LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 1:27 pm 

Has anyone considered or utilized the 2.0L Ford Ecoboost motor in a locost yet?

Here is the link to the engine details:

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/p ... ield=25303

I have seen it for as low as $5,600 including engine, turbo, intercooler, and wiring harness. Also I believe the crate harness unleashes more torque than advertised and as utilized in the Focus ST (They detuned the boost on the low end to reduce torque steer). Here is a dyno graph I found comparing the advertised and stock Focus ST curve vs the curve unleashed by the crate harness.

I did a search and saw some people discussing it a while back but they seemed deterred by price (previously listed as 8K for motor and another 1900 for harness). The price is now at least 4K less and it seems like a more viable option. Still not quite locost, but some people like the idea of a dead reliable and strong engine like an ecoboost, not to mention the motor is new. Also, the dyno graphs seem to show that the turbo is quite small for the motor, which would lead me to believe the lag would be minimal, and there is also headroom for more power later if you should be so inclined.

Questions/Concerns I can think of:

1. It is designed as a front drive motor. Wonder if you would need to modify the oil pan for oil starvation issues or if a dry sump would be necessary to run slicks on track.

2. What transmission to utilize. I believe ford ranger and NC miata transmissions work, but I read that they can't hanndle the torque. Perhaps someone makes bellhousings to adapt it to a T5 or T56 for example.

3. Temperature concerns with turbo motor. From what I have read about the focus st (where engine is from), for track duty and larger intercooler and oil cooler may be helpful in keeping temperatures in check.

Anyway, thought this would be a good spot to revitalize the ecoboost discussion!

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 1:43 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

SkiRideDrive wrote:
1. Wonder if you would need to modify the oil pan for oil starvation issues or if a dry sump would be necessary to run slicks on track.
2. What transmission to utilize. I believe ford ranger and NC miata transmissions work, but I read that they can't hanndle the torque. Perhaps someone makes bellhousings to adapt it to a T5 or T56 for example.
3. Temperature concerns with turbo motor. From what I have read about the focus st (where engine is from), for track duty and larger intercooler and oil cooler may be helpful in keeping temperatures in check.

#1. This will be a potential issue for any engine used in a Locost; it depends on the particular engine design and how hard the Locost corners. Worst case, baffling or a dry sump may be required (which, other than cost, is the best thing you can do for an engine).

#2. You can always use it with its transverse transmission and build a mid-engine Midlana :)

#3. This is an issue regardless of engine but since the Locost weighs a lot less than the donor car, and if air flow into and out of the radiator is thought through, you'll be fine.

PS. I see that you're in Carlsbad. When I get some time I might be willing to give you a ride in Midlana to help you make up your mind.

Last edited by KB58 on January 27, 2016, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 2:03 pm 

KB58 wrote:
SkiRideDrive wrote:
1. Wonder if you would need to modify the oil pan for oil starvation issues or if a dry sump would be necessary to run slicks on track.

#1. This will be a potential issue for any engine used in a Locost; it depends on the particular engine design and how hard the Locost corners. Worst case, baffling or a dry sump may be required (which, other than cost, is the best thing you can do for an engine).

#2. You can always use it with its transverse transmission and build a mid-engine Midlana :)

#3. This is an issue regardless of engine but since the Locost weighs a lot less than the donor car, and if air flow into and out of the radiator is thought through, you'll be fine.

PS. I see that you're in Carlsbad... I'm in San Marcos. When I get some time I might be willing to give you a ride in Midlana to help you make up your mind.

Solid points. And that sounds great! I will shoot you a private message.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 2:48 pm 

I believe the EcoBoost is the same block as the Duratec.
I've seen an EcoBoost intake bolted on a 2.3 (it fitted correctly) so.......

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 3:04 pm 

Its a cheap engine second hand over here, low mileage ST engines are between £750-£1000 complete. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk ... SwLnlWpIt6

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 3:17 pm 

From the dyno graph it looks like a pretty potent unit. There shouldn't be any oil issues specifically because it was designed for a front drive application, but that doesn't mean that it won't either, but isn't it the same engine that is going into the SVT Mustangs, which are rear wheel drive? That could also solve the transmission issue, but at the same time, adaptor plates aren't very hard to make. I even made my own flywheel to use the engine and transmission I have in my car. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue either, as KB58 mentioned, a locost is much lighter than a Focus, and as long as you make sure there's enough air flow, it should be good.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 3:48 pm 

I looked into one, there was a possibility I could get an engine for free. But there is lack of aftermarket support for the direct injection motors. There is the Ford Racing ECU but is not fully programmable. The direct injection make the setup very complex. The place that had the motor destroyed 3 on the dyno and have had to invest in a Motec system and direct support from Motec to get there project complete. I am sure it will change and the after market will fill the gap, with the new Turbo Mustang I am sure support will increase.

