LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honda K24A2 inlet swap
PostPosted: April 26, 2018, 10:47 am 

I used the basic swap engine swap setup from kmiata.com when I installed the K24 motor. It all went well, I used the S2000 manifold with the kmiata adapter. As soon as I opened the hood at the dyno shop the operator said "why did you use that manifold?". The way the frame pinches down means there is not a lot of room for a good filter setup, plus the K24 likes a long inlet setup so the filter was real close to the exhaust manifold. This winter I decided to make the swap to a Honda Civic SI manifold, a bargain at $230 brand new from a local Honda dealer. It's supposed to be the best of the stock Honda manifolds. I found an adapter to allow be to the the same throttle body I was using on the S2000 manifold, a 70mm Ballard. The injectors and fuel rail were also a direct swap. Making hold downs for the S2000 fuel rail was proving tough, so I ended up using a cheap K24 fuel rail. I had to put a 45 degree hose on the upper coolant line to lower it a bit. The SI is a fly by wire car so there is not throttle cable stop, I fabricated a new cable swap. The throttle cable did not like the hard turn to the new rear mounted TB, so I ended up make a new cable that had a more relaxed route. Other than that the swap went very well. I plan on building an airbox above the passengers feet and giving it a dedicated cold air intake. Because I used the same throttle body and injectors the motor just fired right up the idle was still the same as before. I did add a new exhaust setup at the same time so we are not comparing apples to apples but the car is MUCH faster I was very surprised when I got into it the first time.

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 7:40 pm 

Very nice. I'm hoping to use that same intake route. Initially I was set on a new manifold but now I'm thinking with a turbo I could just put an air to water overcome on that rear shelf and have plenty of room.

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 10:34 am 

The manifold has been a big success, dynoed at 219bhp 209tq. Your right about the real estate in front of the fire wall. I have been thinking about a forced induction setup. An air/air intercooler is tough fit into the stock bodywork. but a air/water would fit nicely.

I am planning a full cage this winter, then load it up with bhp:)

Graham

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 11:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Huh, I didn't realize the opposite intake orientations were available. For my mid-mounted turbo K24, I'm using the manifold you switched to, and the layout works well, but only by dumb luck. Had I ended up with the manifold pointing the other direction, it would have made the engine compartment much less friendly.

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 2:44 pm 

There is an amazing array of manifolds, forwards, backwards, high, lo, I have sees some center flange option as well.

https://jhpusa.com/products/k-tuned-k-s ... ld-k20-k24

Graham