LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 10, 2020, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 5, 2020, 3:03 pm 

kreb wrote:
Well the irony is that after years of trying to make the Miata turbo reliable, he goes with the LFX to instant success. Now it's almost like he's doing the same thing again, making the very reliable LFX less so

He's got the bug for sure - and like he said - if you're not progressing, everyone else will be and you'll fall behind.

There are certainly well-known recipes for high horsepower, low weight, and high (relative) reliability. But those recipes are $$$$$ and he's finding a way to success at a fraction of the cost. I'm sure he has tens of thousands in that car (maybe even six figures by now), but how much more does one of those GT-Rs that he gapped by a few seconds cost?

PostPosted: March 5, 2020, 4:12 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Potentially less than what he's got in his car...

It's pretty incredible the performance that dead stock cars have these days. A used one potentially makes building something from scratch less attractive if lap time is all important. The only advantage Locosts really have is low weight, and someone who's fine with $500 of tire wear on their heavy car can be tough competition.

PostPosted: March 5, 2020, 7:29 pm 

KB58 wrote:
It's pretty incredible the performance that dead stock cars have these days. A used one potentially makes building something from scratch less attractive if lap time is all important. The only advantage Locosts really have is low weight, and someone who's fine with $500 of tire wear on their heavy car can be tough competition.

My moment of truth came right after a track session at Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway for you philistines). I'd been lapping with the faster Vette's in my Locost. When leaving the raceway heading East, you've got about a hundred yards of 4-lane on highway 37 followed by six miles of two-lane no-passing. I'm alongside a Cadillac Escalade when he punches it, trying to beat me to the bottleneck. I'm slow to react and grab a lower gear. Once I do.....I can't catch him. 9:1 power-to-weight and I can't catch a damn SUV.

That was 12 years ago. It's only gotten worse.

Last edited by kreb on March 5, 2020, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 5, 2020, 10:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Some years back a guy drove his Ar-i-el At-om on the Portland Oregon track, then tried his BMW M5 the same day. The M5 got a faster laptime, due in part to its much better aero. Not expected.

Regarding your comment above, Kreb, another thing changing under our feet are transmissions. Listen to Corvettes, Audis, and Porsches. They now have near instant gear changes, and every shift moves them about 1/3 second ahead of us with our old design. The technology is pretty amazing.

Last edited by KB58 on March 6, 2020, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 6, 2020, 12:09 pm 

KB58 wrote:
another thing changing under our feet are transmissions. Listen to Corvettes, Audis, and Porshes. They now have near instant gear changes, and every shift moves them about 1/3 second ahead of us with our old design. The technology is pretty amazing.

Then you've got electric cars which are becoming juggernauts in their own right.

Yeah, technology is marginalizing us. I joke that I'm starting to feel like Harley guy. But that's OK. The dual-motor Tesla 3 that I flogged was mighty quick, but it was soulless. I'd rather work for my speed than buy it.

PostPosted: March 7, 2020, 11:23 am 

I'll just throw this in because LS series engines are serving as a point of comparison:

A stock long block LQ4 can make a peaky (for 6L) 400whp horsepower with a cam change, for which you never have to take the heads off. $250 at my local U-Pull it, and not hard to find.

There are a lot of great engines out there, but when power requirements start getting high while budgets stay low the LS platform gets more attractive. The dollar-per-reliable horsepower is exceptional, especially beyond 450hp.

I'm not sure it will be surpassed in an internal combustion engine. Electric will do it easily very soon.

-Graveyard