LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 19, 2017, 4:20 pm 

Hi, I've got a Locost I started building a hundred years ago with 12A Rotary power, the car sat at about 75-80% complete for a decade and now I'm trying to finish it. It's a "Book Chassis" that is +2" wider and longer with early RX7 Rear axle and Miata spindles/brakes and narrowed rack. The 12a motors I had for it got stolen and I think I want to take a different direction now. What version of early Miata motor makes the most sense and what do folks do for exhaust/wiring/fuel to get it making noise? I'm not building a racecar so I'm more interested in achieving a high degree of practicality rather than max performance.

I don't mind moving some chassis tubes around and I don't need to do it super cheap but I'd like to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I've poked around in a bunch of build logs here but haven't really found what I need. I've helped build a BMW 1.8 Locost and built another roller w/ RX7 rear and Miata spindles for someone else who destroyed it trying to put a SBC in it but, after screwing around with this stuff for 15 years I still don't have one of my own. I'm not "Limeykid" but I'm about a B+ welder and fabricator and want to get this thing done.

I guess what I'm asking is what Miata engine is the best candidate and what I should get from the engine donor. Is the factory fuel pump the best choice and how much of the wiring harness and electrical system should I get from the donor and if there are better options for some of those components. I've been told that I don't want to use the factory fuel pump but that sounds like suspicious advice. Is there anyone who's got some experience and advice who can give me a bit of direction or point me to the appropriate Build Log or website?

Thanks...

PostPosted: September 26, 2017, 8:41 am 

Hate to ask about the stolen 12a's, but I don't suppose you have any fancy carbs, or parts for them do you? I have a 12a in my build so i'm trying to build and inventory of spare parts etc. Thanks and good luck with the build.

For what it's worth, i dropped a Miata 1.6 into a Volvo amazon, i kept a stripped down loom and original fuel pump, runs great! Make sure you don't cut any of the MAF wires.

PostPosted: September 26, 2017, 1:35 pm 

Spindizzy wrote:

I guess what I'm asking is what Miata engine is the best candidate and what I should get from the engine donor. Is the factory fuel pump the best choice and how much of the wiring harness and electrical system should I get from the donor and if there are better options for some of those components. I've been told that I don't want to use the factory fuel pump but that sounds like suspicious advice. Is there anyone who's got some experience and advice who can give me a bit of direction or point me to the appropriate Build Log or website?

Thanks...

the best miata candidate is the one you can get in your drive way. There really isnt a big difference in miatas. The 1.6 vs 1.8 power difference really isnt that big. The big jump is when they went to the duratec 2.0, but those are much more expensive. The 1.8 miata did have the torsen LSD option that is better than the VLSD that some of the 1.6 came with. However, I wouldn't limit my search to just 1.8 miatas with Torsen LSD as you may be waiting awhile to find one for the right price.

Since you don't need suspension, or steering, you will need the engine, transmission, diff, axles, wiring harness (NA miatas have one big harness for the whole car. not sure on NB or NC), ECU (unless you go stand alone), gauge cluster (unless you are using aftermarket). depending on your gas tank you may be able to reuse the in tank fuel pump from the miata. I am using an external pump. pros and cons each way.

If you can find a whole car cheap enough and have the space, you can part it out, keep what you need and make money for the other parts you need. I have parted two miatas and made money on both even after keeping both drivetrains and suspensions.

With so many different directions you can take one of these builds it is hard for us to give you advice without knowing your goals and plans for the car.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: September 26, 2017, 7:05 pm 

American engines are also a good choice as they are plentiful and wile typically heavier they also have more grunt. The Stalkers use the V6 supercharger that can be had for around $500 or an LS motor which is a little more expensive. The new 1.4 turbo Chevy Cruise motor is a good choice for lightweight power and is becoming very popular in the racing world. Having said that "Miata is always the answer" is a quote I hear nearly every time I go racing.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 8:26 am 

I saw you had emailed me, i've pm'd you.

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 1:12 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
American engines are also a good choice as they are plentiful and wile typically heavier they also have more grunt. The Stalkers use the V6 supercharger that can be had for around $500 or an LS motor which is a little more expensive. The new 1.4 turbo Chevy Cruise motor is a good choice for lightweight power and is becoming very popular in the racing world. Having said that "Miata is always the answer" is a quote I hear nearly every time I go racing.

I agree about the virtues of some of the other engines folks put in these things, I'd like to build at least one more(ok, 2) if I live long enough to finish this one the next one would likely be a big V6 with IRS and a lot more tire. This one I just want to get going as soon as I can, the Miata seems like the one that's been done the most. Plus I've had so many RX7s and early Miatas that I sort of have a soft spot for anything Mazda. I've done the 500hp Big Block thing in various Darts and Dusters and would do one of those again before I did a Monster 7.

The 3rd one I'd like to build would be something really close to the original 7, skinny tires, too small to be practical and as light as possible. I have a 79' Corolla 1100 pushrod motor and gearbox that would be unburstable that would allow me to drive it everywhere with my foot on the floor without anyone noticing...

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 4:02 pm 

I think a 1.6 or 1.8 Miata is the way to go. I'm sure you have your own preferences on which of those engines is best. IMO the RX-7 rear axle is just about ideal for a Locost--light weight and a decent track width, and live axle Locosts are easier to build. You just need mounts for the engine and transmission, and a custom driveshaft. Get that thing on the road.

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 11:29 pm 

Beware, the Miata is a strait-up vertical OHC, so may be too tall for your use.
Not easy to shorten it.
I've recently been through the "Dang-it, this IS the engine I am going to MAKE fit" dance, with my Alfa and dry-sump.
The Miata is as tall as an Alfa and more complex.
Measure twice, pay once. :wink: