LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B2000
PostPosted: March 21, 2012, 7:44 pm 

Looking at the engine in a Mazda B2000 (made 10/86) in the salvage yard today, I noticed that it had an oval metal air cleaner housing, under which I would have expecte to see a carb. I took the top cover off and saw what looked like two venturi--one with a butterfly and one without. The I noticed that the thing appears to be coil-fired with a conventional-looking distributor. Then I looked inside and saw an ecm hanging down from the dash. I've looked all over the net for info on this thing and haven't been able to determine whether the thing is carbureted or maybe throttle-body injected. I must be a 2.0 and it looks like an SOHC.

Does anyone know about this critter or where I can get info on it without buying a Haynes manual?

Post subject: Re: B2000
PostPosted: March 21, 2012, 10:38 pm 

86 should be a 2 stage 2 barrel carbureted machine. ....... Some sort of Holley as I recall.
Electric choke, anti-dieseling valve, deccel vacuum control, etc. Might have an intake air heater between it and the manifold but I disremember.

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 10:59 am 

It is a 2.0L sohc motor with a carb. It is a computer controlled carb with lots of vacumn lines. Fine as long as it is working ... but if not a bit of a pain to debug. I used to have a '86 B2000 - engine is a little gruff but attached to very nice 5spd gearbox. A Weber conversion gives better power and MPG and cleans up the engine compartment. I remember it being a bit of a tall-ish motor.

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 12:30 pm 

Dave wrote:
It is a 2.0L sohc motor with a carb. It is a computer controlled carb with lots of vacumn lines. Fine as long as it is working ... but if not a bit of a pain to debug. I used to have a '86 B2000 - engine is a little gruff but attached to very nice 5spd gearbox. A Weber conversion gives better power and MPG and cleans up the engine compartment. I remember it being a bit of a tall-ish motor.

Egads, now I remember those :ack: Ugly buggers, called a "Mixture Controlled Carburetor".

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 3:24 pm 

oldejack wrote:
Dave wrote:

Egads, now I remember those :ack: Ugly buggers, called a "Mixture Controlled Carburetor".

I had one of those on my LeBaron.... yes, ugly.

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 3:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

Would you all for God's Sakes quit posting pictures of that fugly carbo-puter?!?!?!?! :ack:

*Easy, stomach, don't turn over now...*
Attachment:
DaffyDuck.jpg
:rofl: :cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 22, 2012, 9:14 pm 

I'm pretty sure this is a 2.0 version of the 2.3 Lima. There does not seem to be any particular reason to choose it over a 2.3. Same weight, less power.

Bill

PostPosted: March 23, 2012, 5:24 am 

I agree, unless the OP is looking to find a single donor solution to starting a locost build. With a donor like this everything is packaged together, is known to work in combination, and shares a single, known identity when it comes to finding replacement and wear parts. I would still eventually loose that OE carb-puter and replace it with something more sports car friendly. Having all the OE bits running and working together before the donor comes apart does simplify a build. Use those parts as the donor ran at first, then upgrade and improve later.

As a counterpoint, I know of two custom v6 swaps for a pair of MR2s that require us to go digging through either the appropriate internet forums or our local documentation when it comes time to figure out specifically which parts were sourced from each of a range of possible donors. At least with good documentation we know what to order without needing the parts in hand to figure out what they really are. If those resources were ever lost, trying to source replacement parts could turn into quite an adventure.

PostPosted: March 24, 2012, 6:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You should buy a manual on anything your planning on building, but avoid Haynes. They were pretty good but quality of the content took a real nose dive a few years ago.

Since there is a vacuum canister on the distributor, it is most likely mechanical advance as well, so the ecm would be only for the carb mixture control and not timing, meaning the ecm can be tossed with the feedback carb.

Very good deal for a slightly different application:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L20-L20B-L18-L1 ... 6f&vxp=mtr

Forum for that vehicle:
http://www.mazdabscene.com/forums/

Here is a pic of that engine cleaned up, with Pacesetter header and weber carb.

I believe Hennessey just swapped a weber onto one of these.

BBlue wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is a 2.0 version of the 2.3 Lima. There does not seem to be any particular reason to choose it over a 2.3. Same weight, less power.

Bill

This is all mazda, before rangers and b2000 pickups were the same and badged as required.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 29, 2012, 6:41 pm 

I have a 1984 B2000. I liked the truck a lot, and when the original engine died I decided to drop in the turbocharged Buick GN driveline I had sitting around. Unfortunately, the frame rails were narrower than the bellhousing and back of the block...

I punted and went for a 2.5 GM four and T5 five speed, which still required notching the frame to clear the distributor and modifying the oil pan and pickup tube to move the sump to the front. I adapted a junkyard wiring harness and a '7730 ECM and got it running. It was a major triumph for me, as I had to have my wife label the wires since I'm color blind, and she had trouble understanding that "taupe" and "mauve" weren't in the list of GM wire colors...

While I was at it I made up an exhaust manifold to hold a 2.2 Mopar turbo and plumbed the exhaust through the empty turbo housing. I didn't want to get into wiring, reprogramming, *and* dealing with a turbo fuel map all at the same time.