LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 19, 2018, 12:04 pm 

I'm posting this here in hopes that someone here has experience in using a series 2 Rx8 drivetrain as their donor car. All I have currently is a Series 2 engine with stock manifolds/accessories. I want to keep the engine as factory as possible to run on the stock computer.. But really, that's it. I'm basically looking for a list of all the interconnected/coded parts to run as if were on an engine test stand. (Not counting battery, fuel pump, etc.)

After some searching I believe I'll need (from the same car?):

Gauge Cluster
Key Fob
ECU with complete engine harness

Not sure what else?

PostPosted: January 21, 2019, 4:48 pm 

You'll need a keyless entry module(has the immobilizer in it), ecu, key, ignition switch mounted immobilizer pickup, engine harness, and most of the front under dash body harness (or pigtails) at a minimum. Best to get them all from the same car, to make things easier.

Pull up the S2 wiring diagrams (Google "s2 rx8 wiring diagram", first result from RX-8club, post#2, mega link) if in doubt of what is needed.
The immobilizer related stuff is all in one section.

AFAIK, the cluster isn't involved in immobilization on the S1 or S2, but it is recommended to have the as-built data of any cluster re-coded to match the VIN of the ECU you picked up. The as-built data for US cars can be found for free from the Mazda service info website.

I know for Series 1 (04-08) Forscan can be used for PATS related things like adding/removing keys, and to get "mismatched" ECU's, keyless modules, and immobilizer pickups to work in the same car.
It also can program the as-built data for S1. Not completely sure on S2. Any AKE (card key/keyless start) authorization/addition requires Mazda IDS.
You can still add regular "spare" keys to an AKE system without IDS, even if you only have one key or no keys.
My instinct, having looked over the immobilizer systems for S1 and S2 is that Forscan should work for both.

There is a utility floating around on the Forscan boards for changing the VIN data on a S1 (maybe an S2?) ECU if you need it, and the cable needed is a relatively cheap USB elm237 clone.

I'm currently getting an S1 setup together (parts from multiple places, going full card-style AKE ) to run a 13B-DEI, and if I hit any noteworthy milestones I'll have them reported in my build log.

One other gotcha, at least for S1, is that the ABS unit is used to generate and feed vehicle speed to the engine control unit and cluster over the CAN bus. I don't know if the S2 has the same setup.

As far as tuning goes, I prefer mazdEdit. I sprung for the Pro version because I have 2 S1 13B-MSP powered toys, and one 13B-DEI that is being converted to S1 RX-8 engine management. It'll allow you to silence some of the more annoying issues while you work out where to place your emissions related components in the frame.

PostPosted: January 21, 2019, 10:09 pm 

You'll probably also want the drive by wire throttle pedal assembly.

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 5:53 pm 

Ah, yes, the throttle pedal and the signal conditioner would be a good idea. :lol:

The MAF sensor is in the air cleaner box, so be sure to grab that as well.
I don't know of an aftermarket housing solution for it, but I'll probably end up having to make one for my project.
Or you can cut the duct section from the air cleaner assembly and run that.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.