LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: August 18, 2014, 5:01 am 

Oh I see what your saying. That would make a great drivetrain.

For whatever reason, that reminds me. I'm going to weigh the short block, the heads, and the clutch assembly to get some numbers for you. I won't be able to figure a complete engine weight but I'm sure you guys can guesstimate the manifolds and accessories.

PostPosted: August 18, 2014, 5:01 am 

Oh I see what your saying. That would make a great drivetrain.

For whatever reason, that reminds me. I'm going to weigh the short block, the heads, and the clutch assembly to get some numbers for you. I won't be able to figure a complete engine weight but I'm sure you guys can guesstimate the manifolds and accessories.

PostPosted: September 24, 2014, 9:41 pm 

Wanted to update this with some interesting info about the Isuzu 6VD1 engine.

"6VD1 - V6 It is nearly unknown that the Isuzu 6VD1 V6 engine was a 1996 Championship Winning DTM engine. In the early 1990's, Opel (GM Germany) was having problems with their narrow angle V6 engine in the Calibra DTM race cars. They eventually decided to use the Opel Montery (Isuzu Trooper) 3.2 liter all aluminum 6VD1 engine, because the wide 75 degree angle and more durably block structure could handle higher engine speeds better than their own engines. Cosworth destroked the 6VD1 to 2.5 liters, built custom heads, individual throttle body induction system, and dry sump lubrication system. According to the most conservative power specs, the engine made 457 HP at 12,000 RPM. The Japanese sources cite 485 HP at 12,300 RPM. The race shops who bought the remaining engines, after DTM changed their engine displacement rules, state that the true specs are 540 HP at 15,000 RPM. The Isuzu V6 would make a very good power plant for a race car, if built correctly."

I think it's in this video somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtoXw4jpXs

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 11:47 pm 

The final solution for the clutch is...

Cut the Isuzu flywheel surface flat and drill the holes for a '94 Camaro pressure plate. Use '94 Camaro clutch disc. Make a spacer to hold a pilot bearing. Now you can use a WIDE range of transmissions used in GM vehicles. There will be plenty of room to shim a concentric throw-out bearing. Use a 13/16" master from a 1980 Jeep CJ7 and save about 70 bucks over a Tilton. It's the same bolt pattern as the Tilton and Wilwood if you decided to change it later. You need 1" of master piston throw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 8, 2014, 5:18 am 

I was mistaken about the total weight being 163kg (359lbs). It's actually 133kg (293lbs). Supermarine was including the 30kg (66lb) prop reduction.

Shave off at least another ~10lbs if you make your own intake. I'll get the long block weight soon.

PostPosted: October 8, 2014, 2:10 pm 
Toyotaphobe

You make me want to do this in my car.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 9, 2014, 6:02 am 

Do eet! Do eet naow! To da choppeh! (chopper = junkyard?) :)

215tq@3000rpm 205hp@5400 in the Amigo. Supermarine gets 250hp out of it with just a tune. Assuming the RPMs didn't change that's 243tq.

If you want to know what it sounds like just watch videos of the Mazda KLDE 2.5L v6. Ford Probe, MX6, or 626. Or the Miata KL swaps. Same firing order. 1-2-3-4-5-6

The Miata in front is a KL swap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXn9L6MRys

As for the Flywheel modifications. Take a sawzall and lop off the 3 raised "towers" (see unmodified flywheel pic above) then have it resurfaced. The 6 holes you'll have to have done at a good machine shop. Cheap modification though. Cost me $60 to have it done plus I had them turn is smaller. Another $49 to balance. The entire flywheel/clutch/pp is only 34lbs. Should be a very snappy throttle. Throw on some Triumph 595 triple throttle bodies (under $100 on ebay) and I bet it'll really rip.

Oh, and the '99 Amigo ECU's rev limit is 6500rpm. So peak HP at 5400 is a great spot for them to put it. Gives about 2000RPM width. Now I'll have to recheck the MA5 trans shift points again.

PostPosted: November 11, 2014, 4:45 am 

This engine is going to look sweet when it's done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 15, 2015, 7:03 pm 

Bump!

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 2:14 pm 

Bumpity bump bump.

Intrigued by this power-plant, especially for a LoCost project...

PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 3:40 pm 

It's been over 9 months since we last heard from Kickerfox. I wonder how it's going? May have to go check out the RX forum. :?

PostPosted: August 30, 2015, 8:21 am 

He's posting regular, gradual updates there. The RX guys continue to be giant assholes.

PostPosted: August 30, 2015, 8:30 am 

Quote:
The RX guys continue to be giant assholes.
No real surprise there. :BH:

Thanx for the update

PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 1:39 am 

Mmm, small V6 goodness...

I think this is a good fit, keeps it Japanese, keeps the engine weight down, and shouldn't kill handling too much if the weight distribution is kept in check.

I'm envious of the torque potential too. The 6-5-4-3 hill climbing can get old quick.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 12:26 pm 

Just figured I'd drop by here and see if there was any more interest. I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY love to see this engine in a Locost. Someone PLEASE do it. I'll give you all the support I can. Pop on Craigslist. There's a TON of Rodeos/Troopers/Amigos with bad transmissions and rotted frames but perfectly good engines. For under a grand you can get a 3.2L or 3.5L powerplant with the weight of an iron block i4 but 50% more power. DO IT!

Here's a little bracket I've been working on to clean up the accessories. Look where the alt and ac sit. LOW LOW LOW! The AC is easily bypassed by rerouting the belt, as is the power steering. If only the alternator was kept it'd be a tiny little serpentine belt. :)

Last edited by kickerfox on September 2, 2015, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next