LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1984 Celica Problems
PostPosted: September 28, 2008, 8:38 pm 

I am looking at buying a 1984 Celica with a 22RE for a donor. Went to look at the car today and it starts for a couple of seconds, then it seems that it runs out of gas and quits. Seems to run on the start cycle with a high idle for just a couple of seconds. Owner says he has replaced the air-mass meter and he thinks it’s a fuel problem, either the filter or pump. Any ideas? I will be rebuilding the engine before it goes into the Locost but I’d rather have it running right before I tear it down, that way if it doesn’t run when it goes back together I know it’s my fault. Lol.

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: 1984 Celica Problems
PostPosted: September 29, 2008, 7:49 am 

Guy wrote:
I am looking at buying a 1984 Celica with a 22RE for a donor. Went to look at the car today and it starts for a couple of seconds, then it seems that it runs out of gas and quits. Seems to run on the start cycle with a high idle for just a couple of seconds. Owner says he has replaced the air-mass meter and he thinks it’s a fuel problem, either the filter or pump. Any ideas? I will be rebuilding the engine before it goes into the Locost but I’d rather have it running right before I tear it down, that way if it doesn’t run when it goes back together I know it’s my fault. Lol.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like something minor. Use it to your favor to score a cheap donor!

Check for vac a leak in the intake tract between the MAF and the manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29, 2008, 3:41 pm 

Alright thanks. I think as long as its something minor I will try to buy it. I think im gonna wait a week so the guy is desperate to sell and get it cheaper. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30, 2008, 1:36 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Guy wrote:
Alright thanks. I think as long as its something minor I will try to buy it. I think im gonna wait a week so the guy is desperate to sell and get it cheaper. lol.

Good idea. Say, send me his number and I'll call him and laugh at how much he wants, mkay?

-dave "sniping friends for sport" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30, 2008, 10:47 am 

Here are some possible reasons (and you can thank the company I work for if it works)

The throttle bore and throttle plates may be carboned up. This causes the throttle to hang open preventing the throttle position sensor idle contacts from closing. When this occurs, the ECU advances ignition timing beyond the idle mode causing the problem.

sometimes there is a poor ground that goes to the intake manifold, which stalls the car out.

The coolant temp sensor could be dead.

By far the most likely candidate is the carboned up passageways. Clean them, and everything should run like a top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2008, 3:02 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Guy wrote:

Good idea. Say, send me his number and I'll call him and laugh at how much he wants, mkay?

Haha. He already only wants 600. I'd like to get it for 400 but probly more like 500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2008, 3:04 pm 

fourthmeal wrote:
Here are some possible reasons (and you can thank the company I work for if it works)

The throttle bore and throttle plates may be carboned up. This causes the throttle to hang open preventing the throttle position sensor idle contacts from closing. When this occurs, the ECU advances ignition timing beyond the idle mode causing the problem.

sometimes there is a poor ground that goes to the intake manifold, which stalls the car out.

The coolant temp sensor could be dead.

By far the most likely candidate is the carboned up passageways. Clean them, and everything should run like a top.

Thanks for that .I have gotten lots of suggestions so far from other forums too. If/when I get it I will try all of them.

Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 3:09 am 

dhempy wrote:

Hey, it scored me a free, running car :lol:

Well, 'friends' was a relative term in this case, anyway. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 1:40 am 

the 22RE's TCCS (ecu to all you guys) is about as smart as a monkey with a voltmeter. It will run fine without an idle throttle position sensor reading (i recently found my tps could not reach the idle contact, and this is after testing the engine/car for a month). hell it will run fine without an o2 sensor.

I would check for vacuum leaks. look for obvious ones (if it looks like it needs a plug or hose, plug it and try and start the engine. not much 'needs' vacuum to run).

the air-bypass valve (aka the thing that makes the engine idle high when it is cold) is mechanically activated by the coolant temperature, and is situated below the throttle body. I doubt it is causing your idle problems.

Is the car a gt or gts?

PM or email me. I would be happy to help you if you do use this as a donor car. My nearing-completion locost is base on an 84' gts

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 11:48 pm 

eVox wrote:
Is the car a gt or gts?

It's a GT-S. So far it looks like the guy hasn't sold it yet. Been talking back and forth because the man is completely incapable of answering his phone. I don't understand when people are trying to sell you something they are lazy and grouchy about it. :roll: When I sell my cars I make it so easy to buy that it's almost impossible for someone to recognize they are impulse buying. (Which also makes it easy for me to impulse sell :) ) As a result I have put a truck on craigslist a 4:00pm on a Saturday and it was gone before noon Sunday. Oh well.

Anyways, I've noticed I don't have the funds for this yet but should by the end of the week. So everyone please cross their fingers so this thing will wait around for me. Seems like a great deal.