LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 9:03 pm 

Thought this project might be of interest to some members here. This is a high performance motor controller for a fully electric build, achieving over 100kW! The schematic, bill of material and C-code is all open source so you can modify it to your hearts content.

Its still early days for the project, even though we've been at this for a number of years, but we now have real hardware driving real motors so its starting to get exciting!

If this project excites you as well, we would VERY much appreciate a "LIKE" over on the 2019 HackaDay design contest here: https://hackaday.io/project/164932-a...tor-controller

i'll be posting more updates as they come in. thanks for your support!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 23, 2019, 9:08 pm 

this is the motor controller i want to combine with an induction motor (eventually) because "locost" build, fully electric, nothing will be lower cost than a re-wound induction motor. every major city has a motor re-wind shop. these places have stacks of used motors they'd gladly sell to you for near free prices. then you gut the motor, clean it, re-wind it yourself for lower voltage higher amps, re-insulate, new bearings... poof... fairly cheap motor that will perform remarkably well. that's the plan anyway, we're not there yet but its coming... :)

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 9:10 am 

After watching a Model 3 at our last autocross I can't get out of my head what an absolute monster an electric Locost would be at the autocross. Coming out of corners, that thing just DISAPPEARED like no other car there - STi, GT350, Corvette, nothing. Now take out a thousand pounds or two and see what it could do.

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 10:12 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Depending upon efficiency, a 100kw controller will produce, very roughly, around 110 hp. Depending upon the battery technology (setting size, weight, and cost), it may—or may not—result in an autocross "monster." Low end torque is great for autocross, but it's still 110hp. A Model 3 is 3600-4000 lbs, but a fair part of that is the powertrain. A 400-lb internal combustion engine and 50-lb gas tank can be put into a 1200-lb Locost, but that's not possible with an electric version. The electric drivetrain is (I'm guessing) somewhere around 1250 lbs, so it won't be possible to end up with a Lotus-Seven weight. If we assume a 1200-lb IC Locost, it means an otherwise identical electric version will be around 2000-lbs, and probably about 30hp less. It would be very interesting to run an electric Locost against a gas version of the same.

And in the bigger picture of driving on the street, there's a big world beyond autocross. All that low end torque will be challanged by the horrific aerodrag of a Locost at even freeways speeds, so you'll have to pick your battles. Even a 300-hp Arial At-om lost to a BMW M5 on-track due entirely to aerodrag.

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 3:24 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Depending upon efficiency, a 100kw controller will produce, very roughly, around 110 hp.

That's why you use two of them. :wink:

PostPosted: May 24, 2019, 8:21 pm 

monster indeed! one of our team members broke world record for fasted front wheel drive on the 1/4mile!

actually, everywhere you look records are being broken by electric cars with substantially smaller horse power rating. how can that be? keep this in mind, when an electric machine is 100HP that is a lot different than 100HP combustion engine because, quick story, a combustion engine is peak power while electric machines are average power (of course with peak capability). when i say Axiom is 100kW rated, that's a continuous rating, can do that all day long. on top of that, electric machines can deliver maximum torque at zero speed while combustion engines can't. of course, combustion engines have their advantages too. top speed (for now). long distance (probably forever).

and ya.. you can, theoretically, put more than one of these in a car. i completed a design for a ~450HP drive couple years back and there were one of those per wheel! i don't know if they have the battery for that type of power yet, but its getting closer every day. exciting times!

to be fair, i recognize i'm biased towards the all electric vehicle. good thing there's room in this world for everyone :)

PostPosted: May 30, 2019, 1:18 pm 

slloyd wrote:
actually, everywhere you look records are being broken by electric cars with substantially smaller horse power rating. how can that be? keep this in mind, when an electric machine is 100HP that is a lot different than 100HP combustion engine because, quick story, a combustion engine is peak power while electric machines are average power (of course with peak capability).

The Model 3 has ~258kW of power, which is about 346 horsepower. But if you look at its actual performance, it does 0-60 and quarter miles like a 600hp car of the same weight.