LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 10, 2018, 1:09 pm 

Everything at the yard this time is from the 97-02 generation behind 3.8s, which I think will work for my purposes. If my reading is right, they should have 3.35 1st gear and .68 5th.

PostPosted: October 10, 2018, 10:59 pm 

My donor is a '94 SN95 Mustang with a V6. Its T5 has a 0.73 (OD) 5th gear. In 1994, the V8 Mustangs had the 0.68 5th gear ratio. Things could have changed in 97-02, but you might wish to verify that if you're using the top gear cruising speed to pick your axle ratio.

Here's what I found for the 1994 3.8L V6 version of the Mustang T5:

1st = 3.35
2nd = 1.93
3rd = 1.29
4th = 1.0
5th = 0.73
Reverse = 3.15

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 11, 2018, 10:43 am 

If you are putting a mustang t5 on a Camaro bellhousing you will have difficulties. You will have to double check this but I believe the input shaft will be around 3/4 of an inch to long and the bearing retainer diameter is too large so it will have to be machined down to fit. It would be way less hassle just to find an appropriate Camaro transmission that matches the bellhousing you are thinking of using. I believe the made world class v6 Camaro t-5s and it will probably come with the bellhousing you need.

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 9:34 am 

Junkyard was a bust as far as locost stuff. Had to concentrate on the Cherokee as that's my DD.

Wanted some steel 15 wheels for the winter/mud tires I already have, but there was only one set of 15s and they were the old aluminum lace wheels. Although I like the design, they were more than 2x the price of steelies and the finish is pretty bad. They charge extra if you take the tires so I had to unmount the tires in the junkyard which takes a fair amount of time to do with just some tire spoons. I've done that before on steel wheels but aluminum rims tend to stick to the tires and it takes a lot longer. But late fall here can alternate between freezing temps and snow to sun and 80s so I want to be able to easily swap between my good and bad weather tires as needed.

I did look at the mustangs and they were all automatics except the one that had no transmission left. Was going to try and get some blazer uprights to evaluate but i just didn't have the time as I had to be elsewhere at noon. Also wanted a few parts for my pickup but it wasn't to be.

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 10:22 am 

This is way more relevant to my project than chance should ever have it...

I want to re-power a Sidekick with a unique 285hp 4 cyl, drive it daily including winters here in western Canada (snow).

So, for me a hugely important aspect is that the ratios don't jump, especially 3-4, and 4-5, and that they reduce the jump as speeds increase. IE, RPM drop from 4-to-5 is less than 3-4, is less than 2-3. That means the AR5 and a bunch of others are simply out. The Solstice has jaw dropping badly chosen ratios. 45% rpm change 3-4th- ideally it should be a half of that!
For too many years my family drove a Volvo with 4.03 first, 3.73 FD, and 185/70r14 tires. First gear was useless, but the ancient K-jet engine management and too-large-from-factory cam, meant you absolutely had to use first to get moving. There was a lot of flywheel effect and the laggy engine management made that seem far worse. Then 2nd gear was 2.18, IIRC. Dumb.
The first vehicle I "built", I went with more power, less weight, 3.13 first, 3.31 FD, the lightest flywheel I could, and 205/60r16 tires. Still have that car ~20y later, and if I say so myself I nailed the specs dead on. If anything, everything could be taller. A 3.07 F/D or taller tires.

So with the future project, I narrowed it down to the 98-02 V6 Mustang T5 with 1.29 3rd, and with an aftermarket closer 5th (.89, IIRC- it's sitting near me as I type), or a specific Toyota trans from the late 80's. The T5 bolted up, the other required a lot of searching. Later, I came on the Mazda 6spd (Miata/Rx8) but it would require even more work (but they "got" what ratios it should have!).

I was limited in F/d ratio because I wanted to keep the front diff & housing, and ratios for it ranged from 5.125 down to 3.73, so I did the latter. Am going with a 28.5" tire. Would have preferred a numerically lower f/d for flexibility to go with smaller tires, but...compromise. Besides, average tire size on the market has been growing....28-29" is where all the new sizes are hitting.

So, style your body with tolerance for tire size. Use that as your out.

A v8 turning too many RPM lends very "busy" feel to a car. Very unwelcome imo. I'd look at 3.08, myself. Can you get that for front?