LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2000 Chevy V6 Camaro
PostPosted: August 25, 2005, 4:33 pm 

My cousin has a V6 Camaro that he totalled last year when he was in from Iraq. (light damage rollover) It's been sitting in his yard on blocks (no kidding) ever since and I'm sure I could get it cheap. (He's currently back in Iraq so I'll have to wait a bit) It has relatively low miles and is a 5 speed. What all could I use from this thing other than the Engine tranny and harness. I'm wondering if the steering rack and spindles would work.

Has anyone gone this route? Would I have to make the vehicle any wider?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 8:13 am 
you could use the entire drivetrain, i'm going a similar route, accept I'm my rear end and trans came from an S10, and the V6 came from a FWD car (the FWD variants have more HP). You might be able to use the knuckles from the camaro, but my first thought would be probally not, I'm no expert on the F bodies, but I think they have really tall knuckles, right? Might want to go my route and use the S10 knuckles if thats the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 12:37 pm 
Yes the front knuckles are for the same front end as a 2nd gen rx7. It is possible to use them, but easier and much more practical to use s10 ones.

For a decent writeup on how to use them go to the web page of the yellow car on the front page to this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 1:37 pm 
the knuckles/spindles on that car were from what looks like a strut type suspension, the F bodies have a upper and lower control arms like the S10 as far as I know. What i was getting at was that the over height over the knuckle looks pretty tall.

rad pic of a late model camaro with custome knuckle and control arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 2:53 pm 
There was some disscussion on the locostbuilders.uk.co , and the general consensus was that unless you want to design and build an adapter then the camarro spindles were no good. I am pretty sure there is only 1 control arm, and the shock bolts directly to the knuckle

You can see in the picture where the shock bolts too, right above it there is a hole, The shock should go in there. i am pretty sure that the picture is a double wishbone suspension conversion.

when I searched for f camaro on google this is the only decent image that popped up

Although if there is a waill then there's a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 2:56 pm 
Never mind I was wrong, I just found this parts diagram, it clearly shows 2 wishbones, but the spindle looks quite tall.