LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 10, 2022, 2:50 pm 

I am interested on how the setup looks on the clutch end, I will see if I can find any pictures.

Graham

PostPosted: April 10, 2022, 9:31 pm 

I'm totally guessing, but I'd wager it's in the $7K-$10K range.

Does anyone know the quantity 1 price?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 10, 2022, 9:41 pm 

I think your low, Sadiv and Quaif trans only are in the 7-10k range. I would expect thus transaxle to be well 15-20K.

Graham

PostPosted: April 11, 2022, 12:53 pm 

Having a car to put a sequential in was one of the main reasons I built my Stalker to begin with. Only for the driving experience, I couldn't really care less about performance metrics. It's one of those things, either you want one or you don't, hard to explain other than just the ear to ear grin when you rip gears with no clutch and spark cut upshifts.

They clunk, have lash, make rock crushing noises at idle, make screaming gear noise even if you get helical gears and are generally a PITA. If all of that isn't charming to you definitely don't get one. I put 1500 miles on my car in just a few months and love every second of it, not trying to discourage anyone, just don't expect a Lexus.

SO, I started off thinking a $10k trans was out of the question but over a couple years concluded you just have to pay to play. I have a fair number of motorsports connections and just couldn't put together a deal on a trans that fit in these cars and wasn't totally trashed already.

I happened to be in the UK when they voted to brexit and caught a 30% discount in one of the pound to dollar low points and bit the bullet. Bought a Quaife 60G with BMW bellhousing.

I'm telling you, this trans makes the car. It's otherwise a mild mannered car, rides pretty well, tractable torque curve, sounds mellow. Then you rip off a few gears, so GOOD!

I put a guibo in the driveshaft, kept my diff mounted in bushings, and use a sprung clutch. All of this makes the clunks bearable, don't skimp on these areas!!! The car is going to clunk on every coast-drive transition, you *need* to make that manageable.

Check out these suppliers, they were on my competitive list with Quaife. I chose Quaife based on them having a BMW configured option and helical gears available. All of these companies were competitive on price. Also plenty of other options that aren't cost competitive, such as X-Trac.

Elite - seemed like the best value out there, not a lot of reliability info and they seem more competitive in transaxles than in transmissions.

HGT - wow, a LOT of product for your money. Good tq numbers, would be great behind a V8. Didn't have helical gears available when I last looked.

Quaife - These are in a lot of Caterhams. Generally good reliability reputation for a motorsports product but horrible customer service apparently. I kind of agree so far, it didn't fit my engine exactly and it became clear it was on me to figure out spacers, etc. Love the trans, though. Helical is needed, it's loud even with these gears. Reverse gear is straight cut and shows you what that would sound like and it's pretty out of control.

Sadev - hard to get much info if you're not in Europe. Seemed like some good possibilities but the price was very volatile with what options you would need, shipping, etc. and that was hard to figure out without putting a real order together.

Alex

PostPosted: April 11, 2022, 1:49 pm 

ajmacdon, thanks for the info, I will try and add some links

Elite have a web site under development https://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/

but have an active Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/eliteracingtran

HGT https://www.hgtprecision.com/

I have filled out a information request for HGT 6 speed sequential, 1:1 final drive.

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 8:08 am 

I got some price information from HGT.

4 speed 8.2k
5 speed 10.9k
6 speed 12.5k
Add about 2.5k for shifter, bell housing, mounting kit, gear display and shipping. So right around 15k for a 6 speed.

The Elite Racing unit looks for more reasonable I have seen some used units selling for about 2.5K

Graham

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 12:39 pm 

FastG wrote:

4 speed 8.2k
5 speed 10.9k
6 speed 12.5k
Add about 2.5k for shifter, bell housing, mounting kit, gear display and shipping. So right around 15k for a 6 speed.

The Elite Racing unit looks for more reasonable I have seen some used units selling for about 2.5K

Graham

Wow, they've gone up a lot in 5 years. Honestly seems more in line with their product, CNC housing, big tq, etc. I just opened my old quote and the 6 speed all in with bell and shifter would have snuck in under 10k.

Alex

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 12:55 pm 

FastG wrote:

4 speed 8.2k
5 speed 10.9k
6 speed 12.5k

Graham

With these prices for just one component of a build, we certainly have diverged from Ron Champion's vision of building inexpensive sports cars, haven't we? I'm not complaining or pointing fingers. I'm just observing. I do enjoy all of the discussions here. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 1:38 pm 

@rx7locost

You're right, Chuck. That said, I knew I'd be over budget in the Ron Champion sense, but I wanted a really high performance street car, and knew I could never afford to buy what I can build (performance-wise) using the Locost architecture. So, I've allowed myself to deviate from the original concept budget, at least in theory.

Going together initially it will have the donor's stock 3.8L V6, and TREMEC 5-speed, but with an Auburn Gear limited slip already substituted for the Mustang 7.5 rear axle, which cost more than my entire donor :ack: . Who knows, that may satisfy my performance lust as is.

