rendered it in PhotoView. Looks to be the same resulting output as yours. 25 files in total: 22 parts and 3 assemblies.

Let me know if you need any measurements from the Miata rear sub-frame. Note that mine is a '94 with the larger Torsen LSD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2010, 11:14 pm 

i have 4 pdf files about the miata front and rear suspension dimension included
frontcontrolpickups[1]
rearcontrolpickups1[1]
frontcontrolarms[1]
rearcontrolpickups2[1]

if you need call me at 453468175@qq.com and i will send to you thank you

PostPosted: July 12, 2010, 12:26 pm 

enzo07067 wrote:
i have 4 pdf files about the miata front and rear suspension dimension included
frontcontrolpickups[1]
rearcontrolpickups1[1]
frontcontrolarms[1]
rearcontrolpickups2[1]

if you need call me at 453468175@qq.com and i will send to you thank you

Can you not just attach them to your post here?

PostPosted: July 14, 2010, 11:21 am 

i can't post my pdf file here ? how can i do ? thank you

PostPosted: July 14, 2010, 11:41 am 

enzo07067 wrote:
i can't post my pdf file here ? how can i do ? thank you

When you hit reply there should be a box below the 'post a reply' box that says 'Filename' and 'File comment'.

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 11:24 am 

Anyone using a Miata (MX5 in the UK), try looking at this thread, Matt really seems to have it sussed

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=134827

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 1:05 am 

chetcpo wrote:
Glad to see you back Mark! Here's the one I drew after I finished doing my car. I decided what I did with mine left some room for improvement. I will post other details and plans for the control arms later.
Side view
http://www.locostusa.com/pics/FILE0001.TIF
Rear view
http://www.locostusa.com/pics/FILE0002.TIF
Top view
http://www.locostusa.com/pics/FILE0003.TIF

I spoke to Chet earlier about taking these drawings and making a CAD file out of 'em. Obviously, I adapted them first to my needs (a +442), but I'll get around to modifying them to book chassis dimensions, as well. Please find attached both a STEP version and an IGES file, depending on what your CAD program enjoys viewing most.

Caveats: I totally cheated and used some of the spec McSorley tubes in the drawing rather than redrawing those members. So the rear top plate carrier is only 3/4" and likewise for X1. That also makes CB1 half an inch short. It's also missing bulkhead reinforcement. Give me a bit and I'll correct all that. I just wanted to get it all out there first.

Chet, or anyone else, any feedback?

-Matt "Someone's playing the marimba next to my work office at 10pm" Rogers

PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 1:58 am 

Well to be totally fair the "chetcpo" rear end you rendered for me is a copy of the CMC (now defunct) design. I've never measured or seen a CMC frame in person, but I've eyeballed the heck out of the one in K. Tanner's book and the design I drew was based on that.

Don't start cutting yet though. I built a book frame for a friend last year and used those drawings and decided it would work better with the diff about 3/4" higher. I used a combination of pieces cut from 1/8" x 2" and 1/8" x 1" steel band to lift the diff up a bit without changing any of the rear frame tubes. I'll attach a pic below. (well, below the pic below, at the bottom) It would likely be easier just to raise the two cross tubes that carry the diff mounts, but I was already past that point when I decided to raise the diff on that particular frame.

"wkeeling" used the .tif plans on the rear of his build with his own personal adaptations, and he's almost done now. We should probably ask him what he changed and what he might change if he could. He actually used the Miata PPF in his build which makes it pretty unique. Below is a pic from his build log: