LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 9:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It's offered in a FWD something as well. I've read several articles and they all mention at least 3 other vehicles it's in plus the crate engine.

You can bet it will be offered in others as well as time goes on simply because of mpg requirements for the manufacturers

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 20, 2014, 12:14 am 

carguy123 wrote:
It's offered in a FWD something as well.

No its not.

PostPosted: November 13, 2014, 12:36 am 

Here is the new 2015 Mustang Independent Setup for the rear suspension

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 6:55 pm 

Trochu wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
It's offered in a FWD something as well.

No its not.

I believe it is, the Lincoln MKC

Al

"2.3 L EcoBoost I-4[edit]
The 2.3L version of the EcoBoost engine debuted in the 2015 Lincoln MKC crossover. Based upon the 2.0L EcoBoost, the 2.3L engine produces 289 PS (213 kW; 285 hp) @5600 rpm, 305 lb·ft (414 N·m) @3000 rpm. This engine will be available in the 2015 Ford Mustang, with power figures said to be greater than 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) @5500 rpm, 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) @2500 rpm[34]"

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 2:40 pm 

raceral wrote:

The engine might be transverse mounted in the MKC (idk), but the 2.3 seems to be AWD only.

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 9:47 pm 

gregk wrote:
raceral wrote:

The engine might be transverse mounted in the MKC (idk), but the 2.3 seems to be AWD only.

It is probably transverse mounted no matter how many wheels it drives.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: September 1, 2016, 3:19 pm 

Just to update this, the 2.3 Ecoboost is available in the Focus RS.

PostPosted: September 2, 2016, 11:27 am 

Gee, this is an old topic. Just for giggles, I did a quick-and-dirty search for Ford EcoBoost crate engines. I expected to find the 2.3L EcoBoost from the current Mustang at 310 HP by now, but did not. There was only mention of a 2.0L, 4-cylinder EcoBoost. That's surprising as nothing in North America uses that engine as far as I'm aware. I expect it's from Europe instead.

But, here are a couple of links just for completeness:

1) 2.0L EcoBoost crate engine ==> https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com/cr ... fgodQbAELw

2) Engine Management System for Custom Applications ==> http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing- ... /M601720T/

If you did a more through search, you might find other options. In any case, get that hammer out to break the piggy bank with. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 2, 2016, 12:35 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Gee, this is an old topic. Just for giggles, I did a quick-and-dirty search for Ford EcoBoost crate engines. I expected to find the 2.3L EcoBoost from the current Mustang at 310 HP by now, but did not. There was only mention of a 2.0L, 4-cylinder EcoBoost. That's surprising as nothing in North America uses that engine as far as I'm aware. I expect it's from Europe instead.

the 2.0L ecoboost is in the FoST, Edge and Escape at least in the NA market. new from ford they have a package of the engine and ecu ~5k

PostPosted: September 2, 2016, 11:09 pm 

My fusion has a 2.0. The 2.3 comes in the Mustang and the focus rs along with some other products. They were developed from a Mazda 4 and should bolt to an NC Miata transmission. One of these days, I plan on building a locost with one. I think Keith tanner at flying miata would be a good resource for someone seeking more information on what would work.

PostPosted: September 2, 2016, 11:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Has anyone compared them for physical size, weight & $$ to the GM versions? I'm presuming GM also has standalone ecus.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 3, 2016, 4:33 am 

In the new Taurus SHO they have a twin turbo V6, might be a good choice for a At-om clone.

The guy I bought my Locost wheels from has a mid 90's SHO he wants $400 for. He said it was a running and driving car with low miles. I am going to revisit him next year and if he still has it I might pick it up for a rear engine build.

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 10:37 pm 

I am currently driving a rented Ford Edge with the 2.0 EcoBoost engine with the autotragic transmission and paddle shifters. Let me tell you, that little engine is impressive! It gets that heavy Edge up to 90 in nothing flat. I would love to have that in my Lotus 7 instead of the current Zetec 2.0.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: September 8, 2016, 2:12 pm 

I own an escape with the 1.6t, and my uncle has an edge with the 2l turbo. i would have to agree with you, ecoboost engines even from the factory are really nothing to scoff at.

soon these engines should be available from scrapyards, since they have been in production for a little while. i wonder what kind of longevity you could expect from them though, and how much more complicated wiring would be compared to "classic" engine choices.

i expect the engine size would be much bigger than typical choices for locosts. I would also like to know from a reliable source what kind of manual trans could be mated to those (non-2.3)

PostPosted: September 8, 2016, 3:01 pm 

mmraie wrote:
soon these engines should be available from scrapyards, since they have been in production for a little while. i wonder what kind of longevity you could expect from them though, and how much more complicated wiring would be compared to "classic" engine choices.

i expect the engine size would be much bigger than typical choices for locosts. I would also like to know from a reliable source what kind of manual trans could be mated to those (non-2.3)

the plug and play harness directly from ford is what makes it a great option. otherwise you need to drag along the cluster, keys and some other items to get through the security. They also sell a pnp harness for the na focus ti-vct engine if you feel the +300 horse power from the ecoboost kit is maybe a little much for a seven style car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next