LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 11:55 pm 

hey jober,i would spend your money on a cheap 3/8 air ratchet and a set of deep/shallow sockets instead of a manual and undo every nut and bolt in front of you,doing this will ensure the car will literally fall apart in front of you and you will have lots of nuts bolts and washers for your build.start from the outside and work your way in clearing panels that will be in your way .You should be able to strip it in a couple of days,if you have a smart phone take lots of pictures ,store them on a sim card so they wont get lost and then you can always reference these later..
wayne-o

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 12:33 am 

Personally, the thought of tearing into a rust bucket sometimes seems like good therapy to me. You know, take a saw to a car, rip out its guts, find out where those french fries went over the years, etc.

When I get that urge, I go to my local (overpriced) you-pick, which doesn't allow me the tools I'd normally use, and makes me walk them at least half a mile to the yard, where I walk for miles looking for a donor, knowing I'm the only one there who speaks English. I then roll around on the glass, sharp metal and gravel-covered ground wondering if the yard's "jack stands" (old rims welded to the frame) will stand, and in general, come back covered in glass and blood and sweat and gravel and MAYBE a part that cost me maybe $20 less than if I'd just ordered the thing.

At that point, I go to a different type of therapy, and then I go buy the parts that I want.

I vote for selling the car for $500 (What I just sold my 204k mile'd 98 Jetta for, when the strut tower literally came off of the body due to rust) using that to go buy the donor car you really want. Bonus points if you buy a car from a place where they don't rust, ie, NOT where you live. Or put the money towards a good welder, chop saw, grinder, etc. Or maybe therapy?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 6:08 am 

Oh, crap. NOW you tell me. I've been selling the wife on the idea that driving the Locost would be therapeutic! :D