LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 25, 2020, 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 6:24 pm 

Also got a weight for a 20r (it was on wheels and the 22r's werent, so maybe I'll get a 22r weight another day)
290lbs with full flywheel/clutch assembly, distributor, and alternator. Some oil and coolant as well (basically pulled status)
Attachment:
20R engine weight.jpg
20R engine weight.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 5248 times ]

Heres what was left on the front of the engine:
Attachment:
20R weight front dress.jpg
20R weight front dress.jpg [ 792.63 KiB | Viewed 5230 times ]

and the back:
Attachment:
20R weight rear dress.jpg
20R weight rear dress.jpg [ 823.94 KiB | Viewed 5230 times ]

I know it doesn't look it, but it is off the wheel dolly. I was lifting with a ratchet strap, and they dont do controlled release very well, so I wasn't about to raise the engine super high.
We race the 22r in a dirt oval truck, don't believe the internet that these things explode past 5500. We run 4500-6500rpm, with 4 years and counting on the first stock rebuilt engine. (Later style with single row timing chain)

PostPosted: June 23, 2019, 4:28 am 

I hope I am allowed to post this, it took a long time to find a list that I have at least some small amount of belief in it's content and weights. https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view ... p?id=12009

PostPosted: June 25, 2019, 4:03 pm 

Unfortunately that list is decades old and the weights don't come close in a lot of places. I tried contacting the original author about 15-20 years ago to give him some accurate information and could never find a working email. Since then many many copies, some modified, have sprung up on the web. You can't trust it.

PostPosted: June 25, 2019, 5:57 pm 

Locost_Johnh wrote:
I tried contacting the original author about 15-20 years ago to give him some accurate information and could never find a working email.

You can find him here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4299&start=120#p145620

Quote:
That Angelfire address has been dead for a long time; maybe ten years before the date on that list. The earliest versions predate the Web. Perhaps someone tried merging two or more versions.

I quit updating the list because, of all the things I've ever done on the internet, that list has caused me the most grief. I used to get bombed with *angry* rantings from people who didn't agree with it, and felt it was somehow my fault, instead of directing their spleen to any of the original sources I referenced.

Between that, and seeing edited versions "copyrighted" by other people, and the general hate the list seems to engender in a certain type of person, I quit uploading new versions.

PostPosted: January 20, 2020, 10:42 am 

From Westfield site
http://westfield-world.com/engineandtransmission.html
Ron

PostPosted: January 20, 2020, 11:01 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

In general, modern aluminum 4-cylinder engines are about 300 lbs, and the transmission/transaxles around 80-90 lbs, so figure about 400 lbs for the entire lump.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14