LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 1:18 am 

At the end of June I'm putting MAX up for sale. I've had a great time with it, but some injuries from my misspent youth are catching up with me* and I'm running out of room at the inn.

As most of you know, it has an oddball engine--an 1100cc three cylinder 32 hp Kubota (same engine as some of their tractors and Bobcats and such, but it's the turbocharged version). It's no hot rod by modern standards but it keeps up okay, and thanks to its streamlining it'll hit 90 mph in ideal conditions. Its main trick is, if you take it easy, it gets 100 mpg on the freeway.

However, I have plenty of other engines and drivelines, so if you want a Miata engine and trans (and electrical system and exhaust and instruments and...) I'll be happy to swap straight across for the Kubota stuff [note: I supply the parts and you do the conversion] and I'll even throw in a Lotus 15 bonnet bubble so you don't have the Miata cam covers hanging in the breeze.

Here's a pic:
Attachment:
MAXatBridge.jpg

*Motorcycle and aircraft accidents, spinal injury, knee and shoulder injuries...in the words of Eubie Blake, If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. Every time I get in my Locost, I wonder if I'm going to have to phone somebody to get me out again--heck, it's getting hard enough to get in and out of my gf's minivan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 10:52 am 

You just need a bigger engine to put some excitement back in your ride, Jack. :lol: How about a twin-turbo, big block, whatever? That oughta do it! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 10:09 pm 

It's tempting, Lonnie, but if I put a big engine in it it would only be to make it easier to sell. Oddly enough, I enjoy it like it is, and doubt I would enjoy it much more with quadruple* the horsepower. As Sir Sterling is alleged to have said, It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

*Which is about what it would have with a Miata motor.

PostPosted: May 26, 2017, 1:58 pm 

I may be interested, I set you a pm. Thanks

PostPosted: July 15, 2019, 8:45 pm 

I haven't much to add, besides that it's July now and I'm ready to sell MAX, and as mentioned earlier, will gleefully trade a Miata engine and trans combo for the Kubota engine and Corolla trans that's in it. Also I have an engine of the same displacement and triple the horsepower (1300cc twincam from a Suzuki GTi) plus a Suzuki Samurai trans that I'd trade for the Kubota/T50 engine/trans package instead, if that would be preferable.