LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 25, 2020, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamaha SHO V6
PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 2:01 pm 

From my understanding, a 3.0l or 3.2l Yamaha V6 engine requires 2 donors: a Ford Ranger RWD with the 3.0l V6 and 5 speed transmission and a Taurus SHO (for the engine, naturally). The SHO will bolt up the transmission and the Ranger would be the primary donor vehicle going forward (transmission, rear axle, whatever else).

My question is: what would be able to carried over from each car? Do either of these cars have forward steering racks? Spindles? The ranger's front suspension is double wishbone, if I'm not mistaken. Is that able to be used with any success? What about steering columns?

Thanks in advance, all.

EDIT: Can the 4WD 5 speed transmission still be used for the Locost?

Post subject: Re: Yamaha SHO V6
PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 3:26 pm 

The Ranger's transmission behind the 3.0 Vulcan V-6 is the Mazda unit with a top shifter, so unless you do an extender, you're going to be reaching into the dash to shift. The good news is that all you will have to do to the driveshaft is shorten it. The three rubber plugs behind the shifter should be replaced with brass freeze plugs by Dorman. The rubber plugs leak, sometimes quickly.

The SHO is a rear steer rack with power assist.

I'm using the SHO motor in front of a T-5, and a Supra rear end.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 3:31 pm 

Using the ranger engine, would no longer make it a yamaha sho v6... Yamaha only made the sho engine and it has the same bellhousing as the 2.3 and 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder engines. not the v6 ranger, the sho was v6 through 1996... Maybe this helps

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 4:11 pm 

98 gt wrote:
Using the ranger engine, would no longer make it a yamaha sho v6... Yamaha only made the sho engine and it has the same bellhousing as the 2.3 and 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder engines. not the v6 ranger, the sho was v6 through 1996... Maybe this helps

Uh, no it doesn't. The SHO block has the exact same bell housing pattern as the 3.0 Vulcan motor used in the Ranger and the regular Taurus SLO. Would you like to see pics? I have the SHO motor bolted up to the AeroStar bell housing from 1987-88 with the Vulcan V-6 and the Mazda M50-R1 from the Rangers with the 3.0 Vulcan V-6. Iknow the Yamaha's frontwards and backwards. Go ahead, ask me something about them. I have 5 of them on engine stands in my shop right now.

Tom

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 4:21 pm 

I don't think you can use the 4WD tranny, if I remember right it has a different tailhousing that's also the transfer case, way too wide for a Locost. If the transfer case is seperate from the tranny, then there's no reason it wouldn't work, just skip the transfer case.

If you're going to buy a donor, get the Ranger. About the only thing out of the SHO that you will use is the motor, so I wouldn't bother buying one unless it's real cheap. Just pull a motor from a junkyard or keep an eye out for a motor for sale (they do get pulled out to be sold for projects just like this).

Also, if OffroadSHO and anyone else (myself included) disagree about something SHO related, Offroad is likely the correct one. He's not kidding when he says he knows these motors. Good luck with the build!

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 5:04 pm 

firebat45 wrote:
I don't think you can use the 4WD tranny, if I remember right it has a different tailhousing that's also the transfer case, way too wide for a Locost. If the transfer case is seperate from the tranny, then there's no reason it wouldn't work, just skip the transfer case.

RWD:
AWD:

It doesn't look that wide.

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 10:08 pm 

Off Road SHO wrote:
Uh, no it doesn't. The SHO block has the exact same bell housing pattern as the 3.0 Vulcan motor used in the Ranger and the regular Taurus SLO. Would you like to see pics? I have the SHO motor bolted up to the AeroStar bell housing from 1987-88 with the Vulcan V-6 and the Mazda M50-R1 from the Rangers with the 3.0 Vulcan V-6. Iknow the Yamaha's frontwards and backwards. Go ahead, ask me something about them. I have 5 of them on engine stands in my shop right now.

Tom

Yeah, forgot about the vulcans... Oops

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 11:28 pm 

Don't the FWD and RWD Vulcans use different bell housing bolt patterns?

Bill

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 11:58 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Don't the FWD and RWD Vulcans use different bell housing bolt patterns?

Bill

No, and they are one of the few if not the only Ford engine that is the same in both applications.

Tom

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 12:13 am 

1 SHO V-6 + 1 Ranger 3.0 5 speed trans waiting for a home. (I am looking mostly for a Pinto to stuff it in, but may take some British metal)

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 3:36 am 

Scrabblegod, what did you do for clutch? Rehubbed SHO disk? Probe Turbo disk? Custom flywheel? Adapt SHO flywheel to Ranger clutch? I'm a little stuck at the moment, I think the Probe disk is the best bet...

Apparently an 2004+ Evo disk fits too.

OP, that's kind of what I was talking about, I was a little wrong. The 4WD one is meant to bolt straight onto the transfer case, that's why it's got a different tailhousing. I'm not sure you could use it as just a RWD, it might not be sealed properly on it's own. RWD Rangers are easier to find than 4WD, I'd recommend one of them.

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 12:20 am 

I have a rehubbed SHO disk. I have recently seen several references to the Mitsubishi disk. I have not looked into it, but I like the idea of an off the shelf part to fit. I also have not played with the throwout bearing. Once I decided to put the Caddy V-8 and Supra 5spd in the Locost, I have set the SHO aside.
I have several engines waiting for the right project. Currently building another caddy powered Fiero. I have the SHO, a 3800SC and a mid 70s JAG V-12 looking for homes.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 7:22 pm 

Is the Ranger 4wd system a part-time, off road application, or can it be used on the road?

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 9:20 pm 

Off Road SHO wrote:
98 gt wrote:

Tom

Is the SHO bell housing bolt pattern the same as the Pinto 2.0?
Bill

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 11:57 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Is the SHO bell housing bolt pattern the same as the Pinto 2.0?
Bill

No, it's not.

These are the only engines that share the bellhousing pattern of the Yamaha, as you can see, the Vulcan is the only one that came in a RWD configuration:

2.3/2.5L HSC FWD I4
3.0L Vulcan V6 (FWD and RWD)
3.0/3.2L SHO V6
3.8L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (FWD only)

I also believe that the Ranger 4WD system is 4WD, not AWD, meaning it's not suitable for road use.