LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 13, 2017, 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3, 2016, 9:56 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
Driving a 2016 Jetta for a rental car today.

Now, normally, a rental car drives like a rental car. You know, numb steering and numb brakes and you have to kick the hell outta it to get moving.

But this thing has a drive train that, pound for pound, hauls (donkey). Low-end torque! And its auto as that sequential / fake manual feature where you really *could* run it like a manual if you wanted to.

So I'm wondering if one could find a trashed Jetta/Golf and use it as a middie drive train, or even figure out how to mount a trans on it for a rear-engine adventure? OH, and gotta figure out how to run the ECU, there is that.

But damn, this thing gets out and runs!

Not to long ago there was a kit available to cut up a Jetta, move the engine in the back and instal some body panels to make it a sporty looking coup... Can't remember the name of it though...

Brian

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 7:51 am 

Brian - Diva Builder wrote:
geek49203 wrote:
Driving a 2016 Jetta for a rental car today.

Now, normally, a rental car drives like a rental car. You know, numb steering and numb brakes and you have to kick the hell outta it to get moving.

But this thing has a drive train that, pound for pound, hauls (donkey). Low-end torque! And its auto as that sequential / fake manual feature where you really *could* run it like a manual if you wanted to.

So I'm wondering if one could find a trashed Jetta/Golf and use it as a middie drive train, or even figure out how to mount a trans on it for a rear-engine adventure? OH, and gotta figure out how to run the ECU, there is that.

But damn, this thing gets out and runs!

Not to long ago there was a kit available to cut up a Jetta, move the engine in the back and instal some body panels to make it a sporty looking coup... Can't remember the name of it though...

Brian

Here is a build using the kit I think you are talking about.
http://g3f-jlphil.blogspot.com/#!/2016/01/51.html

The company is Smith Performance and they make a kit to turn a Jetta into this.

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 3:35 pm 

Quote:

Brian

Here is a build using the kit I think you are talking about.
http://g3f-jlphil.blogspot.com/#!/2016/01/51.html

The company is Smith Performance and they make a kit to turn a Jetta into this.

That is the company... I looked it up again last night...
The Ute is his latest kit, previous to that he did a Jeta with the engine moved to the rear and completely different body panels...

Quick google search and found this...
https://smythpreformance.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/smyth-performancemid-engine-sports-car-based-on-vw-jetta-floorpan/

It is called a G3F

Looks to me that he is no longer making the kit and is concentrating on the Ute only..

Brian.

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 3:49 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I'd say the "worst donor" is one that's bought just because it's really cheap, then learning later that it's because parts are hard to get and/or really expensive.

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 4:05 pm 

I'm here to stick up for Subaru. Dave, based on your username.. I'm guessing you're 40 years old. And if you're 40, then you probably were already working in a machine shop in the early 2000's.. In which case, you saw the atrocity that was the EJ25D and the early EJ251s. Sure they had headgasket issues, but an MLS headgasket and the right torque on the heads (which most people can't seem to get right) And boom. reliable, smooth, 170hp. I've owned 6 subarus. Turbo, supercharged, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, only one has ever left me on the roadside, and it was because a NY state thruway pothole sheared 3 wheel studs off my right front hub. I understand that the powertrain is not "ideal" for a locost, but simply because of the width. The power to weight and size ratio of those motors is impressive.. I'd also like to point out that no other 4 banger from that era delivers torque like the H4.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod