LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 26, 2023, 1:56 am 

Time to move my build table top out of my garage. Its 4' x 8' and made up of three full sheets of plywood and MDF sandwiching steel 2x4's, all glued and screwed together. Here's what the innards looked like before the top layer went on. Details on request.
Attachment:
006-1.jpg

It's a heavy sucker and it's the table top only. Its free, but you haul. Located on Mercer Island, WA.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 29, 2023, 2:22 am 

Ooooo... Gonna keep my eye on this. I would like it, but I have no idea when I would be up your way, or even close to there.

PostPosted: March 29, 2023, 4:42 pm 

I think you should not wait until you happen to be in the area. It's worth the trip just to meet Tom and see his great car 9 project.

PostPosted: March 31, 2023, 12:21 am 

You do have a good point there. I wish my schedule had a little more flexibility. As of right now I wouldn't be able to get up there until mid-late May. If Tom doesn't have any takers I may have to make that work.

PostPosted: April 1, 2023, 7:57 pm 

kabuku6 wrote:
You do have a good point there. I wish my schedule had a little more flexibility. As of right now I wouldn't be able to get up there until mid-late May. If Tom doesn't have any takers I may have to make that work.
Kabuku6, the tabletop is still here and unless someone beats you to, it will be until late June. Then I’ll have to toss it. The price is still FREE.

Some more details on the tabletop: The steel 2”x4” studs shown in the picture above are glued and screwed between a 4’ x 8’ sheet of ½” plywood on the bottom and a sheet of ¾” MDF on the top. The MDF was subsequently overlaid with a sheet of ¾” MDO (7 layer plywood with a resin impregnated fiber surface.) The MDO was screwed, not glued, to the MDF and shimmed to create a “dead-flat” reference work surface. The MDO is currently not detached and bears light scarring from my build.

If I had any garage or wood shop wall space left, I’d cut the tabletop lengthwise and create two 2’ x 8’ work bench tops. But alas, I may have to cut it apart anyway so I can haul it away if there are no takers. The MDO would get donated to a Second Use organization as that stuff currently retails for $100+ per sheet.

Larry, thanks for the support and kind words. Locosters are always welcome to stop by.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: April 7, 2023, 11:38 pm 

Sounds good, I'll keep my eye here and reach out to you as my time in May becomes closer. Good excuse to visit my sister in Wenatchee on the way.

PostPosted: May 27, 2023, 2:35 pm 

Gone to a new home and its next build. :D

PostPosted: May 27, 2023, 6:46 pm 

A win-win! Free up a little space at Casa Tom and kabuku6 get's a very good build table. So far the table has only produced excellent results. Make it a tradition. Best of fortune with your build kabuku6. Keep us posted. Progress photos are requested.

Cheers!

PostPosted: May 27, 2023, 10:01 pm 

The build table has made it safely to my shop, although I don't have firm plans of when I'm starting I hope this will motivate me to get to work that much sooner.

Thanks again to Tom for the table top, Arnold Palmer, and the gorgeous view of Seattle.