LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2006, 6:37 pm 

The widest points. The Duratec 2.4, that came in newer Rangers/Mazda pickups? I will call up and see if I can't come down for a visit this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2006, 6:43 pm 
Widest points with intake manifold, with exhaust manifold, with??? I'm not trying to be a pest, but it's tricky to come up with a single number that gives a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2006, 7:30 pm 

Thanks for asking, I'm sorry I wasn't being specific enough. I am planning on using independent throttle bodies, so they will most likely stick out the side of the bonnet. Now that I think about it, the width of the engine isn't really relevant because the header I make is also going to come out the side, and I'm sure the block with the front accessories will tuck into the frame.

Thanks again Keith, the Locost community owes people like you. I've got your book in the mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2006, 7:43 pm 
On my frame, the only tight dimension for the engine is the height at the front. There's loads of room at the sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2006, 10:10 pm 

Keith Tanner wrote:
Height of engine appears to be bang on 24". I can't tell you if it fits under a standard nosecone because that will depend on a lot of factors.

Thanks! 8)

Most OHC engines seem to be about that height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14, 2006, 9:30 am 

For the Miata transmission, what is the availabilty of a yoke to use with a regular driveshaft if you aren't planning on using the PPV (I think thats the abbreviation they use for torque tube), and are using a different rear axle setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14, 2006, 11:53 am 
The PPF (Power Plant Frame) is not related to driveshaft length - you're not going to be able to use the stock length driveshaft in a Locost regardless. The yoke must be easy to find, my local driveshaft shop didn't even blink when I brought my old driveshaft in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14, 2006, 7:11 pm 

I know a stock driveshaft can't be used, ut if the driveshaft shop could make a new one something work, then it must not be a problem. I would be using the Miata engine and tranny and a Triumph rear end, so I would probably want to bring them both so they know what joints to use, and what length. The 1.8l Mazda keeps looking more and more appealing.