LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28, 2017, 7:56 pm 

I'm not an expert by any mean however the windage tray is to prevent/reduce the crank from contact the oil which increases frictional forces on the engine and causes the oil to froth. The baffle that I made is used to try and keep the oil in the pan when cornering at high Gs (My car pulls up to 1.8G).

Using the stock pan on long sweepers the oil has a tendency to travel into the head and get sucked into the intake causing white smoke from the exhaust. This also causes oil starvation and low oil pressure due to air getting sucked into the pump.

A dry sump would be the ideal solution and what a lot of the Mod guys go with. The only dry sump kits I found for the S2000 are silly money, over $10,000. The baffle I made just cost time.

I thought about some type of extension post from the windage tray but think it would be very hard to mount the baffle with a good seal to keep the oil in the pan. I have decided to weld it myself and if I cannot do a good enough job I will find a local Tig welder.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: January 29, 2017, 5:27 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:

I thought about some type of extension post from the windage tray but think it would be very hard to mount the baffle with a good seal to keep the oil in the pan. I have decided to weld it myself and if I cannot do a good enough job I will find a local Tig welder.

The baffles do not need to be liquid tight. They only need to slow down and limit the fluid migration around the pan and the pump intake.

You could also use self tappers and some RTV to mount the baffle plate in place.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log