LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 1:19 pm 

Has anyone done anything like this here yet?

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 7:32 pm 

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 1:44 pm 

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 2:49 pm 

All the scanning was done with Xbox Kinect (you can get these for under $20 on CL or pawn shops) and a freeware program called reconstructme. https://youtu.be/crnKTmJ5xug

Cleaned up with meshmixer.

https://youtu.be/8ECNP3WN_-Q

The slice was done with 123dmake.

https://youtu.be/g1PRcqRTmyc

If you want to tile it and make patterns on a regular printer you can load the slices back in meshmixer and save them as a DAE. The DAE file is sketchup friendly and can be printed on regular printer as full scale patterns. http://www.sketchup-ur-space.com/2014/j ... tchup.html

PostPosted: December 13, 2016, 2:19 pm 

I have been building a library of miata scans that I am rebuilding from scratch as clean polygon models:

If I have time this weekend, I'll scan an engine and upload file.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 11:46 am 

asmasm wrote:
I have been building a library of miata scans that I am rebuilding from scratch as clean polygon models:

If I have time this weekend, I'll scan an engine and upload file.

What kind of scanner and software are you using? Your results (I'm assuming they have been imported into some kind of modeling software) look really, really good. If fact, they're the best I've seen outside of examples of stuff from high-powered, high-dollar race teams. Even the welds look totally real-life. It would be great if you could share your entire workflow and the S/W and H/W components you used with us.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 12:28 pm 

That is a from scratch polygon model + zbrush sculpt using the scan as reference material.

This is what the scan looked like:

I get much cleaner results with my current setup. I shot some quick photos of a vvt miata engine today. If the results aren't clean enough I will bum a dead engine off of someone and spraypaint it all white before shooting it again. I'm going to be doing a scan of a miata front UCA soon. When I do I will post the result and workflow.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 2:36 pm 

Miata engine scan:

I'll do another scan on a junk block painted white- The areas that show a lot of errors are shiny surfaces (compare the cast iron to the powder coated engine stand).

As far as the workflow goes, to do this kind of scanning you need a decent camera, software, and a relatively power computer. For software I like reality capture. I'm shooting the photos under controlled lighting with a nikon d800E, a good lens, a tripod, and a cable release. The mesh this generates is 14 million triangles, which is super overkill mocking up parts so you can get away with a much lower resolution camera. The main thing is keeping as much in focus as possible, making tack sharp images, treating shiny surfaces with paint or scan spray, and shooting around the object in circles with only a few inches of movement each time. The software looks at the photos to find marker points. If it can find a point on several photos taken at different angles, it can generate a 3d position for that point. Do that a few million times and you have a lot of detailed 3d information.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 4:59 pm 

just got done doing one (transmission) and its a pain in the ass!! Not the scanning.. putting it into solidworks and not having it be a 145mb file! After making it uglier by reducing the mesh i was able to get it down to only 45mb. My computer is really well built for this stuff and it still didn't like it.

Still trying to figure out how to make it usable after scanning....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 5:32 pm 

Yeah, solidworks really doesn't like this kind super dense mesh data.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 8:43 pm 

I am going to try 123d catch and see how that does. I'm not sure how accurate it is or how well it will scale. I will let you guys know

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 9:26 pm 

This is pretty cool stuff! 8)

mjalaly wrote:
Still trying to figure out how to make it usable after scanning....
Can you add accurate dimensionality to the model once it is in Solidworks? For instance, add a known dimension between two points on the mesh model and have it scale all dimensions proportionally for the rest of the model? I purchased some "factory" drawings of the LS3 several years ago, so could provide specific dimensions for the motor model shown in your post. Alternatively, one could measure between two exhaust manifold bolt holes on a real motor and use those. Or between two points on any object being scanned.

If a dimensioned model was accurate enough for 3D prototyping, it should work well enough for Locost design.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 10:57 am 

For photo scanning workflows you dimension the model as part of the can process. Basically you pick out a few points and tell the software how far apart they are. Accuracy of scale is based on how well the scan is resolved and how accurate you are transferring your measurements to the software.

This isn't an engine but the result is very good. This is a miata FLCA:

Last edited by asmasm on December 15, 2016, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 11:07 am 

And, how does ZBrush figure in? Do you use it only for smoothing the scanned model?

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 11:09 am 

For the red FUCA I posted above I used zbrush to sculpt the welds. That model is not a scan. It was built from scratch in 3dsmax, then brought into zbrush to do the weld details. The scan was used as reference material so I could build an accurate model.

Some background, I am a video game artist and I have been slowly working towards building a VR game where you can fully disassemble NA and NB miatas. I will likely never finish the project but I will end up with a lot of nice stuff for my portfolio and a library of scans I plan to share. Goal 1 is build the the complete roller skate. If I get that far I will scan and remodel the chassis and body panels. That should be enough detail for people to design most parts for the car (engine swaps, aero parts, turbo manifolds, exhaust routing...)

Last edited by asmasm on December 15, 2016, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.