LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 3, 2014, 10:58 am 

Please forgive me if this information is on here somewhere. I did a search, but didn't find anything.

I'm preparing my registration paperwork, but can't find verification of the engine and transmission numbers that match my bill of sale. There is usually a VIN number on the oil pan, but this has been removed (or maybe it was a replacement oil pan and never had one). Is there somewhere else that might have a serial or VIN number?

I'm looking for more than just casting numbers.

PostPosted: July 3, 2014, 4:52 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Understand that partial vins are required on the drivetrain, not complete vins like what is usually on the pan. The partial vin is required on the main housing (such as the block for an engine). It is a removable part. They should not be going by that anyway but it is convenient.

Also, there is no reason to assume the engine pulled from a 20 year old car is the original.

There is a wedge sticking out of the block on the left rear near the head and bell with a six digit number stamped into the top of it along with "BP". That number will not match any part of the car vin, but it will indicate whether the engine could have come in that car and it identifies that specific block. Mazda could (but won't) probably tell you exactly what block # came in what car.

Bottom line is, because you are asking for something, you must convince them it is okay. If you cannot, you will probably need a bond (if it is an option in TX) which will likely cost about $100 to protect the State if someone sues. I'm guessing $5,000 good for 4 years or something similar. DOR would likely determine the bond amount.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 3, 2014, 4:58 pm 

Might be easier to buy an oil pan from a buddy and get a bill of sale for an engine.

Thanks for the info.