LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: March 8, 2011, 7:01 pm 

Got this in my email. Nothing on their website.

I just want to smack their webmaster and PR person for inconsistencies like that.

Quote:
Motus Insiders Update
In this update:
Motus to unveil bikes at the 70th Annual Daytona Bike Week
Video release of the Motus MST in action
Facebook fan page invite
MST Unveil Press Kit
Motus has loaded up the "go getter" with a couple of MST's and is headed to the 70th Annual Daytona Bike Week. Attendees will be able to catch a glimpse of the bikes on Thursday March 10th at 2pm inside the Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the Ocean Center Daytona Beach. Admission is FREE!

More info on facebook, however.
http://www.facebook.com/motusmotorcycle ... dium=email

from http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/ ... us-mst-01/
Quote:
161bhp and 121lb/ft

Saw something earlier today about forced induction and dry sump available eventually. Still quoting that 130lb figure for the engine.

Still hopeful but skeptical this isn't going to turn out to be vaporware, unobtainium or sheer marketing.

PostPosted: March 9, 2011, 8:11 am 

I bet the Motus engine is in the 130 lb range. The bike is only 520 lbs. Pratt Miller is a top notch race and engineering shop. I have been there and toured the shop for engineering support work. We supply the back seat panels for their Vettes. But I will say that the motor is not going to be cheap. The air wrench and socket to take off the lug nuts on the racing Corvettes cost more then my Locost. They are only a few miles from either my house or office. When I grow up I want to work there.
Dave W

PostPosted: March 9, 2011, 10:42 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

davew wrote:
...But I will say that the motor is not going to be cheap... Dave W

Which makes me marvel at how much attention this thread's getting, but it's okay to dream.

PostPosted: March 9, 2011, 10:57 am 

KB58 wrote:
davew wrote:
...But I will say that the motor is not going to be cheap... Dave W

Which makes me marvel at how much attention this thread's getting, but it's okay to dream.

That's because every once in a while someone from the HiCostUSA Forum slips in here to tease us.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: March 9, 2011, 1:30 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
KB58 wrote:
So yeah, these fantasy engine threads are kind of :BH:
Please, remind us all how unworthy of discussion the Locost gods have deemed such topics again...and again...and again. :roll:

If you don't like threads like this because they're not "Locost enough" for you, that's fine...But maybe for once just try not posting (repeatedly) about how much you dislike it, so as to not detract from the actual relevant technical discussions everybody else interested in the thread is trying to have.

I'm just going to quote this....

I saw a vid the other day of them rolling out the bike with the engine in it and there's a vid on youtube of the bike on a dyno.

PostPosted: December 29, 2011, 5:23 pm 

from their latest emails...(jumping around, not quoting the whole thing)

Quote:
We will release MSRP’s soon and we thank you for your patience

Motorcycles and aftermarket engines will be sold through authorized dealers

Q: Can I purchase a V4 Baby Block engine for a different application?
Yes, we will offer crated, aftermarket engines in late 2012. Pricing, drawings, and specifications to be announced soon, but refundable reservations are being taken now for the first year of production. Contact us here for the Reservation Agreement.

PostPosted: December 29, 2011, 6:21 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Driven5 wrote:
Please, remind us all how unworthy of discussion the Locost gods have deemed such topics again...and again...and again. :roll: If you don't like threads like this because they're not "Locost enough" for you...

Cool, how'd I miss this awesome slapdown? Since I'm the only one who considers it too expensive, I look forward to seeing it used by everyone else, assuming that they're real patient - in addition to being much richer than I. For technical merit, I doubt the 130 lb engine weight if that's proported to be a complete engine.

PostPosted: December 30, 2011, 12:51 am 

JSullivan wrote:
from their latest emails...(jumping around, not quoting the whole thing)

Quote:
We will release MSRP’s soon and we thank you for your patience

Motorcycles and aftermarket engines will be sold through authorized dealers

Q: Can I purchase a V4 Baby Block engine for a different application?
Yes, we will offer crated, aftermarket engines in late 2012. Pricing, drawings, and specifications to be announced soon, but refundable reservations are being taken now for the first year of production. Contact us here for the Reservation Agreement.

