LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 2:27 am 

EDIT***** Found a new direction, Found an unexpected donor with the correct bolt pattern to save me a lot of work! Dave from Alberta, BC alerted me to the Fiero as an Option. They have a 5x100 pattern similar to the Subie parts I'm using on the rear. So this topic will be closed and I'll start working towards a Fireo donor set. Daves offer is on the table and I'm going to work with him on it, but we know shipping from Canada can be an issue, so I might be starting this again later but with the Fiero donor as the topic.

Thanks for every one who responded to the post and in PM to this. Quite a few alternate ideas came from it! :D

Thank you,

KS

Title says the highlights of it. I have been hunting on eBay but I either get sniped or they get unreasonably expensive for what they are. Local yards have been bone dry, so I'm against a proverbial wall.

I'm looking for a set of front spindles preferably for a Miata, but I am at a cross roads where I could probably make a set of Mustangs or something similar work too. Tell me what you got..

I don't care about the condition as long as they aren't damaged. Send me a PM to let me know!

Thanks,

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by botbasher on November 8, 2009, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 8:08 am 
Lumbering Giant

Here's a nationwide search tool for Craigslist, that I used to find a reasonably priced rebuilt LSD for my car recently, like hen's teeth everywhere else:

http://craigslist.thingweb.com/

I didn't look at all the listings, but spotted this one:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/1433922149.html

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 4:31 pm 

Pete B wrote:
Here's a nationwide search tool for Craigslist, that I used to find a reasonably priced rebuilt LSD for my car recently, like hen's teeth everywhere else:

http://craigslist.thingweb.com/

I didn't look at all the listings, but spotted this one:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/1433922149.html

Do you have good luck with getting people to ship to you? The few I tried wanted local P/U only and cash.. Paypal wasn't an option!

Thank for the links.. I'll try him and see what he's willing to do!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 4:43 pm 
Lumbering Giant

I lucked out, I guess. My seller took PayPal, and gave me a good rate on shipping, too.

Edit: Just remembered that once I had a seller unwilling to ship because of the inconvenience of packing the item, so I told him to go to the UPS Store and have them do it, and I'd send a check for the cost difference. Then I overnighted a check for the purchase price and an agreed estimated shipping cost, and mailed a second check for $7 when we had the final shipping cost.

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 4:58 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I get all my Miata bits from Panic Motorsports. A great vendor to deal with, great prices, and that's coming from grumpy me.

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 6:31 pm 
Lumbering Giant

Many Nissan Sentras had 4X100 bolt pattern knuckles that look very adaptable to me, and they are plentiful cheap.

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 10:58 pm 

KS,
There are a couple folks parting out Miatas in the NW. I will pm you some email address of guys I know.
JEB in Oly

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 12:01 am 
Auto Motive, My friends call me Motive

Botbasher, aren't you useing subaru hubs in the rear? If you are you could go with my fabbed upright kit. One of the bolt on hubs that fit are 5x100, the same as subaru. $180 plus shipping. Check out my bild log if you want to see what they look like. Just another option.

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 12:17 am 

pm sent

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 2:06 am 

motive wrote:
Botbasher, aren't you using subaru hubs in the rear? If you are you could go with my fabbed upright kit. One of the bolt on hubs that fit are 5x100, the same as subaru. $180 plus shipping. Check out my build log if you want to see what they look like. Just another option.

Yeah, Complete Subie Rear.

Dude.. Those are SWEET looking uprights... I gotta see if I can shoehorn that into the budget! What are the brake options that work with them? Subie calipers as well?

KS

Last edited by botbasher on November 6, 2009, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 2:07 am 

kill no cone wrote:
KS,
There are a couple folks parting out Miatas in the NW. I will pm you some email address of guys I know.
JEB in Oly

Thanks! I'm up in Seattle every once in a while on biz.. that would be awesome to just pick them up!

Thanks!

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 12:15 am 
Auto Motive, My friends call me Motive

Botbasher, PM sent.

You can use almost any caliper. Just fabricate the needed mounting ears.

When thinking of the budget, consider the price of adapters to convert miata parts to the needed bolt pattern as well as if the new offset they create will work with the wheels you want to use.

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 2:02 am 

motive wrote:
Botbasher, PM sent.

You can use almost any caliper. Just fabricate the needed mounting ears.

When thinking of the budget, consider the price of adapters to convert miata parts to the needed bolt pattern as well as if the new offset they create will work with the wheels you want to use.

Yeah, that's the dilemma I created.

I can either find, modify or create an upright to fit the same wheels as the rear, making all four rims the same, or....

I can use established spindles.. that may be a different bolt pattern and buy 2 rims to match each set. Makes it a bit harder to "rotate" the tires, but means I use bolt on parts.

Oh yeah.. Build a car... it's easy... Uh Huh! :BH: Some days.. I just need a beer!! :cheers:

KS

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 10:32 pm 

I have this set of Fiero spindles if you are interested

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 2:47 am 

Dave wrote:
I have this set of Fiero spindles if you are interested

Found a new direction, Found an unexpected donor with the correct bolt pattern to save me a lot of work! Dave from Alberta, BC alerted me to the Fiero as an Option (Don't know why I never even looked at it!). They have a 5x100 pattern similar to the Subie parts I'm using on the rear. So this topic will be closed and I'll start working towards a Fireo donor set (Wilwood makes a killer upgrade using Corvette rotors if I find it's not enough later on!!). Daves offer is on the table and I'm going to work with him on it, but I know shipping from Canada can be an issue sometimes, so I might be starting this again later but with the Fiero donor as the topic.

Thanks for every one who responded to the post and in PM to this. Quite a few alternate ideas came from it! :D

Thank you,

KS