LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 9:34 am 

Short update and a couple of ideas others may be able to use.

The Duratec intake manifold uses O-rings and I wanted a high compliance intake manifold gasket as I had doubts about the flatness of my intake flange. So I worked a generous amount of RTV into cork gasket that had been cut to the general dimensions of the flange. It was placed on the flange and allowed to setup. The proper openings were cut into the gasket, using a box cutter. RTV was then worked into the exposed cork. Here is the finished product.

Here is the gasket after about 2,000 miles and being removed two times.
I think it worked pretty good. The exposed area were touched up with RTV and a light coat of grease applied to the entire surface.

The intake runners were trimmed to work better at 16", cleaned, painted and installed. Heat shrink radiator clamps were use used to seal the sliding joints. They were a tight fit over the 2" pipe, but seem to have worked very well.

Bill

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 10:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Bill-
That intake came out looking really good! The heat-shrink seals look kinda cool...
Well done, Sir!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 11:44 am 

Let's not mention looks. I was feeling cross and grumpy, just wanted to get the damn thing done. So I did nothing to finish it, washed it good and shot some Krylon HammerTone on it. I had planned on doing it up with body putty, but not in this lifetime.

Yeah, the heat shrink clamps worked like a champ. Best part - they were free. A bud in a car club worked at a Napa store that went belly up and he snagged them out of the trash.

Bill

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 11:56 am 
We are Slotus!

BBlue wrote:
Let's not mention looks. I was feeling cross and grumpy, just wanted to get the damn thing done. So I did nothing to finish it, washed it good and shot some Krylon HammerTone on it. I had planned on doing it up with body putty, but not in this lifetime.

Yeah, the heat shrink clamps worked like a champ. Best part - they were free. A bud in a car club worked at a Napa store that went belly up and he snagged them out of the trash.

Bill

Dear "Cross and Grumpy"- The intake photographs well, and let's just let it go at that... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 9:46 pm 

Spent a long, frustrating summer trouble shooting the beast. It seemed to have two tuning modes, one considerably richer than the other. Culprit: The reservoir used to dampen manifold pulse peaks and reversions. I do not know why or how, but eliminating the reservoir and substituting restriction, in the form of two .030" orifices, one at the manifold and one at the ECU, solved the problem. It also improved throttle off idle response a TON. This had a problem from the very beginning and has nothing to do with this intake manifold.

This was all worked out, the engine retuned, new larger tires fitted and the rear ratio changed from 3.55 to 3.80. Here are the results of the best "dyno run" using the long skinny intake runners. It also used the old tires and rear end, so the engine had to rev only to 6280 to max out the run at 80 mph.

Speed - - Revs - - Time
20 mph - 1570 ---------
30 mph - 2355 - - 1.7
40 mph - 3140 - - 1.7
50 mph - 3925 - - 1.8
60 mph - 4710 - - 1.9
70 mph - 5495 - - 2.6
80 mph - 6280 - - 3.5

Total time - 13.2 seconds

Times with short fat runners, large tires and 3.80 rear.
20 mph - 1627 ----------
30 mph - 2441 - - 1.7
40 mph - 3255 - - 1.6
50 mph - 4068 - - 1.7
60 mph - 4882 - - 1.8
70 mph - 5695 - - 2.0
80 mph - 6509 - - 3.0

Total time - 11.8 seconds

A person can argue the impact of the new gearing, but bottom line, the old manifold would not have been able to take advantage of additional revs. In fact, they would have been a terrible detriment. I think it is obvious the long runners gave more torque below 4k as it matched the performance of the regeared short manifold.

Bill

PostPosted: September 11, 2012, 10:50 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
The reservoir used to dampen manifold pulse peaks and reversions. I do not know why or how, but eliminating the reservoir and substituting restriction, in the form of two .030" orifices, one at the manifold and one at the ECU, solved the problem.

That's great news, these mysteries are beyond irritating. Don't look back, onward and upward... Too bad you had to go through so much. It's a lesson for all of us though...

:cheers:

PostPosted: September 12, 2012, 1:27 pm 

i fitted a focus intake to my engine an a focus throttle body, i regeared the rear end to be a bit closer to the original ranger gearing and made an intake from the air cleaner to the throttle body from 3" tube with no resonance chambers.

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9