Graham

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 4:10 pm 

FastG wrote:
I looked into one, there was a possibility I could get an engine for free. But there is lack of aftermarket support for the direct injection motors. There is the Ford Racing ECU but is not fully programmable. The direct injection make the setup very complex. The place that had the motor destroyed 3 on the dyno and have had to invest in a Motec system and direct support from Motec to get there project complete. I am sure it will change and the after market will fill the gap, with the new Turbo Mustang I am sure support will increase.

Graham

Not so much since the ST came out in the states. Corksport as well as other companies have parts for them and Cobb makes a tuner for the focus ST and the fiesta ST.

Bob, those engine can't be found for that price over here, the cars are way too new for the engine to be sold for that cheap. Heck, it only took how long for the ST and RS focus to come over here? Funny as ford is an "American" company.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 4:54 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
From the dyno graph it looks like a pretty potent unit. There shouldn't be any oil issues specifically because it was designed for a front drive application, but that doesn't mean that it won't either, but isn't it the same engine that is going into the SVT Mustangs, which are rear wheel drive? That could also solve the transmission issue, but at the same time, adaptor plates aren't very hard to make. I even made my own flywheel to use the engine and transmission I have in my car. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue either, as KB58 mentioned, a locost is much lighter than a Focus, and as long as you make sure there's enough air flow, it should be good.
Kristian

I believe the mustang motor is a 2.3L. Not sure how it differs from the 2.0L that they offer as a crate engine. It does seem to make more power though.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 4:56 pm 

Briggs wrote:
FastG wrote:

Graham

Not so much since the ST came out in the states. Corksport as well as other companies have parts for them and Cobb makes a tuner for the focus ST and the fiesta ST.

Bob, those engine can't be found for that price over here, the cars are way too new for the engine to be sold for that cheap. Heck, it only took how long for the ST and RS focus to come over here? Funny as ford is an "American" company.

Do those tuners work on the ford racing/crate engine harness/ecu just the same as the stock focus st harness?

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 5:15 pm 

The Cobb tuners and the like work with the stock ECU and harness, the Ford Racing is a stand aloan ECU and harness that is not EPA complaint. The Ford Racing unit is the way to go, the stock ECU interfaces with to many other systems in the car that a Locost just does not have. But if you look at the inlet setup it just does not work on a Locost engine bay, but when other choice is there,,,, nothing. I looked long and hard at the Ecoboost in late 2014, and decided the Honda K24A2 setup was the best route, even with a free Ecoboost engine. I am very happy with the choice I made

Graham

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 6:23 pm 

FastG wrote:
The Cobb tuners and the like work with the stock ECU and harness, the Ford Racing is a stand aloan ECU and harness that is not EPA complaint. The Ford Racing unit is the way to go, the stock ECU interfaces with to many other systems in the car that a Locost just does not have. But if you look at the inlet setup it just does not work on a Locost engine bay, but when other choice is there,,,, nothing. I looked long and hard at the Ecoboost in late 2014, and decided the Honda K24A2 setup was the best route, even with a free Ecoboost engine. I am very happy with the choice I made

Graham

Thanks for the info. Would you mind expanding on why the inlet setup doesn't work on a locost? Do you mean the stock airbox? To me the engine in crate form at least seemed fairly compact.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 6:44 pm 

I cant see why the cars ECU cant be made to work but there is always this http://twinkam.co.uk/epages/191f6b26-60 ... ucts/SC356

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 7:07 pm 

I cannot find a good picture, but I think the inlet points directly down, just were the steering shaft goes, or maybe it points directly at the firewall, I cannot remember. The engine is very neat and tidy with the turbo directly bolting to the head so there is no exhaust manifold.

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 7:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

As I understand it the only factory crate engines that are emissions compliant are GMs.

Which makes me thing the new Deloreans will be powered by GM motors.

What would be wrong with using the Ford racing ecu for our cars?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.