LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 10:09 pm 

I'm a college-age enthusiast of British classics, and after initially being hesistant about building a Locost due to California regulations, I decided that a Locost build would be a good learning experience and keeping in spirit with my love of British "specials".

Originally, my plan was to build a replica of an early 1960's S2 Seven with BMC A-Series or Ford Kent power and period correct parts. But now, I'm kind of interested in stepping back in time some more and building a car similar to the Lotus Mk VI, and to use a Ford Sidevalve 1172 out of a Ford Popular/Anglia. There are some cool accessories being reproduced for this engine, including Aquaplane cylinder heads, manifolds, and cams.

What would you all recommend in this case? Give the little sidevalve a shot? Or stick to the A-Series or Kent? Either way, I'm sticking to a replica of the 50's/60's cars.

Thanks for your time everyone! :)

PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 10:33 pm 

First understand that I love the old british cars, raced a bugeye sprite for 13 years and my first car was a 1967 MG MGB GT that I drove for 10 years. I parted out a lot of cars keeping the gt on the road. So what I propose is that you get a Miata and dissect it and build the locost. there is a reason that it is the most common donor drive train. You will have a better car in the end and it will also be cheaper to build. Having the title to the donor car is a big plus in getting a car titled also.
PS The rebuld kit for the Miata motor including pistons was 310.00 off ebay. just saying
here is one that I built a couple of years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11764

PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 10:40 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

YoungBritDriver24 wrote:
I'm a college-age enthusiast of British classics, and after initially being hesistant about building a Locost due to California regulations...

As a college student, you know the need to do your homework. California's one of the easiest states in which to register a home-built car - Google "SB100."

Last edited by KB58 on November 25, 2014, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 10:55 pm 

the 1172 anglia motor is a little power house, or at least it was in the 50's, not so much now.

yes there are parts available and most general flat head tuning techniques apply.

the transmission however is another story, three speed with a big and when i say big i mean BIG!!! gap between 2nd. and 3rd. but i believe that a T9 5 speed will actually bolt up to the block as this has the standard English ford bell pattern but i have never done it so i can't say for sure.

its your car and provided you are prepared to do a lot of hard work and have a very flexible budget i don't see why you couldn't build it.

i do have a picture somewhere of the original that i took about 17 years ago at goodwood.

but we in it shall be remembered.