LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 4:12 pm 

figured I post my engine pics & notes ...
maybe helpful for others that are thinking about running the 2.0 Ecoboost :cheers:

(will update as soon as I have more data)

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 12:43 pm 

according to the carrier slip the complete engine shipping weight was 419 lbs
this included parts that I'm obviously not using ;
like oak palette, rigging, AC compressor, heavy sound absorbing engine cover, block mounted FWD axle carrier...
so I assume actual weight is in the 360 lbs range
deleting the balance shaft unit in the oilpan will shed another 20 lbs,
however, it increases oil capacity (what is a good thing) so actual weight reduction will only be around 15 lbs i guess

another piece of info;
if your buying a 2014 and newer donor engine you dont need to bother with getting the intact engine wiring harness:
as i just found out Ford changed the wiring harness on the newer 2.0;
the ECM power pack harness is NOT compatible with the late engine harness :roll:

thankfully a new and correct (2013 model year) engine wiring harness is available from Ford : its part No. CU5Z-12A581-MA
need to do some more shopping , but it looks like it usually sells for ~ $210 from various parts outlets

according to a ST Focus forum the new 2013 harness does not have the possible weakly crimped splice connections that have been a recall on that model year

just for giggles;
the dyno sheet for the stock (detuned for FWD) ECM compared to the Ford Racing Power Pack ECM tune :

the "diesel truck-ish" torque curve is almost scary impressive :shock: ...

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 5:16 pm 

That's similar to the curve for an Olds or Buick 455. "Rev it up? Why?"

Realistically, you'll only need a three speed transmission for that. When I drive a friend's 6-speed Corvette, I usually wind up shifting 2-4-6. Back when I was driving a '72 Capri with a stout SBF and four speed, I just used second and fourth.

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 1:09 am 

TRX wrote:
That's similar to the curve for an Olds or Buick 455. "Rev it up? Why?"

Realistically, you'll only need a three speed transmission for that. When I drive a friend's 6-speed Corvette, I usually wind up shifting 2-4-6. Back when I was driving a '72 Capri with a stout SBF and four speed, I just used second and fourth.

TRX, that's exactly my feeling :lol:
It kinda sounds ridiculous to bolt a Miata NC 6 speed to it, but I think I'm heading that way;
according to the turbo miata forum the 5 speed is simply not up to the torque of an ecoboost , and the other available (direct bolt-on) trans out of the 2.3 liter manual Ranger has the shifter located way too forward oriented to fit my project :? (and is not really much cheaper then the Miata 6-speed plus HD clutch selection seems limited ?!?)
i wish there was a reasonable priced aluminum bellhousing available to just bolt a world class T5 to it :roll:

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 10:11 am 

Yeah, there's always the "what is actually available" problem. The car will tell you how it wants to be shifted once you're on the road.

I remember lusting for four gear, and then five, and being gobsmacked by six... and then realizing that for the cars and engines I was matching together, three was more than sufficient, as long as I wanted a worn-out, bulky, cast-iron box...

- TRX "small block 400 into Triumph Spitfire!"

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 9:37 pm 

found a little more information;
Ford Racing sells an "orientation changing kit" to convert the engine from FWD to RWD duty,
that includes a (Ranger?) rear sump oil pan plus balancer delete plug as well as forward facing intake manifold,
coolant hoses and adapter for forward mounted rad ...

(stole the pic from another forum :roll: ... top left is the FWD oilpan)

however, as it turns out 3 out of 4 bolts of the kit oil pan do not match up with the Miata transmission pattern :ack:

the Miata trans is clocked to compensate for the FWD 10 degree passenger side lean of the engine anyway ...

...and on top of that the forward pointing intake does not work with my setup , so I don't really see any reason to buy that kit :?

PostPosted: May 18, 2018, 6:58 pm 

This is very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how this advances.

I can already tell your ecoboost has better support than the ecotec. I'm struggling at every turn!