LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: V8 Info
PostPosted: January 16, 2012, 12:12 pm 

Anyone have dimensions for the BMW M60 v8? I think i may have a line on that motor with a matching 5 speed.

PostPosted: September 18, 2012, 10:47 pm 

We have been putting LS V8's in the Stalker for over 4 years now. This is not new. I have also looked into almost every engine available. OHC V6's or V8's will not fit. Almost any of them. In my opinioin, the LS V8 is the best V8 for the seven. Fairly cheap, reliable, and most importantly SMALL and light weight. If you want good deals on LS stuff. LS1tech.com You are in a whole nother realm of 7's with a V8. You can get a lot of hates from the purists but they don't admit their $60k caterham breaks all the time either. Good Luck, it a lot of fun! And of course, we have kits already made to accomodate this stuff. Oh BTW, the T-56 manual tranny is big at the back, we had to change the shape of our tunnel to accomodate them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZTNtcfEok

Scott Minehart
Brunton Auto
http://www.bruntonauto.com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 19, 2012, 6:06 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

There should be "fiction" section of the forum for sales propaganda. This guy is full of prunes.:P

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 19, 2012, 7:05 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
There should be "fiction" section of the forum for sales propaganda. This guy is full of prunes.:P

I kind of concur, also this is a build your self site, I doubt anyone is going to pay for things they can do themselves, as far as sales propaganda goes.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14045

Al

PostPosted: October 10, 2012, 10:33 pm 

I think the N* weight skewed here 309lbs bare

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089287.html

granted a plastic intake has gotta be like 60 lbs :ack:

Really just food for thought where light weight is the goal

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 7:14 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

On the Northstar photo, the camera is pointed far enough to the left (nice shot of floor to left of engine) to barely miss the weight indicated. The camera would pickup the reading. Then an indicated weight was superimposed on the lower right corner. It might as well be the weight of Sasquatch, Big Foot, Dan Quayle, the Easter Bunny, etc.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 9:37 am 
We are Slotus!

I don't think the Easter Bunny or Dan Quayle would go 309... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 11:26 am 

Considering the 3.0L Duratec V6 I weighed a couple years ago in a similar state of existence weighted ~270lb, depending on exactly what additional components you consider when determining the final weight I wouldn't say that number is totally out of line with what I would expect. Once adding in weights as the engine would be used in most cars from the starter, alternator, p/s pump, brackets and tensioner, headers, intake and efi, a/c compressor, flywheel, and clutch I would say that the number shown at least seems plausible and at least provides a reasonable datapoint. People always want to 'see a picture' of the exact state of the enigne to go with the weight. Even if they had shown the weight on the scale as shown in the picture, there is absolutely nothing to say that the number shown on the readout would be any more accurate than the one inserted into the photo, since all they'd have to do to fake it is incorrectly tare the scale before placing the engine on it.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 2:23 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

A picture with the weight in it is more plausible rather than a editted photo. One can still tell if the photo has been edited by saving and expanding the photo. It might as well be a photo of James May's rear. It still doesn't add up, plus these didn't come with manual transmissions. Lexus dohc v8 and previous ohv aluminum caddy v8 both weigh more, but they have about as much to do with this engine as the duratec v6 but if you believe it, so be it.

What can you tell me about Sasquatch? Isn't it from the Great Northwest?

LxWxHt

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

underdog51 wrote:
... In my opinioin, the LS V8 is the best V8 for the seven...

I was under the impression that some (most?) LS engines require a dry-sump setup in a Locost for any sort of longevity.

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 4:22 pm 

plus these didn't come with manual transmissions.
That doesn't stop people from using them with one, especially for the types of uses generally being discussed on this site. For those people, it would be a part of the fully dressed weight. Nobody said it was required to be in the comparable weights if not being used.

Lexus dohc v8 and previous ohv aluminum caddy v8 both weigh more
Feel free to provide a photo of each proving them to be heavier in the exact same level of (un)dress, including a completely legible scale readout captured within the frame of each picture.

but they have about as much to do with this engine as the duratec v6
Which as merely a reference data point to which I personally can attest for gauging if the claim is even in the right ballpark, is probably at least as delusionally valid due to its otherwise somewhat similar type of physical construction and bulk to a N* with two fewer cylinders as would be the alternative of internet hearsay weights (and pictures that any idiot could fake if they actually wanted to) for other V8...Especially those with pushrods or iron blocks. Yes the Lexus V8 would have been closer to ideal to compare against, but I have not personally weighed one of those nor seen any type of verified weight for one in the exact same configuration.

What can you tell me about Sasquatch? Isn't it from the Great Northwest?
Indeed he does reside not too far away. But it really doesn't matter what I could tell you or the photos I might be kind enough to share with you, since you would only be willing to consider when combined with specifically the easiest to fake type of photo evidence...Which I just didn't capture at the time.

Unfortunately, as is the the nature of the internet, it's quite easy to wind up in that murky gray area between healthy skeptic and extremely cynical conspiracy theorist.

Last edited by Driven5 on October 11, 2012, 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 5:41 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Why do you continue to state the obvious, using the biggest words you can google?

I have weighed the caddy and machined some parts for a fellow with a lexus powered miata who also weighed his engine, but you don't believe me either, so it is a moot point.

It seems to come down to your view that we should all believe an editted photo over anything typed on the web, because you have been intimate with a ford.

Thank you for expressing your opinion, but there is no point in this bickering over nothing. I've noticed your posts have been increasingly aggressive over the past couple months, but I think this is the first time it has been toward me. You appear to have other off-forum issues to resolve.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 6:26 pm 

Whoah, lets take a step back here...Nowhere am I trying to say that the weight being discussed is necessarily correct/truthful, that my frame of reference to determine the plausiblity of the claim is perfect, that your (previously unstated) frame of reference for determining the lack there of is imperfect, or that I actually have any reason to doubt your weights if you would care to share more details about the exact state of build the engines were in at the time...Although a picture showing a good view of the engine in the as weighed condition might save you some time there. :wink:

In fact I would be very interested to know more about the engine weights you have. I know I've seen your Caddy 4.9L post in the engine weights thread, but I believe you were vague on the specifics of what all might not have been visible in the picture.

...Maybe both of us (among others) could stand to be a bit less snarky at times when sharing our own opinions regarding other peoples statements which we happen to not necessarily see eye-to-eye with. :cheers:

PostPosted: October 11, 2012, 9:01 pm 

WOW :BH:

I have 2 n*'s in my basement , both due to head bolts. Just from moving it down there I believe what the scale says even if its detached from the photo . Yeah theres no AC unit attached or exhaust or power steering, but all that seems moot where it would be chucked.

Could weigh one without the internals & really make the scale light, but... of course I'd be doctoring the photo & who'd believe me anyway :cheers:

PostPosted: October 12, 2012, 12:35 am 

V8 weight is a subject that lights the flames for some reason, it's common throughout car culture forums of all sorts. One guy makes a guess at what a bracket weighs, another guy makes a different guess, and pretty soon there's guys writing YO MAMA PAYS CELLO at each other in all caps.

Re Scott from Brunton, I think we should cut him some slack. I doubt he though he was going to sell us Stalker Ms when he showed us his suspension, he does have experience putting V8s in seven-inspired vehicles, and I'm willing to allow him one free "And of course, we have kits already made to accomodate this stuff" per post in exchange for his inspiration and information. Besides, his writing style displays what my father referred to as "...a refreshing lack of false modesty."

I'd miss Scott if we chased him away.

PS--Pardon the typo; Yoyo Ma plays cello, not yo' mama.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next