LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 23, 2013, 8:09 pm 

Well, it's time to go to an enclosed so I'm going to get rid of my little trailer that has treated me very well for the 18 months that I've had it.

I had this trailer custom made based off of the Brunton design (http://stalkercars.com/trailers/) As they are based in Florida it would have been prohibitively expensive for me to have one shipped.

4" drop axles with a ~14ft bed that tilts at the axle centerline. Inside wheel well dimensions are ~74". This is a fair bit longer than the Brunton design to account for loading my lower than standard car.

This trailer will load very low cars without any extra wood/ramps. I could drive my lotus clone at 3" ride height up the trailer without issue. at 1.75" ride height I have to use some 1" boards for an increased ramp (about 3")

Trailer is very light and can easily be towed behind a car - I towed my ~1200lb car and barely noticed it was there behind my Audi station wagon.

Trailer has a 2" hitch and 7 pin connector with electric trailer brakes and breakaway battery (you won't find this on a trailer this small normally)

Trailer was built in July of 2012 and has been to haul my lotus rep to racing events around the northwest - I've put right at 3000 miles on it since new. I've checked the brakes and repacked the bearings each October/November at the end of the race season.

The wheels & tires are about 6-8 months old. Someone stole the original ones off of the trailer so they were replaced with radial trailer tires and new wheels. The spare tire is a bias ply tire. All three wheels have locks on them.

For a fellow locoster how how about I start at 2500 OBO? You'd be hard pressed to buy the materials and components to build a similar trailer for that much. I have an Oregon Title in hand.

Pictures! some of them are copies from my build thread

Please let me know if you have any questions! PMs or email to tongboy@yahoo.com

I'm headed down to norcal to pickup my enclosed at the end of this week if anyone is interested in delivery between PDX & Sac.

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: December 23, 2013, 8:19 pm 

a picture of the bed tilted would be nice.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 24, 2013, 7:53 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
a picture of the bed tilted would be nice.

Certainly!

and just in case a fellow locoster wants to try and duplicate the design - here is the hinge mechanism in front of the wheel

I had another person ask how much it weighed so I busted out my scales - the trailer as it's sitting with a few feet of chain across the deck and the scale readout sitting on the back was 943lbs. Right at 940lbs - with a locost you're easily under a class II hitch rating.

I was a bit low on the deck width between the fenders - it's 77 1/2"

Buy my car! - F20C Race car