LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: V8 Info
PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 4:49 pm 
The voice of reason

I'll take a look at the AJP, sounds just the ticket. Perhaps I could paint "DFV" on the valve covers? Availability seems like a big issue.

I found some diagrams showing Ford engine sizes in their parts catalog. I think it gives a good indication of why the 302 pushrod motor makes a much easier job of fitting it to these small cars. It;s 6 inches shorter and 10 inches narrower than the modern units.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 6:24 pm 

The AJP Mellings are about . This guy has one and although he says its without manifolds I am sure you could get it complete for that money http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVR-CERBERA-A ... 33937cb077
One recently sold for £2,500 complete with the T5 wc behind it. They also use the reverse starter from the back of the engine because of the small flywheel.

The 302 in the diagram above @ 20"3/4 is with the full height pan, the kevco pan will take another two and a half inches off that height http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201134539389? ... 1423.l2649

Bob

Top view of a scrap 302 block in the standard Haynes chassis, there really are not that many issues fitting one of these small Ford units within the scope of the standard set up, if a carb was fitted it would only be the filter that stuck through the bonnet.

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: August 22, 2014, 1:36 pm 

That Melling V8 looks like something to design a car around.
But in the U.S. where even a Kent 1600 is a PITA to work with, parts would be a real i$$ue.

PostPosted: August 22, 2014, 3:34 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
That Melling V8 looks like something to design a car around.
But in the U.S. where even a Kent 1600 is a PITA to work with, parts would be a real i$$ue.

A good friend of mine is a TVR technician and he reckons Melling has used a lot of off the shelf parts from various manufacturers when he built this engine ,rebuilds and spares for these engines are not a problem once you know what comes from where. I suppose if you had one it would be useful to have a contact this side of the pond. On this subject if anyone needs british spares pm me, I have a mate that travels back and forth to the states on a regular basis.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

Post subject: Re: V8 Info Northstar
PostPosted: April 26, 2015, 10:24 am 

Just joined and came across this info.
I've used a Northstar in a trike build and used the factory ECM. There is a module you can build for about $15 that bypasses the VATS system so you don't have to get it reprogrammed. It does have to be pre 96. I have the diagram to build it if you want a copy.

Thanks.

PostPosted: October 16, 2016, 9:59 am 

Getting the later pcms unlocked is only 75 plus shipping. That price will also get the speedometer recalibrated, and whatever else is necessary, if you are adapting it to a T5 or a 4L60E.

PostPosted: December 27, 2020, 4:39 am 

Okay, if I've understood all this correctly a 442 with BOP/R and TR8 trans should fit together just fine even if it will be "Underpowered". :roll:
Need to keep it mostly simple in order to remain "Locost" but leaning toward a pair of Weber DCNF's adapted to a vintage 2x2 intake for style points over a mundane single Holly.
I've used the BOP/R in several cars, I like to use "Too much cam" and original Rhoads lifters for a real kick around 2800 RPM.
They rev just fine, but I do use a billet rocker shaft for long life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8