LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 1:42 pm 

Has anyone relocated the shifter back farther for the ranger's 2.3L duratec transmission (M50D-R1)?

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:55 pm 

Hey guys,
I was doing some research (I am hoping to 4age a locost :mrgreen: )
and I found some information you guys might like t0 hear:
Toyota A series engines (such as the 4age) can be mated to a t-50 transmission.
This t-50 transmission was made by bog warner, and, with varying bell housings, was adapted to fit many makes and models.
The T-50 transmission will need to be mated to a 4A series engine with a bell housing from a AE86 corolla, or similar car of toyota make.

Where to find T-50 transmissions:
1. V-8 Monza
2. Chevy S-10

Engines that can mate to T-50's include [with the correct bell housing](almost?)every toyota A series engine, the Chevrolet S-10 engine, the Chevy V-8 from the monda, and a few others.

Sources:
1. http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bra ... ission.htm
2. http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg- ... ission.htm

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:35 pm 
michaelwoodcock wrote:
Hey guys,
I was doing some research (I am hoping to 4age a locost :mrgreen: )

and I found some information you guys might like t0 hear:
Toyota A series engines (such as the 4age) can be mated to a t-50 transmission.
This t-50 transmission was made by bog warner, and, with varying bell housings, was adapted to fit many makes and models.
The T-50 transmission will need to be mated to a 4A series engine with a bell housing from a AE86 corolla, or similar car of toyota make.

Where to find T-50 transmissions:
1. V-8 Monza
2. Chevy S-10

Engines that can mate to T-50's include [with the correct bell housing](almost?)every toyota A series engine, the Chevrolet S-10 engine, the Chevy V-8 from the monda, and a few others.

Sources:
1. http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bra ... ission.htm
2. http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg- ... ission.htm

I'm afraid not. The Borg Warner T-50 and the Toyota T-50 are two completely different transmissions and, as far as I know, share no parts or patterns.

Greg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:43 pm 

Wow, I am so glad you caught that before any damage was done
(and someone bought a borg warner t-50)

:oops:

That mistake has me double guessing my plans! I read on the page (for the borg warner) that the t-50 could take 400+HP. The toyota t-50 apparently is not as robust :( Dunno if I would like to go 4age after all

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:54 pm 
michaelwoodcock wrote:
Wow, I am so glad you caught that before any damage was done
(and someone bought a borg warner t-50)

:oops:

That mistake has me double guessing my plans! I read on the page (for the borg warner) that the t-50 could take 400+HP. The toyota t-50 apparently is not as robust :( Dunno if I would like to go 4age after all

Seek... and ye shall find...

http://beasted86.webs.com/ae86buildlog.htm

Source is Rhett DelRosario : toycoolgarage@hotmail.com

Greg

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 5:05 pm 

Thanks Greg!

Hey guys,
should we start a new thread for potential engine/transmission combos? I don't like the idea of dirtying a thread about basically taking an engine and transmission from a single car, with posts about taking an engine from here, and a transmission from there. Basically, a non original (OEM paired)engine/trans thread.

Greg,
I have heard the 1uzfe can be adapted to the w58 transmission, so, if I were going to be using that transmission, I would want to go 1uzfe, it can be cheaper than the 4age anyways :mrgreen: Although that is not including the modifications to adapt it to the manual transmission. :ack:

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 10:32 pm 

michaelwoodcock wrote:
Thanks Greg!

Hey guys,
should we start a new thread for potential engine/transmission combos? I don't like the idea of dirtying a thread about basically taking an engine and transmission from a single car, with posts about taking an engine from here, and a transmission from there. Basically, a non original (OEM paired)engine/trans thread.

Greg,
I have heard the 1uzfe can be adapted to the w58 transmission, so, if I were going to be using that transmission, I would want to go 1uzfe, it can be cheaper than the 4age anyways :mrgreen: Although that is not including the modifications to adapt it to the manual transmission. :ack:

Dirty away Mike, that's what it's here for. :wink:

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 10:57 pm 

So I've been searching the site and I cant seem to find what I'm looking for, so here goes:
The craigslist ad: http://appleton.craigslist.org/pts/1199631030.html
I am assuming that the engine in the ad is the 1600 kent. yes/no?
What I have is a '77 Capri with the 2.3L and Type F 4 speed (with external linkages) and I am looking to replace the transmission with a T-5.
So, I'm thinking that my Type-F with a 1600 kent would be a cool vintage solution to powering a Locost. Will these parts bolt together with the bellhousing that is already attached to the 2.3L/Type-F?

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 5:29 pm 

Just came across this possible rear axle / suspension / subframe for those in the bigger, more power, V8 camp.

Late-model Chrysler 300. Bolt it on and go.

For 442, 442e, +4 and steamroller fenders... :wink:
Track width 63.1" (about 2" more each side than current Miata, 3.5" more each side than 1999 Miata)

(Note also of interest, the Aluminum rect. tube frame... used in Auburn and Cord replica cars)

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 5:33 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

For someone considering the use of the entire subframe, that appears to be much more performance handling oriented than the tbird irs, judging from the control arm design. What ratios are available? Production years? Diffs? What does the front suspension look like?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 8:22 am 

The input to that Chrysler diff looks like it is a German design from the Daimler/Chrysler days. It uses the same guibo (rubber donut) as BMW uses on the transmission end of the driveshaft to absorb some vibration and eliminate the need to sync the u-joints.

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 10:27 am 
Some info:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... p?t=123339

Greg

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 11:42 am 

SportsCarDesigner wrote:
Just came across this possible rear axle / suspension / subframe for those in the bigger, more power, V8 camp.

Late-model Chrysler 300. Bolt it on and go.

SCD

Looks very interesting. Do you have a link for where you found those pics? Would be fun to put something like that under my '64 Chrysler 300 'vert.
Mikey Bynum

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 6:30 pm 

dodgedartgt wrote:

Looks very interesting. Do you have a link for where you found those pics? Would be fun to put something like that under my '64 Chrysler 300 'vert.
Mikey Bynum

http://www.speedstermotorcar.com/new-generation-three-chassis.html

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 8:11 pm 

This should be a popular choice - in five or six years.

New 2011 Mustang Duratec V6 - 3.7 liters, 305 hp, 280 lb/ft. Six speed manual or auto. Aluminum too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next