LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 9, 2013, 4:06 pm 

Hi guys, I still have only tacked together the bottom rails and first uprights of my frame, but I am debating switching from my 1.6 Miata engine to a small block Ford V8. I'm making this same post over in frames with a question related to the size, but my question here is which engine would get me the most for it's size? I obviously can't afford a Coyote motor, but would I want to get an old 302? I am also considering a 289, or the cammer engine out of the 90s mustangs. Thoughts?

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: May 9, 2013, 4:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
would I want to get an old 302? I am also considering a 289, or the cammer engine out of the 90s mustangs. Thoughts?

Yo, Thunder-
I'm kinda partial to the 302 myself. Been around long enough to be cheap, and also there's tons of hot-rod goodies for them. The same could be said of the 289, although I sometimes think (don't know...) that they're a bit pricier for being more "vintage."

The 302 also hung around long enough to get EFI, which is a blessing and/or a curse. Means lotsa electronic gadgets have to be transplanted, but then it runs soooo nice. Or you can go vintage and put carbs on it. At lease ya gets a choice!

The modern OHC V8s from the Moose-wangs (the 4.6 in two or three-valve config) are rockets, but they are W-I-D-E. The cylinder heads take up a lot more room at the top than the older models. They might fit the frame, but I'd be surprised if they'll go under a "normal" Se7en type hood.

YMMV...
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 9, 2013, 4:40 pm 

Hi Eric,

Welcome!

I see JD has responded already. He's got ton's of good stuff in his build log. Here are 4 other build logs for 5.0L Ford Locosts. It's very productive (and more fun) to poke around and see what have done, or had to do, to accommodate the 5.0L Ford V8.

Enjoy yourself :D

Perry's = viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14030

Trochu's = viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8208

Rod's = viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1586

Schmid's = viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11498

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 9, 2013, 5:15 pm 

Asking about the Mazda B6 vs the SBF is a bit of a loaded question. I don't think we know enough about you and your plans/goals for this build to be able to give any type of informed answer. The 'correct' choice is going to be different for every individual builder.

Also, do you have plans for the rest of your drivetrain components yet? If so, are you willing to change them to better suit your engine if you go SBF?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 9, 2013, 5:55 pm 

Driven-

It isn't so much whether or not I should switch, it is which V8 would be best bang for my buck/size? As for drivetrain components, I don't have any yet besides Miata hubs which I would keep.

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is