LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 1:51 pm 

I'm about to buy a $1,000 miata as my donor...I don't plan on registering it b/c it's not going to see the road (I'll use the engine/trans/diff/wiring/ECU/.... for the locost). I plan on making the locost street legal, so I know I need to keep receipts...any issue with just keeping the title paperwork, but never registering the miata under my name?

thanks!

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 4:52 pm 

Call your DMV. You might get stung when you try to register your Locost if you don't handle the source of the major parts properly. If you really have !!NO!! intention of ever registering or reselling the Miata as a car, you should probably go to the DMV with the current registered owner and have it "scrapped". Then you are getting PARTS with a clean history instead of a CAR.

Not sure how it works in OR, but in CA you will at least have to pay sales tax if you actually register it, even if it is as a "non-op". But that might be cheap insurance for a clean title when you get to registering the Locost.

Just thoughts,

John

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 6:08 pm 

I can only relay my understanding of the laws here in CO, so here's what I learned while researching the same thing:

When going to register the completed Locost, the DMV can register it a couple of different ways, a kit car (or home built), a 'replica' (shows on the title as a 196X Lotus 7), or in this context the most important which is a "reconstructed" title. What this amounts to is your completed Locost would actually be registered as a Mazda Miata. If this is how they register your car, you will want to make sure the donor car is titled in your name, to make the process of registering the Locost much MUCH easier (namely, the DMV won't have to VIN check the engine/trans to make sure it's not stolen).

Here's my $0.02, call the DMV and ask if they'll just TRANSFER the title into your name, you don't want to register the car, you just want the title transferred. My area DMV will do it for $7.50. I know this is for CO, not WA, but I hope it's of some help. Good luck!

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 6:40 pm 

I titled and registered my donor so there was no question where my parts came from. (that and I wanted to drive it for a few months...) I erroneously hoped at the time that I could just pass a safety inspection in the 7 and just keep the same plates and register as a miata. - Nope, not gonna happen, but at least I have a clean history @ the DMV from which I can build my case.

rb

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: February 17, 2010, 6:52 pm 

Thanks for the info guys - sounds like paying the 10% registration fee on a $1000 donor car is cheap insurance when I ultimately register the locost...I'll double check with my DMV in the next week or so.

-Peter

PostPosted: February 21, 2010, 9:24 pm 

Transfer tht title ... but don't register it (Ive done this in WA on a number of parts rigs).

Getting rid of the carcass is much easier when you own the title.

PostPosted: February 21, 2010, 10:29 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I tried to transfer my Miata into my name, but not register it (plates). I was surprised to find that they would not do it, because the Miata was not roadworthy. I could never get a definition of roadworthy, and several counties sang the same song, so I think it was a state-wide policy. However, I could find no legislation to support their position. In the end, I got tired of fooling with it and just forgot about it. I was pretty sure the seller was honest, so I didn't worry about getting stock with a "hot" rod.

Three years later, I showed the completed, unfiled Vehicle Transfer Record and they accepted it as a receipt. If they did a stolen parts search, I never heard about it. They had my donor VIN. They did not have my motor or tranny serial numbers.

Then again, Kentucky seems pretty lax about what they'll register.

If there's any question about the legitimacy of your donor, I would transfer it. I don't think I'd register it if you're not going to drive it. You may have to fill out an affidavit of non-use or something.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 22, 2010, 4:12 pm 

I'm in WA as well. I plan to use the title and bill of sale as proof of purchase for the WSP VIN inspection. I don't plan to transfer the title or register it in my name. I'm a ways out from that point, but I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes when I get there.

PostPosted: February 23, 2010, 4:33 pm 

be careful ...

from RCW 46.12.101
Quote:
(6) If the purchaser or transferee fails or neglects to make application to transfer the certificate of ownership and license registration within fifteen days after the date of delivery of the vehicle, he or she shall on making application for transfer be assessed a twenty-five dollar penalty on the sixteenth day and two dollars additional for each day thereafter, but not to exceed one hundred dollars. The director may by rule establish conditions under which the penalty will not be assessed when an application for transfer is delayed for reasons beyond the control of the purchaser. Conditions for not assessing the penalty may be established for but not limited to delays caused by:

(a) The department requesting additional supporting documents;

(b) Extended hospitalization or illness of the purchaser;

(c) Failure of a legal owner to release his or her interest;

(d) Failure, negligence, or nonperformance of the department, auditor, or subagent;

(e) The transferee had no knowledge of the filing of the vehicle report of sale and signs an affidavit to the fact.

Failure or neglect to make application to transfer the certificate of ownership and license registration within forty-five days after the date of delivery of the vehicle is a misdemeanor.

http://law.justia.com/washington/codes/ ... 2.101.html

just do the title transfer ... you can choose NOT to register it tho (or simply let the registration expire which is what I typically do).

PostPosted: February 23, 2010, 4:40 pm 

BTW, the reasoning behind this is ...

Say I was the one who sold you this car ... and you fail to title it in your name. You then abandon it. Fees associated with impound, parking infractions, etc will be *my* responsibility unless I have filed a "report of sale" (and can prove it!). That lets me off the hook and then they'll try to come after you.

This *has* happened to me. I sold a van to an indigent fella, he racked up a couple of hundred dollars of parking/towing/impound fees. I wasn't released until I faxed a copy of the sellers report (yes I make copies :) ) ... I doubt they ever found him tho.