LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weather
PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 9:06 pm 

Man, I am so tired of the cold weather. I have a freshly rebuilt motor installed in my car but it is too damn cold to drive it. :BH:

'79 Alfa Spider Veloce
http://tomsuppa.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weather
PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 9:12 pm 

ski jacket and a helmet, you'll be fine

PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 9:38 pm 

98 gt wrote:
ski jacket and a helmet, you'll be fine

Only problem......with a ski jacket I can't fit in seat :lol:

'79 Alfa Spider Veloce

PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 9:39 pm 

move down here to florida ,worse case rain

PostPosted: March 27, 2011, 10:11 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Dudes - I have got this SO licked!

Paul drove down from Louisville to Lexington (90 miles) yesterday to meet up. He was dressed for Everest, and said he was fine.

I, on the other hand, only had to drive 5 miles, so I just threw on a flannel/denim jacket, a rabbit-fur bomber helmet, and some thin motorcycle gloves. Realizing 2 miles into the trip it was doo tamned cold, I pulled over and fished out the heater hose from under the dash, stuck it up under my jacket, and partied on.

I got so hot, I unbuttoned the top of my jacket. At that point, the warm air rushing out kept my face toasty warm. Other than my left knee, I was cozy as a kitten.

I recommend *anyone* with a seven north of, say, Miami, install a heater hose. Not just to get into the polar bear club, but for those 50-degree dawn patrols on the way to some event.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 28, 2011, 5:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

madblkscientist wrote:
move down here to florida ,worse case rain

Up here in "The Real Florida" we had us some teens-and-twenties this winter...

Where are you, Sir? And what ya building?

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 28, 2011, 5:25 pm 

There were days this winter where I would have given anything for teens and twenties. I'm tired of this coldspell right now. This morning I had 19 deg outside! We are supposed to be 50+ for highs right now. I haven't seen that for a week and probably won't for another 5 or more days. Today's high was ~35.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 28, 2011, 5:40 pm 

Up here in "The Real Florida" we had us some teens-and-twenties this winter...

Where are you, Sir? And what ya building?

I am in miami sorry i forgot how cold it gets from mid florida and higher it's like 84* here hot

o and i am going build a seven(442) but I am still collecting parts and cleaning out the garage

PostPosted: March 28, 2011, 5:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
There were days this winter where I would have given anything for teens and twenties. I'm tired of this coldspell right now. This morning I had 19 deg outside! We are supposed to be 50+ for highs right now. I haven't seen that for a week and probably won't for another 5 or more days. Today's high was ~35.

Wellllll.... Ya know, Chuck, it's Sha-CAH'-Goe (Talk thru your nose when you say it.)
The town was founded by people who thought New York was OK, but it just wasn't cold enough....

JD "Working in shorts and t-shirt" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 28, 2011, 5:47 pm 

rx7locost wrote:

I could imagine bro, i remember visiting family in detroit and got snowed in, it was neg 15*- never again but hang in there cause your car is cool

PostPosted: March 29, 2011, 1:02 pm 

Hello Tom;
Were you able to put a load/dyno test your engine? I've re-installed my 2l recently and had
hopes of re-licensing the car and then a ring seating session on the fine spring days here,
but, a clutch glitch (screech-POW- :ack: ) has meant a re-think.
During the winter, I've put in new bearings and seals, Hastings rings, bigger valves and bronze guides with comp springs. Slight porting on the manifold and retuned the Webers.
Engine flywheel was lightened by 5.5 lbs. Throttle response is amazing and starting is so much easier.
New hi-comp pistons with liners were beyond my budget so just re-honing of liners.
Compression is now 175 lbs. in 3 cyls and 165 in one (vs 95-120-95-125 :roll: broken rings)
which I hope is just a ring seating issue.
In the 500 miles I put on the car last summer, the car did everything it was asked of. I'm
looking forward to the responsiveness and power of the reborn Alfa, est hp 160-170?
Warm weather will come, clutches will be rebuilt.
Regards, Wilf
cfv23844 Alfa/7

PostPosted: March 29, 2011, 2:42 pm 

cfv23844 wrote:
Hello Tom;
Were you able to put a load/dyno test your engine? I've re-installed my 2l recently and had
hopes of re-licensing the car and then a ring seating session on the fine spring days here,
but, a clutch glitch (screech-POW- :ack: ) has meant a re-think.
During the winter, I've put in new bearings and seals, Hastings rings, bigger valves and bronze guides with comp springs. Slight porting on the manifold and retuned the Webers.
Engine flywheel was lightened by 5.5 lbs. Throttle response is amazing and starting is so much easier.
New hi-comp pistons with liners were beyond my budget so just re-honing of liners.
Compression is now 175 lbs. in 3 cyls and 165 in one (vs 95-120-95-125 :roll: broken rings)
which I hope is just a ring seating issue.
In the 500 miles I put on the car last summer, the car did everything it was asked of. I'm
looking forward to the responsiveness and power of the reborn Alfa, est hp 160-170?
Warm weather will come, clutches will be rebuilt.
Regards, Wilf
cfv23844 Alfa/7

Hi Wilf,

Sounds like we had similar winters. I discovered a dead piston , no compression in number 3 , and low compression in others. I did a complete rebuild, bearings, higher compression pistons and liners, performance head, and high lift cams. I also replaced the stock flywheel with an aluminum one (22.5lbs to 7.5lbs). Forecast is calling for 60 degrees by the end of the week so I am hoping for a good break-in run this weekend.

Tom

'79 Alfa Spider Veloce

PostPosted: March 29, 2011, 7:27 pm 
Always Moore!

Heck 60 degrees is down right balmy. Sounds like good driving weather. :)

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 1:15 am 

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/9 ... undeclared

Now if I only had my car done! :BH:

Joe

PostPosted: March 30, 2011, 10:34 am 

I ride my naked bike to work when it's above 30*. The trip is a 16 mile 60mph ride. I have windproof/waterproof gear that makes it much more comfortable. My plan is to take advantage of the gear once I build a kit of some sort.

Finished product: http://www.fawbush.org/images/2012_8_19_buggy/2012_8_19_first_drive_6.JPG