LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:00 am 

At least I made you look.

This might be something that you have never seen before, maybe. My guess is most have not.

It's called an Arkley SS. It's a body kit that goes on either an MG Midget or Austin Healey Sprite(non-bugeye, but the nose would actually fit). You simply remove the front fenders, hood, bumper, grille and do some trimming of the inner fender wells. It's a "tilt nose" and provides a lot of room to work in the engine compartment. Not that you would ever need to be under the bonnet of your 40 year old British sports car, right Mr Lucas! The rear requires thar the bumper and trunk be removed and the quarter panels cut. More than likely there isn't much left to the rear quarters on your donor anyway, so you are simply putting the car on a diet.

It's a neat little transformation for a Midget although not for everyone's taste.

I purchased the car simply so that the owners "neck tattoo'd" son didn't make a "rat-rod or mud buggy" out of it. I bought it solely for the fiberglass pieces, and good thing, because the rest of the car was not exactly as advertised. Before traveling to pick it up, I asked if the body had any rust, to which I was told, "it's practically rust-free". Cool, I hitched up the trailer and drove nearly 4 hours to pick it up. When I got there and removed the tarp it was sitting under, to my surprise it had quite the rusty patina in many spots. When I went to open the passengers side door, it FELL OFF! Seriously, the lower hinge FELL THE F$#K OFF! I asked why I was told that the car was "rust-free", and the son said that there isn't any rust on the fiberglass body! SERIOUSLY, I couldn't make that up. When I asked where he considers all of the rust to be, he said the frame. That's rusty, but the body is really nice! I quit trying to get any more answers, it was just easier to load it on the trailer and go.

Oh, there is no title too! The ad stated "clear title", but they weren't sure what that meant, but they have no title for what's left of the car once known as an MG Midget.

Basically I have the 2 "rust-free" fiberglass sections, 5 Chevrolet Vega GT wheels(fairly rare and sought after in the MG community believe it or not), a nice old-school ANSA muffler, a bolt-in rollbar and the donor car. The donor is a complete Midget but the mechanicals are 100% unknown. If you have a donor car, this would be a fun 2-weekend conversion. If you have a car with rust issues, this might be for you. If you are an idiot like me and just can't leave stuff in other people's garages and feel the need to take every project home, this might be for you.

I'm into the car as it sits on the trailer for about $1150. If someone wants it for that, then give me a shout. I had one of these when I was 15 but never got to drive it. The body kit was a present from my parents for my 15th birthday. Unfortunately the Midget never made it to do the conversion and the body was sold at Carlisle back in the 80's. if it doesn't sell, then I'm going to remove the nose and tail and stick them on a shelf until a suitable donor car shows up.

Here is a link to the pictures:

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb5 ... t=2&page=1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 am 

Thats a bargain at that money, they still have a following here albeit a small one. You still see the odd one this side of the pond when the sun comes out. Some gumph http://www.arkleyss.com/

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 pm 

I race against an Arkley regularly! Jim drives this yellow demon....very quick!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92504596@N08/18379667224/in/album-72157652521536913/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:41 am 

Nice rims. :)