LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB miata A/C compressor
PostPosted: June 24, 2016, 7:19 pm 

I've got a 2002 miata that at least needs a new clutch for the A/C compressor. Turns out you can't buy a clutch by itself, and I'm not sure I can do the job w/o removing the compressor lines, so I'm looking to see if anybody has a compressor/ clutch unit. I think its got to be from an NB, since most of the ones on ebay show that kind of compatibility (99-2005). I'll get one off ebay if I have to, but I thought somebody here might know the functionality, mileage, etc...

As a side note, if you have a miata, you might check the relays to see if they are corroding under the rubber covers, I had one wire corrode through that I think caused all my problems. They use 2 of the same kind of relay, one for the compressor and one for the fan up behind the drivers side headlight.

Thanks
Sam

PostPosted: June 26, 2016, 5:09 pm 

I have an 05' S2000 AC compressor, but that is probably as much use to you as a chocolate fire guard.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: June 26, 2016, 8:13 pm 

haha thanks for the offer, I'm gonna try and stay plug and play for my daily. I may just get something off of ebay since its so hot, just have to decide if I want to go used or re-manufactured. If I can't do a clutch swap I'd sure hate to get it all vacuumed and charged just to have to do it again in a yr. I'll post something if I get one off of ebay.

PostPosted: July 23, 2016, 7:50 pm 

I went ahead and got some remanufactured stuff, hopefully I can get it up and going again before too long!
Sam

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 7:42 pm 

so, as an update, I took the clutch off of my re manufactured compressor and swapped it onto the old one since the cheapie pressure gauge I have said there was still r134a in the system. Everything came off and back on fine, and I have working a/c again! Not sure why I was unable to buy an a/c clutch by itself anywhere for a post 1993 miata though. Clearly the parts are removable, and necessary at least occasionally. I looked everywhere for part numbers, but the remaunfacturing place got them somewhere, so maybe I should have dug deeper. I wrote down all of the numbers I could find on the old and new parts, and they did not completely match, but all the parts went together ok. At some point I'll see if I can buy those individually as generic a/c parts. It seems like this compressor may have been used on a few different brands of cars based on ebay compatibility lists

Anyway just wanted to put this out there in case it happens to someone else.
Sam

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 6:34 pm 

if a moderator would like to move this to automotive talk, it would probably fit better there now.

So, as an update to an update, my last solution didn't work. Well, it did for maybe 15 min then it started smelling like hot rubber, so I shut the a/c off, and didn't mess with it for a few more weeks, just kept driving w/o the a/c. I finally decided to take a closer look, and it was just in time. I removed the clutch again, and it was toast, had melted wires in the windings and it was just a mess, but it had also cooked the bearing it was freewheeling on, I could see the ball-bearings from the outside, I didn't have much longer before I lost the belt along with my power steering. At this point I decided that my compressor must be bad even though it seems to turn fine by hand, and has good pressure. I called the place I bought my re-manufactured one from, and they were able to sell me a new clutch by itself, even though no such part exists on the internet as far as I can tell. (I'm guessing they are more generic and I could have gotten one somehow, but not by going off of the numbers stamped into it.) So, I took the compressor off, and replaced the clutch on the new compressor. While I'm putting the clutch back on I had quite a time getting the snap rings pushed all the way in, so I may not have gotten those on right while I was working with the compressor still attached to the car last time, possibly causing the pulley to move and destroy the bearing. Also the clutch didn't require any shim washers and it was still a couple of thousandths over the required spacing, hopefully it still works. The clutch seemed to engage on one side first, then the other snaps together, but I've never watched one engage before w/o a car running, so who knows what its supposed to look like. at this point, I figured I may as well replace the expansion valve and receiver/drier while I'm at it. Of course the expansion valve is in the car behind the glovebox, so I tear all of that apart and replace a $15 part after 4 or 6 hrs of work. Then I go after the drier, well there is no such part on a 2002. Now rock auto says otherwise, and they were happy to sell me one, but its not on NBs after 2001 as far as I can tell. I guess the actual part is built into the side of the condenser, and is no longer a removable part. This caused me all kind of headache trying to find, but only $12 in unnecessary parts. Anyway I don't have a vacuum pump, so I'm back to driving, but still no a/c. Hopefully I'm on the right track this time :)

PostPosted: September 25, 2016, 8:25 pm 

you need to be posting on the scca spec Miata forum. I am sure a racer has extra AC stuff laying around