If not, I've been buying up used, but good, speed equipment, and a complete 2000 Mustang engine (stronger block) to convert to a 275 HP, 4.2L engine. I'll add a new TREMEC 5-speed with close ratio gears, but not a sequential transmission at $12.5K. So, I do have some limits [LOL].

I do understand why someone would want sequential, but it's just past my personal $$-pain point.

Cheers,

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 1:43 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
FastG wrote:

4 speed 8.2k
5 speed 10.9k
6 speed 12.5k

Graham

With these prices for just one component of a build, we certainly have diverged from Ron Champion's vision of building inexpensive sports cars, haven't we? I'm not complaining or pointing fingers. I'm just observing. I do enjoy all of the discussions here. :cheers:

It's definitely a spectrum that you view from your own point on it. I know I spent a bunch on my car but I still look at the big dollar Ar-i-el and Caterham (branded) cars and sometimes think 'man, have they lost the plot?'

However, even with a relatively spendy drivetrain the value proposition is strong compared to an equivalently capable 'real' car and to me that's the point. Wrap a good chassis and powertrain in the most minimalist package you can. If you want a $500 or a $20k powertrain it still going to be the lightest and cheapest way to get it on the road in a capable package.

Alex

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 2:30 pm 

I think the important part is LOcost. Not THECHEAPESTPOSSIBLEcost. I am trying to get great performance at a low cost. Am I going to spend 12k on a trans, no. But I am always looking at ways to move up the performance ladder.

Graham

PostPosted: April 13, 2022, 3:12 pm 

Agreed ,with some of the above. Lo-cost.
My plan is to be under 10k on the road, which is still higher than some older Miatas, but this will for sure be a lot more unique.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 17, 2022, 12:47 am 
Toyotaphobe

But then you would be drawn & quartered for not staying true to the original recipe. We used to get almost castrated for a decent steering wheel

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 17, 2022, 10:20 am 

carguy123 wrote:
But then you would be drawn & quartered for not staying true to the original recipe. We used to get almost castrated for a decent steering wheel

You mean you didn't make your own? Shame, shame.

Just kidding!

I have a store-bought wheel, but plan to heavily modify it, so perhaps redemption is in my future?

Cheers,

PostPosted: April 17, 2022, 7:51 pm 

ajmacdon wrote:
Having a car to put a sequential in was one of the main reasons I built my Stalker to begin with. Only for the driving experience, I couldn't really care less about performance metrics. It's one of those things, either you want one or you don't, hard to explain other than just the ear to ear grin when you rip gears with no clutch and spark cut upshifts.

They clunk, have lash, make rock crushing noises at idle, make screaming gear noise even if you get helical gears and are generally a PITA. If all of that isn't charming to you definitely don't get one. I put 1500 miles on my car in just a few months and love every second of it, not trying to discourage anyone, just don't expect a Lexus.

SO, I started off thinking a $10k trans was out of the question but over a couple years concluded you just have to pay to play. I have a fair number of motorsports connections and just couldn't put together a deal on a trans that fit in these cars and wasn't totally trashed already.

I happened to be in the UK when they voted to brexit and caught a 30% discount in one of the pound to dollar low points and bit the bullet. Bought a Quaife 60G with BMW bellhousing.

I'm telling you, this trans makes the car. It's otherwise a mild mannered car, rides pretty well, tractable torque curve, sounds mellow. Then you rip off a few gears, so GOOD!

I put a guibo in the driveshaft, kept my diff mounted in bushings, and use a sprung clutch. All of this makes the clunks bearable, don't skimp on these areas!!! The car is going to clunk on every coast-drive transition, you *need* to make that manageable.

Check out these suppliers, they were on my competitive list with Quaife. I chose Quaife based on them having a BMW configured option and helical gears available. All of these companies were competitive on price. Also plenty of other options that aren't cost competitive, such as X-Trac.

Elite - seemed like the best value out there, not a lot of reliability info and they seem more competitive in transaxles than in transmissions.

HGT - wow, a LOT of product for your money. Good tq numbers, would be great behind a V8. Didn't have helical gears available when I last looked.

Quaife - These are in a lot of Caterhams. Generally good reliability reputation for a motorsports product but horrible customer service apparently. I kind of agree so far, it didn't fit my engine exactly and it became clear it was on me to figure out spacers, etc. Love the trans, though. Helical is needed, it's loud even with these gears. Reverse gear is straight cut and shows you what that would sound like and it's pretty out of control.

Sadev - hard to get much info if you're not in Europe. Seemed like some good possibilities but the price was very volatile with what options you would need, shipping, etc. and that was hard to figure out without putting a real order together.

Alex

For what it's worth I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. The straight gear whines and the clunks are all major chapters of the driving theater/show entertainment. When I shift into 6th (1:1 direct drive, "quiet gear") I dread the day I'll ever have to take the sequential out and put the regular 5 speed back in, even if temporarily.

With that said, my personal understanding is that the Sadev unit is a much better unit that the Quaife.

Sincerely Quaife T9 Sierra 6 speed owner.