LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 9, 2014, 9:16 am 

I can't see any reason why you would want to do that to a transmission .
I have done it to many transaxles when I have used vw or Porsche transaxles in a mid engine setup .
oiling with them is not a problem doing so how ever when I installed a quaife 996 6 speed into my 944 V8 there was a oiling problem . that had to do with needing to change the oil pump in and out feeds to the oil cooler .

PostPosted: April 9, 2014, 11:10 am 
The voice of reason

It's not an unreasonable discussion. Someone's trying to learn about something they know they don't understand. It's something i've wanted to do on Car9 to lower the motor. The transmission and ring gear seem to be the ground clearance issues. On something like a T5, the "sump" or bottom is about twice as deep from the input/output shafts.

Quote:
Maybe there is a specific trans that would lower the CG by inverting it.

When you do this on a transaxle, as opposed to a transmission, it can make a difference. On transaxles where the driveshaft goes by the diff before it gets to the transmission ( VW Beatle, Porsche 911 ), it must go either above or below the final drive. Depending on wether it does this the motor's crankshaft is either a couple inches above or below the halfshafts.

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 8:28 am 

by all means it is not a unreasonable discussion !
right now i'm working on trying to get a scca F production MGB motor to sit as low as it can be in it's chassis . the problem i'm running into is the belhousing to ground clearance .

un like a transaxle a transmission has it's input and out put shafts coming in and out on either ends .
so turning upside down will make no difference in that the car would not end up with 5 or 6 speeds in reverse .
the olny thing I could think about is oiling problems so I would say any auto trans would be out for doing the upside down thing to .

with the MG being a top loader flipping it is out !so I would bet all top loader transmissions would also run into the same problem with that .
leaving only oiling you would have to think about along with starter motor placement ?

so if your not limited to having to use a stock transmission like I have to with the MGB .
you may want to think about using a transaxle over a transmission ?
this would do other things other then just lowering the CG of the car . it would also help in the cars balance with disturbing allot of the weight to the rear of the chassis .

if you go to my facebook page DKB look for dkb in Hamden ct.
you can see a photo of the under side of the car and how low the bellhousing is .
turning the transmission upside down for this will not give me more ground clearance it would only low the CG of the car by very little as this transmission does not have most of it's weight on the top side of it .