LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What made your choice?
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 5:53 pm 

How did you pick your donor? Availability? Cost? Nobody else had one? Performance? Noobish minds want to know. This is what i think the most difficult part of the project. So many choices, so little garage space. As i prep to go look at one, another comes up and so on. Once thats figured out, your set in a certain direction. Till then i feel like a cat in a room full of mice. Trying to chase to many at once and catching none at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 6:01 pm 

I wanted the car to pull HARD at any RPM, any gear. So I opted for a V8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 6:34 pm 
I feel your pain Mandurath. I was going back and forth on nice & light (4 cyl) and lotsa torque ( v6/v8 ), and it ultimately came down to I found a S-10 donor for the right price, bought it, so now I have a direction to go.

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 6:43 pm 

I choose the easiest donor possible (Hyundai Stellar which is a Cortina copy with a Mitsu engine). Ended up using almost none of it except the spindles and brakes. :lol:

Done again I won't use a donor or import a scrap Miata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 9:19 pm 

I've decided not to use a donor because of the fact that there are a lot of parts you won't use and getting rid of the carcass can be an issue if the car isn't rolling. I've decided to get the engine/trans I want, use spindles that are easy to get and new along with the brakes I want, get the rear axle I want, and then go from there. Since there wa no single vehicle that had everything I wanted available I went this way. I got my engine/trans combo for $235 total, got my rear axle for $80, and will get my spindles new. I have a $3000 budget and should be able to stick really close to it. I have quite the collection of parts, I just need the time to get started. If the weather would cooperate, it would be much closer to being reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 9:25 pm 

CR_Turboguy wrote:
I was going back and forth on nice & light (4 cyl) and lotsa torque ( v6/v8 ), and it ultimately came down to I found a S-10 donor for the right price, bought it, so now I have a direction to go.
So what did you end up with, Josh, a nice light 4 cyl or a lots of torque V6? :-)

Seriously, there's such a spread in S10 engines, which one did you decide on?

How did I decide on a donor? "A" donor? Har de har har. I'm running multiple projects at the same place and time; it's kind of like flying a helecopter. At present I have two twins (an HD and an S&S), two triples (Kubota turbo diesel and Thriumph Rocket 3) and two quadruples (both Miata, one 1.6 and one 1.8). Half of them are on the back burner (the HD, the 1.6 and the Triumph) for various reasons (the S&S is the better engine of the twins, the 1.8 is the better engine of the Miatas, and Triumph isn't expressing enthusiasm re selling me powerplants in bulk). I don't know how anybody decides on just one.

Oh yeah, the underpinnings are Miata, Toyota RWD sedan, and S10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 10:53 pm 

I was hoping to do a bec when i started using a newer RocketIII. But, they are rare as hens teeth salvage wise so far. My only project is a t bird and the locost (which for now consists of books and dreams), everything else is either done, or daily driver. So, if you count the tools, I don't even want to think about a budget even though this is locost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19, 2007, 11:24 pm 

If I can plant a seed...

Define what you want to use the car for and then that will kind of determine the general direction.

After that, there will likely be a short list of stuff that appeals to you either via brand loyalty or appreciation of some kind of technology or similar.

After that build the best car you can given the parts you can get at a price that you are comfortable.

Yeah, yeah, bunch of generalities.

In my case I like Chev V8s and had one lying around keep the sod behind the barn from floating away. In the end it will be too expensive to use it in a locost because to get what I want out of a locost would require spending lots of money.

So my "fallback" became using other parts I am familiar with: Suzuki. Any engine that can spin an overloaded vehicle hauling a trailer for 6 hours on the highway, off-road in deep mud and goo all day the next day, including getting submerged and stalled due to water ingestion, then with a quick fluids change spin that overloaded vehicle and trailer back home another six hours at highway speeds and then do the commute to work the next morning without too much fuss is alright in my book. :D

Doesn't hurt that it is cheap, available, and very light either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 12:07 am 

My donor found me via the classified forums here. I was looking at going the S10 route when someone offered up a $500 Miata and the rest is history. IMO the best thing to do is educate yourself on the options and keep an eye on the radar for viable options that may come your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 1:11 am 

Mandurath wrote:
I was hoping to do a bec when i started using a newer RocketIII. But, they are rare as hens teeth salvage wise so far.

