LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 24, 2024, 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Good or bad idea?
Audi A2 1.4 TDI (90 hp) 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Audi A2 1.4 TDI (75 hp) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Audi A2 1.6 TFSI (110 hp) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Nah, choose a MX5 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Locost Audi A2
PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 4:57 pm 

Hello everyone,

My name is Nicolas and I'm 19 years old. I'm an absolute carlover, aviator and engineering student.
I have a question for the skilled builders, I'm inspired by this car (http://www.kineticvehicles.com/)
I have been thinking to use an Audi A2 (90 hp) as a donor car for a locost build, in my opinion it would give a great mileage, a good sound, german quality and a quick car. The engine is a 1.4 tdi diesel engine with low emissions and fuel consumption
The Audi A2 is FWD so I need to sort out how to make it RWD. And perhaps put another gearbox in it.
What do you reckon? Great idea or crazy idea?

Regards,

Nicolas

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Locost Audi A2
PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 5:30 pm 

Will it bolt up to a Porsche 968 bellhousing? Having a torque tube with the shifter mounted on it and no tunnel would look pretty neat :drive:

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 12:48 pm 

I don't know if it will bolt on, odds are higher because it's all part of the same group.
Should it be possible to make an adapter plate?

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 9:44 pm 

First off, I'm assuming that you're in Europe somewhere since the A2 never made it stateside as far as I know. ..
There are adapters made for the VW four banger to go on Toyota and Suzuki RWD transmissions (roughly $600 US), it's really not all that hard to make one if you take your time and measure very very precisely before you drill anything.
The Toyota 22R flywheel can be redrilled to fit a VW 4 banger as well.
However. ... If you are in fact in Europe you have available to you the 6 speed FWD 4 banger TDI Audi (01E) trans that we don't get over here which has a very diesel friendly final drive ratio and nice 3rd-6th gear ratios for a lightweight vehicle.
(If you find a pile of them let me know, there's always a small demand for them over here, SeattleTom might take one for example)
You'll still need to use the 968 (which is also an 01E trans even though Porsche calls it a G44) transmission housing, input shaft and first/second gear (3.182 first, 2.0 second) to bolt up to the torque tube but you can bolt a 924/944 torque tube and front bellhousing up to the 968 transmission if needed.
As I recall first and second must swap together as must third and fourth. .. Fifth and sixth are open choice.

PostPosted: June 30, 2014, 10:02 pm 

If VW have retained their bellhousing policy of the last 40 years, which is likely, then 1st and 2nd gen VW Passat and many Audi longitudinal FWD gearboxes will bolt straight on for a mid engine configuration.