LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JDM sourced engines?
PostPosted: April 4, 2022, 2:35 pm 

I found a place in Houston that sells JDM motors, apparently very cheap... an '06-'12 Miata 2.0 w/6-speed for $1600. Seems like a bargain, but are there other/unique challenges that might make a modern JDM motor more of a headache to install in an analog car that a US-spec motor?

https://jdmkingmotors.com/mazda/engines-transmissions/2006-2012-jdm-mazda-miata-mx5-lf-ze-2-0l-dohc-16-valve-engine-6-speed-transmission.html

Post subject: Re: JDM sourced engines?
PostPosted: April 4, 2022, 3:14 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I don't know about that motor specifically.

It depends on the engine but mostly things are made cheaper with a BER life (beyond economical repair). They gotten away from making long lasting components that can be reused, switching to plastics exposed to hot oil, one-time use stretch fasteners, tuning a hairs breath out of detonation that can cause you problems of not running the original computer which may require inputs from other computers, throttle by wire that doesn't always do what you want it to, transmission made lighter than they should be for mpg and ensuring they meet warranty mileage by using throttle by wire to delay and soften throttle inputs, parts that are not used for more than a year or two so higher replacement cost, thin wall cylinders that cannot be overbored for a rebuild, requiring liners to be installed (if available), light diffs that fail for similar reasons, etc. Not worth a few mpg or hp.

Imho, for the most part, the good, long life repairables peaked in the late 90s.

I think that is in the duratec family and there are some experts/fans of those here.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 4, 2022, 5:01 pm 

I'm keeping an eye on this, and specifically that shop.
They regularly have Renesis (4 & 6 port) for reasonable looking prices.

I'm not torn between JDM & USDM, but they seem to be a source that's local to me.

I also know a guy that runs a speed shop in Austin, so I may give him a call when I'm ready to source an engine.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 7, 2022, 1:50 pm 

I've seen at least one reference to a NC Miata owner needing a new engine and replacing it with a JDM unit. So that indicates to me that it shouldn't be any harder than a USDM NC Miata engine. However, the Mazda versions of the MZR do have Variable Cam Timing on the intake cam, which is more complex than earlier Ford versions lacking that feature. That being said, people here have also run both the 2.5L Duratec (also with intake VCT) and later dual-VCT Duratec/MZR engines... So from the sidelines, I don't see any deal breakers there.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: April 8, 2022, 9:00 am 

Good points mv8 - there are just so many good small(ish) motors these days, and one with 50k miles is sure to last another 50k (usually) before things wear out....if the electronics were right...

Jamador - are you planning to use the RX8 motor? That would be a great motor.

Driven5 - I haven't heard much bad about JDM motors, aside from a few minor(ish) external, swap-able things like sensors or brackets. Thanks for the reminder of the variable cam timing, I'm still trying to sort out the different versions. I'm leaning toward a Duratec, when(if) the time comes as there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support and they're almost a-dime-a-dozen.

PostPosted: April 8, 2022, 10:47 am 

Hayduke wrote:
Good points mv8 - there are just so many good small(ish) motors these days, and one with 50k miles is sure to last another 50k (usually) before things wear out....if the electronics were right...

Jamador - are you planning to use the RX8 motor? That would be a great motor.

Driven5 - I haven't heard much bad about JDM motors, aside from a few minor(ish) external, swap-able things like sensors or brackets. Thanks for the reminder of the variable cam timing, I'm still trying to sort out the different versions. I'm leaning toward a Duratec, when(if) the time comes as there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support and they're almost a-dime-a-dozen.

My Locost came with a dead FC 13B, plan is to pick up a 4 port Renesis & run standalone ECU.
If I'm feeling adventurous, may spring for the 6 port & the extra tuning work. Might be worth it for the 9k redline & extra power :twisted:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 14, 2022, 2:43 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
If I'm feeling adventurous, may spring for the 6 port & the extra tuning work. Might be worth it for the 9k redline & extra power :twisted:

As someone with 2 6-port RX-8's, I can say it's really really worth it to go with the 6 port.
Redline therapy!

I'm also pretty sure that I've got the 06-08 PCM immobilizer close to pinched off...

PostPosted: April 14, 2022, 4:06 pm 

I picked up a JDM Nissan SR20DET 10ish years ago and had a good experience with that particular vendor and engine. I had it apart years later and the bores looked like they matched the stated mileage, really nice shape.

Lots of horror stories out there, though. I felt more comfortable with a vendor like you posted who had a stand alone website and business outside ebay, just felt like name recognition was worth something.

One tip is to find someone local-ish or see if you can make a longer drive or combine with a vacation to pick it up yourself. They tend to get crates of engines at a time and if you just buy it online or on the phone they might send you the nastiest looking one since some other customer is coming in to pick one up that needs to look better. I did this, drove 300ish miles to the importer's shop and it was totally worth it. 3 engines sitting on palates and I got to pick whatever one I liked for the same money. Couldn't compression check or anything but you can tell a lot just visually. That means two other customers got relatively junky engines without knowing any better. Think of it like a puppy :D

My engine did come with a cylinder full of coolant which seems really common. Likely from when the heated throttle body was removed and it flowed in through an open intake valve. I would say at a minimum make sure you pull plugs and spin it over to blow out any water before cranking with plugs in. You would probably be well served to just throw a head gasket at it and take a look around the chambers since that's pretty easy when you've already got the long block on a stand.

Long story short, it's a bit of a gamble but the price is usually good enough that even with parts to fix something unexpected you're still in the black.

Alex