LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ZETEC T5 HOW-TO/FAQ
PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 11:17 am 

I didn't mean to come across being snarky. Sometimes text doesn't convey the real story. :BH:

I am interested in how he got enough cold stuff to shrink bushings for about 3 bucks. I know about the LN2. Can't say that I've ever bought the stuff though. Don't know how much a small amount costs nor where to purchase small amounts. Since he was qouting lower temps than LN2, I'm guessing he has some other supercooling trick up his sleeve that I don't know about.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 11:56 am 
The voice of reason

OK, I didn't think you meant it to sound that way. I have a mechanic friend that has bought liquid nitrogen at a welding store. He just put it in his lunch thermos. He used it to shrink valve seats, if I remember. They just drop right in after a quick chilling...

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 7:41 pm 

[/quote]

Im working on getting a hydro throw out bearing set up for the Ford T5 right now. The only hang up is the pilot. Was I correct in reading that the V8 input is slimmer than the I4 input on the T5? I am going to do some motor work to it (since I will be running a turbo) so having the pocket enlarged wont be too big of a deal I would think. I just want something that is close to begin with. Also, does the Zetec run the pilot bush in the flywheel? Did I read that correctly?[/quote]

I can't recall which is slimmer, the V8 or I-4 version, unfortunately. In any case, IIRC, the limiting factor on clutch size was the diameter of the flywheel's friction surface, which dictated a fairly small (i.e., Mustang II, non-V8 size clutch), although I don't recall if the input shaft diameter on my non-V8 T5 WC was different from the V8 version, which could have made a difference (this was all a few years ago - sadly, due to...life...I haven't been working on the project much recently).

As for the pilot bearing, it runs in a pocket machined into the rear of the crankshaft.

I, too, am working on a hydraulic clutch release bearing. In your case it will be much easier than for me - the V8 version of the T-5 WC uses a smaller-diameter release bearing guide than the I-4 version does, and there are 2 or 3 sources for these. In the I-4 version of the T-5, the guide tube is quite large & has to be lathe-turned down to fit through any of the release bearings available.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 7:57 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I'm interested in seeing how you achieved getting things colder than liquid Nitrogen. I thought that a public sharing would be better than a PM. Can you expound?

Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. It should have read farenheit, and I don't know the precise temperature it reaches, but it is seriously cold - enough to shrink the overall diameter of a .827" hardened steel bearing by more than .017". I got the -200 degrees figure from charts on the shrinkage-from-cooling of hardened steel, as that much was required to attain the reduction in size I required. Since I got a greater degree of shrinkage than I'd expected (and even hoped for), well, that's where the estimate of the cooling came from. The point is...it works.

And, since you ask, my method is to buy a can of "Dust-Off" (or similar) from an office supply store. Attach the straw, invert the can, spray the part to be shrunk with the liquid that issues from the can for several seconds until it is uniformly solid white in color. Do NOT touch the part with exposed flesh, for obvious reasons. I repeat the cold-soak again after 30 seconds or so to ensure the part is uniformly cold. I also spray the tool I'm using to place the part in position, so as to not make a spot of relative heat at some point on the part. Also, try not to breathe the stuff - it's probably not good for you.

I've successfully used this method on such things as removing a press-fit barrel on a rifle, steel bolts seized into alloy engine blocks, etc. In each case, heat (from, say, oxyacetylene) was not an option.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 8:33 pm 

Well, Ive been doing some research and the 4 cyl T5 has a smaller diameter inout shaft. This just made me think of something. If the input shaft is a smaller diameter, then the smaller friction disc that would fit under the Zetec pressure plate of the 4 cylinder will not work with my transmission (due to different diameter inputs). Hmmm, I might have to pick up a 4 cyl T5. Problem is, I want to make a decent amount of power. I wonder if there is a 9" T5 disc.

Zetec: 8.98"
2.3: 8 7/8"
V8: 10.5"

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 12:05 am 

Sachs SD1228. .. A common disc way back when.
If you shop around you should be able to get the price down to about $50, O'Reilley's is $92 out here.

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 7:47 am 

oldejack wrote:
Sachs SD1228. .. A common disc way back when.
If you shop around you should be able to get the price down to about $50, O'Reilley's is $92 out here.

I checked the part number and RockAuto and OReillys list it but give no details other than application. Will this fit the 10 spline, 1 1/16" input of the V8 T5?

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 9:01 am 

Sach's website says the SD1228 fits 1987 AMC Pacer (among others)

RockAuto says the Pacer uses: Disc mm 225; Disc in 8-7/8; SplinesDia 1-1/16; Splines 10

Don't take my word, Check it our yourself.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 9:59 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Sach's website says the SD1228 fits 1987 AMC Pacer (among others)

RockAuto says the Pacer uses: Disc mm 225; Disc in 8-7/8; SplinesDia 1-1/16; Splines 10

Don't take my word, Check it our yourself.

Sweet!

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 10:05 am 

Pacers were made until '87?

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 10:11 am 

Oops. Dyslexia at the keyboard strikes again. :BH: I meant 1798, nO wait, 1978 yeah that's it, a 1978 AMC Pacer :cheers:

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 11:46 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:

Maybe that's how long it took to sell the last one... :rofl:

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 2:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:

Maybe that's how long it took to sell the last one... :rofl:

Bet it was a "Buy One, Get One Free" deal... :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 5:55 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Oops. Dyslexia at the keyboard strikes again. :BH:

You should join D.A.P., People Against Dyslexia.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 9:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

Off Road SHO wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
Oops. Dyslexia at the keyboard strikes again. :BH:

You should join D.A.P., People Against Dyslexia.

Didja hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac?
He stayed awake all night wondering if there really is a DOG...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next