LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 25, 2020, 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 11:01 am 

The Burton Power website only addresses UK spec vehicles. So when you see "•Cortina Mk4/5 1.6GT/2.0/2.3" the "2.3" is actually a 2.3L V6 not our 2.3 Lima. I probably should have noted that.

I emailed Larry Wells from the Capri Club North America and he told me his guess from where my Type E transmission came from is either a '72 or '73 Pinto with a 2000cc (I gave him the numbers off of the ID tag). He said he didnt have any first hand knowledge of the 2.3 Lima's bolt pattern in the '76 or '77 Capri.

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 8:45 am 

So has someone here on our site bolted a zetec up to a rwd transmission with just ford parts? I was looking through the build pages and all I found was one Zetec bolted to a T-5; Zetec7's person build site. Oh and MichMarks build but it appears he hasnt joined the engine to the tranmissions yet. I was trying to look at the UK's website but I'd rather see it happen here in the USA.

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 10:56 am 

Here is a link to a for sale ad for a Birkin with a Zetec 2.0 and a Ford T-9 (my guess is out of a Merkur since they had the T-9 with the 2.3 OHC Lima motor). Don't know what bell housing he used or if there was an adaptor involved.

http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php? ... ight=zetec

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 2:04 pm 

Off Road SHO wrote:
Here is a link to a for sale ad for a Birkin with a Zetec 2.0 and a Ford T-9 (my guess is out of a Merkur since they had the T-9 with the 2.3 OHC Lima motor). Don't know what bell housing he used or if there was an adaptor involved.

http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php? ... ight=zetec

Tom

Well, the Birkin appears to be from "over there" (somewhere) and is available from the factory with the Zetec and Type 9. My guess would be the builder got a Type 9 Sierra tranny and bell when he purchased the kit. That would be the easiest way.

Bill

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 10:46 pm 

Is there a difference in starter locations on zetecs from different cars or years? Specifically a starter mounting location on the lower half of the bellhousing?

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 10:00 am 

From my research, in Europe, the first generation of Zetec had the starter in the same location as the Pinto engine, and had moved by '98 to the location 1:30 location looking at the end of the crank on the transmission end of the engine. Did we get that older version of the zetec? (Burtonpower seems to reinforce the concept of two difference starter locations; ie Zetec-E and Zetec-SE.)

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 3:44 pm 

I ran into the same thing. As near as I can tell, there are two different families of Zetec. There is the "old" European version, which we have. It is essentially a different head on the CVH block and is of the "Zeta" engine family. In 1998, Europe got the SE. Its a totally different engine, a member of the "Sigma" family, which is Mazda and the bells are not interchangeable. As near as I can tell, we never were exposed to the SE, at least not as a Zetec engine. Although our Zetec underwent block some redesign in the late 90's, the bore spacing remained constant at 3.614 (same as the CVH) from 1995 until 2004.

Note: I can be all wrong on this. I suggest checking out Wickipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetec
Bill

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 11:38 pm 

I am planning on a Zetec build since I have salvaged a T-9 from a Merkur. I had been considering looking at a Contour for the engine donor since I had read that the oil pan may be usable without modification.

Michmark Mark

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 10:45 am 

I asked if there were different starter locations for the zetec over on the GRM forum and got this:

Quote:
7pilot New Reader
In reply to Rza:

I Have a 96 MY Zetec 1 in my Birkin. This is an 2.0L ex Contour install. The block has the starter down at 7 o clock looking forwards, with a Birkin type 9 bell housing.I'm using a Euro sourced type 9 5 speed. Flywheel is Euro market Ford Mondeo 1.8 L. The starter location is on the hot side of the engine. A lot of kit car/7 guys relocate it to the cool side. All you need is the appropriate bell housing. m

So if I get a x-mas bonus this year I'll be hunting down a pre-'98 contour.

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 8:06 pm 

Wow!! It all sounds so confusing. This is my first post but thought I could post with some worthwhile information. I'm installing a Zetec and T9 into my Cortina GT. The bellhousing that works with this combo is one from a 71 - 73 Pinto with a 2.0 (EAO), not the 1.6 Kent. My type 9 is from the UK, but the only difference from the version available in the US is the input shaft is 1/2" longer for the XR4TI. The fix for that is to either cut 1/2" from the input shaft or add a 1/2" spacer between the T9 and bellhousing. This is what a freind of mine did when installing a T9 in his Cortina. I don't have a photo of the T9 here at work but here is one of the Zetec with a 2.0 bellhousing and starter bolted up.

Attachments:
PC160595.jpg
PC160595.jpg [ 71.6 KiB | Viewed 3717 times ]
PostPosted: January 16, 2010, 11:39 am 

RossD wrote:
I asked if there were different starter locations for the zetec over on the GRM forum and got this:

Quote:
7pilot New Reader
In reply to Rza:

I Have a 96 MY Zetec 1 in my Birkin. This is an 2.0L ex Contour install. The block has the starter down at 7 o clock looking forwards, with a Birkin type 9 bell housing.I'm using a Euro sourced type 9 5 speed. Flywheel is Euro market Ford Mondeo 1.8 L. The starter location is on the hot side of the engine. A lot of kit car/7 guys relocate it to the cool side. All you need is the appropriate bell housing. m

So if I get a x-mas bonus this year I'll be hunting down a pre-'98 contour.

all Contours, pre98 and 98+, have the starter on the intake side just under the manifold, roughly 1:30 to 2 o'clock position. (Im a Contour owner, had a 97 with a zetec that i rebuilt with a 95 engine and I have lots of friends who have 98+ Zetec Contours).

PostPosted: January 18, 2010, 9:48 am 

So I'm guessing we, here in the US, never got the version of the zetec with starter in any other location. Oh well, maybe I'll see if it will work anyways with a Focus zetec. Thanks Striker2.

PostPosted: January 18, 2010, 4:07 pm 

RossD wrote:
So I'm guessing we, here in the US, never got the version of the zetec with starter in any other location. Oh well, maybe I'll see if it will work anyways with a Focus zetec. Thanks Striker2.

dont think of the that other engine as a Zetec (even though the valve cover says it on it). The Zetec SE is actually a sigma engine, which im not sure we ever got in the US.

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 9:53 am 

I've looked into the Zetec-SE and it never came in the 1.8L or 2.0L size that everyone seems to be putting in RWD cars. They must be using the pre-'95 Zetec for their rwd cars swaps, and we only got the post '95 Zetecs. (I think this is the case, at least.)
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/stepbystep.shtml
(The website's author calls the "-SE" just the "-S", I believe)

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 11:57 am 

sigma (Zetec-SE)engine.
http://burtonpower.com/technical_1/zetec_se.aspx

Zetec engine
http://burtonpower.com/technical_1/zetec_e.aspx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next