Want one? Sadly I must limit myself to commercially viable projects, and with the rarity of salvage units and with every ridable used one going for twelve grand, a Rocket3 kit isn't in Kinetic's future. But it sure is a fabulous powerplant and I'd like to see it in a Locost...I think I'll write up an ad and put it in the Classifieds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 1:13 am 
A few things that affected my choice. I'm retired so my play car doesn’t have to be real practical. I tend to break 4 cyl engines. I have a LOT of parts lying around.

I started out with the thought of using the running gear form an 83 Tcoupe. Upon further investigation I found that though the Tcoupe engine makes good power and is an acceptable engine for a LC it is bloody heavy and tall. Over a period I had collected the pieces to do a 351 Fox Mustang that I was going to do the whole Slot Car trick to. Doing that would be nearly as much work as building the LC from scratch. I have 2 351s laying around, a fresh non roller and a not so fresh roller. So I had decided to use the 351/T5/9" Versailles with basically a MII front and 3 link/mumford rear and lots of tire.

During the gestation period my wife was in FL taking care of her mother for several months. When she got back I told her of the plan and she responded "I was going to build one for her too". My wife IS NOT A CAR PERSON, her car is an 04 Jeep WJ Freedom edition that she drives with the windows up so it doesn’t get dusty inside or muss her hair.

So plan B & C build 2 LCs. The first Put-Put for her using the running gear and as many parts as possible from a V8(302)/C4 MII that I had planned on parting. Keep the build as cheap as possible and as much a standard LSIS. The second I had already had a lot of pieces for the Fox laying around, did I mention that it was to have been a bit OTT. Shagnasty will be roller 392(351), EFI, dry sump, scatter shield, twin disk aluminum fwheel, T5, MN12/Cobra suspension components, 95 Cobra R 9" & 10.5" 17s with 315s on rear shooting for (eventually) 500+ hp and around 1400 lb dry and replicate the Lotus Type Three-7.

Both cars are being made of as many experienced parts as possible and the budget for Put-put is about 1k and Shagnasty about 4k which appears to be doable. There has been a fair amount of spec drift, and I expect more as things are found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 8:57 am 
JackMcCornack wrote:
CR_Turboguy wrote:
I was going back and forth on nice & light (4 cyl) and lotsa torque ( v6/v8 ), and it ultimately came down to I found a S-10 donor for the right price, bought it, so now I have a direction to go.
So what did you end up with, Josh, a nice light 4 cyl or a lots of torque V6? :-)

Seriously, there's such a spread in S10 engines, which one did you decide on?

I ended up with the torque of the V6. Maybe for the next one I'll go small & light :)

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 11:55 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I chose a $995 1995 Tbird due to the following:
Rack & pinion
No struts
IRS
Modern v8
no air pump
clean design and not a common engine to use (it is huge!)
Good brakes
A oem 5spd was available (T45 in mustangs)
Nice wheels (resemble 1993 cobra)
Cheap
Easy to find parts (taxi, police cars, towncars, etc)
No antitheft eec problems and it is tuneable
I’m not interested in making it look like a Lotus Seven
I know the condition and drivability before tear down which should help with troubleshooting later.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 4:05 pm 

I picked a Pinto for a few reasons:
- It was a popular choice at the time (about 10 years ago.) Two other listers were on the road with Pinto donors.
- Good front end - independent spindles, disk brakes, rack, etc.
- CHEAP - $300 for my donor and it was driveable
- Easy to get parts

Worked for me, although I doubt it would be the best choice today. Pintos are getting hard to find any longer and may have increasing value if restored.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 11:41 pm 

Familiarity was the key for me. I wanted a donor I knew inside out. That meant an RX-7, MGB, or Miata. The MGB was my first choice, but a good donor at a Locost-type price was impossible to find. So I went with the Miata, but would still like to do an RX-7 version someday.