Thanks for sharing the little update! Regardless of how much more unobtainably expensive this engine will apparently be than a fully built turbo K-Series, I am certainly looking forward to any additional technical data and pricing to becoming available regarding this engine...Even if ultimately for no other reason than to simply learn more about something new going on in the automotive world and being able to have rational discussions about such things with other likewise open-minded enthusiasts.
:cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: December 30, 2011, 6:04 pm 

I'll freely admit to being enamored with this engine. But still.

KB58 wrote:
Since I'm the only one who considers it too expensive, I look forward to seeing it used by everyone else, assuming that they're real patient - in addition to being much richer than I.

People discuss other crate engines, or doing full+forced induction rebuilds. I don't get why this is one magically off-limits. Hayabusa engines aren't cheap either.

Quote:
For technical merit, I doubt the 130 lb engine weight if that's proported to be a complete engine.

Why? It's already on the heavy side for a bike engine, and it isn't loaded down with either technology or a transmission. Okay, sure. Maybe that weight is sans oil and coolant. Not a big deal, those volumes/weights are going to be pretty similar regardless of the engine.

PostPosted: December 31, 2011, 2:54 am 

I agree that considering the weight of modern sport bike drivetrains, which include the 6-speed transmission, it is at least technically feasible for this engine to actually be in the ballpark of the claimed weight. However I also believe it to be pretty obvious given the context that the weight noted thus far is closer in form to a "long block" weight to us in the car world, as that is the easiest way to singularly address the weight between both motorcycle and automotive type installations...Which is absolutely nothing to scoff at, as that still makes it far and away one of the absolute lightest things around capable of providing a complete ultra-lightweight car with 160hp and 120ft-lb as shipped from the factory.

PostPosted: January 1, 2012, 2:56 pm 

pushrods, double overhead cams, the technology is moving fast, or is it, double overhead cams have been used for almost 100 years in performance applications, all of the true advances in automotive engines have been in engine management.

ford produced a v4 engine back in the 60's which was also used in saabs.

things like variable cam timing, which again was in use in the 60's (cam-agogo) and i remember someone putting a big coil spring from an old window regulator in the middle of the cam sprocket so that as the torque increased the cam would retard against the spring, these are where development was going years ago.

electronics are the future, wether we like it or not, some day we will all have to be able to build a mega-squirt management system from parts of old t.v. sets.

this little engine is, and always will be something of a novalty and no more or less.
if you compare any motor cycle engine to a chevy small block, the amount of years and numbers produced, they would all be novalties.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 2, 2012, 7:49 pm 

The motor is nice but it would be very expensive. Sounds like they are still working out fueling and such according to the bike mags.
You could buy a new VFR1200 for less than the Motus engine. Probably a more reliable mill. ST1300 would work too. Motus engine would have more torque for sure. It's a cool engine but not Locost by any yardstick unless you drive Ferraris. And even then it's not cheap.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: January 2, 2012, 8:26 pm 

I really like it, but it doesn't seem any better than any other sportbike engine of similar (physical) size.

PostPosted: January 3, 2012, 1:56 pm 

IA599 wrote:
I really like it, but it doesn't seem any better than any other sportbike engine of similar (physical) size.
Yest and no. Traditional sport bike motors can work excellently if you are going to have it transversely mounted with a chain drive and don't need reverse. If one requires longitudinal mounting and/or a more traditional transmission, especially for use on the street, then this engine should have some distinct advantages even if substantially more expensive as well.

Last edited by Driven5 on January 3, 2012, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 3, 2012, 2:38 pm 
The voice of reason

Once you're willing to spend 10's of thousands of dollars, a lot of options start to open up. You can make a lot of custom stuff for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next