LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 29, 2005, 11:34 pm 
http://www.esslingeracing.com/index.htm

Esslinger has made many advancements to the Pinto base engine. They are now lighter, smaller, and more powerful. Shorter thanks to different sumps at least. I just thought I would mention this site to those interested in the 2.3 or 2.0 engines.

PostPosted: October 30, 2005, 7:01 am 
Too bad everything on their site is a pdf :(

I'm still in the deciding phase.. I'm leaning toward rotary, but the 4's are also tempting.. arrgh.. decision decision...

dale

PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 12:23 am 

phooka wrote:
Too bad everything on their site is a pdf :(

I'm still in the deciding phase.. I'm leaning toward rotary, but the 4's are also tempting.. arrgh.. decision decision...

dale

I too am intrugued by the rotary, but I could build a really mean 4 banger for what it would cost to get a quality rebuilt rotary. Any cheap, available rotary is likely to be thrashed. 'Round these parts anyways.

Sorry for the threadjack Southy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 12:28 am 
it's alright chetcpo, I don't think we have enough members yet to worry about it. I have resouses for rotary stuff. whre are you located?

PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 10:30 am 
chetcpo wrote:
I too am intrugued by the rotary, but I could build a really mean 4 banger for what it would cost to get a quality rebuilt rotary. Any cheap, available rotary is likely to be thrashed. 'Round these parts anyways.

Sorry for the threadjack Southy.

Rebuilding rotary's is surprisingly simple. The hardest part is cleaning everything. Horsepower is easy through porting also. The biggest draw back I have with a rotary, especially a ported one, is the NOISE. They are LOUD.

OB for thread: The Mustang SVO had a 2.3 with a Turbo for several years. I believe it was pumping out around 200hp. That'd be nice. :)

dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 10:30 am 

southysuper wrote:
it's alright chetcpo, I don't think we have enough members yet to worry about it. I have resouses for rotary stuff. whre are you located?

Charleston WV. Insert best WV joke here lol. :P

Dale, I've only rebuilt a couple engines, one CSB and a 2.0DOHC Neon motor so I don't have a ton of experience. Both these jobs were easy, , just had to buy parts and bolt them up. You really think I could rebuild a rotary and have it be both reliable and powerful?

As a side note I club race Neons (SCCA) and I get to hear these rotary powered cars up close and personal and they are unbelievably loud, fire spitting evil bastards. I could stand in the infield by madness and hear the rotaries long before they arrived and long after they have passed. Without doubt the loudest cars on the track that I have heard. I really don't mind it though. :twisted:

Last edited by chetcpo on October 31, 2005, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 10:37 am 
chetcpo wrote:

Dale, I've only rebuilt a couple engines, one CSB and a 2.0DOHC Neon motor so I don't have a ton of experience. Both these jobs were easy, , just had to buy parts and bolt them up. You really think I could rebuild a rotary and have it be both reliable and powerful?

Most of my experience has been rebuilding piston engines. However, Atkins rotory has a video that details how to rebuild a 13b. I used this to successfully rebuild the 12a that's in my 85 RX-7. I'd have to say, yes, you can rebuild one.

dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 10:55 am 
http://www.mazdarotaryengines.com/

This will give you an estimate on rebuilt units. the Atkins Video is pretty good, but Rotary engines are not for everybody. I've come back to the side of good and I'm going pistons unless I can get a complete renesis hydro steam rotar for the same price as my Ford units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 12:06 pm 

The rebuilt parts for rotaries are pretty pricey though. The flywheel is a PITA to get off - huge socket needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2005, 1:15 pm 
Dave wrote:
The rebuilt parts for rotaries are pretty pricey though. The flywheel is a PITA to get off - huge socket needed.

Depends what you are replacing. Many rebuilds only require gaskets and housing seals. Unfortunately you never know what you are getting into when you open the engine. Bad case is apex seals need replacing, worst case is complete housings need replacing. Of course I've heard of people repairing housings with JB weld and getting 20k miles out of them. :roll:

So yes, they can be quite expensive to rebuild - or extemely cheap. It all depends on your supply of available parts.

fwiw 12a rotor housings are no longer made either. The supply of these is already fairly scarce and will continue to get worse. 84-85 GSL-SE 13b housings aren't compatible with later housings.

dale (the other one)