LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FS Track Day Car
PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 4:14 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
My sentiments exactly, Tongboy. I'm looking into how to register it in Oregon (the equipment isn't going to be much trouble, but our DMV folks are sticklers on proof-of-ownership on major components--the engine, for example) and if that works, looking into how to get it out here. I'm not calling First Dibs or nothin' but I'm genuinely interested in it.

you'd have to check the exact wording but I believe it would qualify as a registered race exempt vehicle under the At-om exemptions.

they can be a pain but not *that* much of a pain. if you have a bill of sale for the few major components that should be more than enough. mostly they are looking for engine/trans stuff and as this is a BEC there should be less interest on those. Good luck communicating that to the tired clerk at the counter though.

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: April 27, 2013, 1:26 pm 

you would have to really study the oregon At-om exemptions carefully. they are very specific to the At-om including suspension setup, etc...
I was thinking of trying the same thing

PostPosted: July 19, 2013, 5:54 pm 

New front wing. Fenders now mounted. Still for sale.
Marty
Attachment:
DSCN0425 (800x600).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 7, 2013, 4:35 pm 

Man, I wish there was a way, but without provenance on the engine, the Oregon DMV won't let me license it either. If some reader's state's DMV is more liberal than Marty's or mine, I think it would be an easy conversion to streetable (lights, horn, muffler), but even without the necessary street stuff this looks like a bargain as a track day car. It makes me wish I were a track day kinda guy, but for me, it's street or nothin'.

I'll confess I have my eyes open for a wrecked CBR1000 at the right price, and if I find one and Marty's car hasn't sold yet, I'll be looking at buying the car sans engine...but this post is not a hold, it's a bump. This car deserves a good home and I'm sorry I can't provide it with one.

PostPosted: November 7, 2013, 5:38 pm 

My wife thinks I should convert to an electric car. Might be fun but I would miss the engine noise. It also doesn't make much sense to add $6,000 to $10,000 to a car that is not sale-able now.
I will make a decision over the winter and if sparks are not in my future, it will go on ebay with no reserve. I will notify this board first.
Marty

PostPosted: November 9, 2013, 2:23 am 

get a P.O. box in an easy state, but you'll have to change your drivers license to that state as well. many people have vacation homes and register there vehicles there.

and while you are at it pick a state with no state income tax.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 9, 2013, 9:22 am 

I'm still not sure why you don't get a different engine with the appropriate pedigree (Bill of sale with VIN). Then you can sell the existing engine to some unsuspecting soul, or at least someone who needs a race engine.

The alternative is to buy a used bare block, with proper VIN paperwork of course, and move all of your parts over to it. Used, bare blocks seem to be selling between 220 and 300 on ebay. That way you don't have that much more inevested and don't have to sell the old one.

It would be a shame to see it go after all the work you put in. But if you do, it would sell so much easier as a street licensed/titled vehicle. Heck, maybe even Jack might buy it then :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 2:29 pm 

In Missouri, even a bill of sale with a VIN is not sufficient. Got to have a copy of the bike's title.
I can go through adverse possession in the courts but I hate attorneys.
I could do the rebuild with a bare block but the Japanese bike motors seem to require a bit more tolerencing than my old Sprite race motors. Not sure if I have the talent.
Last option would be to buy a used bike. I have never ridden a real motorcycle so anything I bought would probably rapidly become a crashed bike. When I got out of the hospital I could swap engines and then sell the remaining parts on ebay.
Perhaps you can tell I have run out of enthusiasm.
Thanks for all the input.
Marty

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 9:05 pm 

When you got to get a title does it need to run?
Randy

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 2:22 am 

B85 wrote:
When you got to get a title does it need to run?
Randy

Oregon didn't care if it ran, they sure didn't look at the vin on the engine or anything else on the car either.

Marty have you tried hauling it down to your motor vehicle registration outfit and had it shot down yet? I know Oregon is supposed to be obscenely easy but I thought Missouri was supposed to be easier than a lot of other states too.

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 10:16 am 

Somehow I got thru Illinois process. I emailed them an scanned receipt for the engine (running gear) and a photocopy of the Salvage-branded Title in a 3rd party's name. The engine's number could not be deciphered at all. it was just poorly stamped. Besides, in a rotary engine, which part of the sandwhiched assembly really is the "engine". Even so, the number wasn't the same as the VIN number. Mazda North America could not verify the engine number for me, given the VIN, because they purged their records when they were notified that the car was scrapped. In spite of all these "issues" Illinois still issued me a VIN and registered it for road use. I can't say this is the norm. I understand that I was one of the lucky ones. There, by the grace of......... and all!

Marty, out of enthusiasm or not, you still seem to be making small bits of progress every now and then. If your wife wins out and you decide to go all electric, try the Speedracer Android app out to get your engine noise "fix". [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9HWHjUcyc[/youtube] The App version won't work without an OBDII port. They have a plug-in cigarette outlet FM transmitter that feeds the sounds into a FM stereo system.

P.S. I guess our youtube embedding is not working right now. try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9HWHjUcyc&feature=player_detailpage

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 2:14 pm 

I wasn't really considering an on-board radio but the app would be great fun. I got a good chuckle out of the concept.
Marty

PostPosted: December 20, 2013, 10:30 am 

The car has been sold.