LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: November 8, 2012, 12:26 pm 

yes that does, thankyou!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 8, 2012, 12:28 pm 

a.moore wrote:
I would venture to guess that the 2.5 is the same as well since it is a bored and stroked 2.3 but I have no official proof.

I am totally clueless on the 1.5 and 1.6 engines in the Mazda 2 and the Fiesta but it would be very nice if they were also the same. A 1.5 or 1.6L in a Locost would be a very nice engine.
The 2.5L has been installed into a NC Miata, so yes it too shares the same bolt pattern. The 1.6L in the Fiesta is a Sigma engine and appears to have a different bellhousing pattern than the Duratec/MZR. I haven't seen any indication of whether it's a pattern shared by any other engine families, but I wouldn't get my hopes up there either. Much like Duratec is just a name to Ford, it seems MZR is to Mazda. Even though the 1.5L in the Mazda2 is identified as an MZR it is not related to the larger MZR's and is unlikely to share a bellhousing pattern.

The newest question is if the direct injection 2.0L and/or Ecoboost I3/I4 family share a bellhousing pattern with an existing (RWD enabled) product. I would have expected the 2.0L to share the standard Duratec I4 pattern, but have seen no evidence one way or the other on that front yet.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 9, 2012, 10:43 am 

In case anyone is thinking of bolting an early Pinto bell housing to a Zetec block, it only buys you half a loaf. Yes, it will bolt up, but starter location on the 2.0 and 2.3 is the same and is very different than used in the Zetec. :cry:

Bill

PostPosted: November 29, 2012, 5:13 pm 

BBlue wrote:
In case anyone is thinking of bolting an early Pinto bell housing to a Zetec block, it only buys you half a loaf. Yes, it will bolt up, but starter location on the 2.0 and 2.3 is the same and is very different than used in the Zetec. :cry:

Bill

Bill, The starter is in a different location with a Pinto bellhousing but it still works using a Pinto starter. I did have to trim some of the ribs from the oil pan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 29, 2012, 7:14 pm 

so having bolted the zetec to the pinto bell housing, did you use an early pinto bell or a later lima?

what flywheel, clutch and pilot bearing did you use?

how did you operate the clutch?

was the starter from a pinto or a lima?

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 29, 2012, 9:15 pm 
The voice of reason

Maybe this isn't locost, but I saw a Zetec to T5 bellhousing that was SFI approved at a speed shop the other day. It was 22 lbs. I forget the maker, but it was the normal one you see that offers SFI bellhousings for V8's...

PostPosted: November 30, 2012, 10:03 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Maybe this isn't locost, but I saw a Zetec to T5 bellhousing that was SFI approved at a speed shop the other day. It was 22 lbs. I forget the maker, but it was the normal one you see that offers SFI bellhousings for V8's...

Marcus,

Could it have been one of the bell housings from the RWD guys?

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/bellhousings/cat_2.html

Was it at a roundy round type of shop?

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: November 30, 2012, 5:55 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
so having bolted the zetec to the pinto bell housing, did you use an early pinto bell or a later lima?

what flywheel, clutch and pilot bearing did you use?

how did you operate the clutch?

was the starter from a pinto or a lima?

John, I used the 2.0 Zetec flywheel machined flat and drilled to accept a Merkur XR4ti clutch. I would have gone with a Pinto clutch but the XR4ti one came with the T9 I'm using. A standard 2.0 Pinto bell housing and t/o bearing. The two top holes on the Lima bell don't match with a Zetec. The clutch will be actuated by a pull type slave cylinder. I haven't made the bracket to mount it yet. In my research of starters the 2.0 Pinto and 2.3 Lima use the same starter. Here is a link to the starter.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1696-23-liter.aspx

-John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9