LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 8:29 pm 

Went for the inspection this morning. Had a choice of 2 inspection stations, one in Bellevue and the other in Marysville. You would think that there would be one in Seattle but there isn't. So my neighbor and I drove up to Marysville. It's only 27 miles from my door. I think it's over 40 to Bellevue the long way which is the way I would go. Much less traffic and I hate that bridge. It rained all the way there and all the way back..Had a tarp over the car that kept it pretty dry.

Got there 1/2 hour early and had to wait There were two lady inspectors.
Both very friendly. One said she had something very similar just a couple of
weeks ago so I think that helped with the process. Weren't breaking new
ground. Were there for 1 and 1/4 hours while they both poured over the pile
of receipts I gave them. A couple of questions about the aluminum in the
body (receipts for 3 4X10 sheets), where the fenders came from (Kinetic) and where was the number on the engine. That was a problem area for me as I was a little weak in documentation for the engine. Told her it came with the Miata parts that I had the title for. She wanted to see the number on the engine. I know where it is but I didn't tell her and she couldn't find it. I was a little worried at that point because she had gone back into the office and was on her computer for a while. Apparently the Miata's numbers checked out clean and my apprehension turned to relief when she walked out with the VIN plate in her hand and asked where would be a good place to put it. We decided on the firewall. She couldn't hit the rivet hard enough to set it so she had me do it. All it took was a bigger hammer.

So I have an almost street legal custom 1963 Lotus Seven Replica. Almost because when I went to register it they said I needed a picture of the 1963 license plate. Didn't have one and it was past 3 PM. Couldn't get home and back in time so I'll go back tomorrow.

Now I have to call my insurance person.

I am indeed a happy camper!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 9:54 pm 

WOO HOO!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :thmbsup:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 10:14 pm 

Thanks Chuck. Sorry we won't see you in Oklahoma but I do understand.

I'll make the trip this time with the car in tow. Don't think I'll tow over the 2 mountain ranges between here and the Midwest after this year. Getting too old for that.

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 11:28 pm 

That's absolutely fantastic...Congratulations! I can't wait to see it in person. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 12:29 am 

I'll drive it to the next SLAG get together. A weeks notice will be enough ;<}

Can't say enough about the Marysvile team. They were great.

You hear about the real busy inspection lanes or the hard ass inspector. These ladies were a real treat compared to what I was expecting.

PostPosted: April 20, 2013, 11:16 pm 

Looking good, Larry! License and registration are "on deck" for me...I'm not quite there, however I've been saving many documents over the last 6 months on the "how to" procedures for the State of Florida. (Registration can't be as difficult as wiring the car!!) I hope registration goes as well as yours!
-Gar

PostPosted: April 21, 2013, 1:11 am 

Hi Gar,

My next door neighbor went with me to the, as WSP calls them, 'Inspection Lanes'. Was really expecting a hard nose State Patrol guy with a penchant for crossing i's and dotting t's or something like that. What I got were 2 attractive (for their age, I would guess mid 50's) ladies that thought I was charming! And I am a very presentable 72 years old. Maybe they were taking pity on me.

Kartracer John said his inspector didn't even open the hood. Mine did. She wanted to verify the engine # to the title I had. When she couldn't find the # she just went with what the title said. That was a break because no way would they match up. Miata title, Toyota engine.

No checking the windshield wipers (which I spent a lot of time on), DOT lens on the lights, E-brake, well she didn't check any brakes at all. All the WSP were concerned with was the legality of the parts. They did go over every receipt I had. Made notes on some of them. Apparently I convinced them of my total honesty because just when I thought things were getting ready to go way south (due to the absence of a # on the engine), she brings out my VIN plate and asks 'Where do you want it?'

The fact that she had a Locost in just a couple of weeks before was a BIG plus. He was just updating his status to match a new law stating that he could title it as a collector car with a vintage plate. I'm titled as a Custom 1963 Lotus Seven. The custom designation relieves me from smog, bumpers, DOT this and that and the plate stays with the car forever. The neighbor mentioned above gave me the 1963 Washington plate a little while ago as an incentive to go for the vintage status. Plus it looks kind of cool.

I wish the best of luck with your registration. Really hope yours goes as well as mine, however I do think I lucked out big time.

I should add that I started my build in Omaha, Nebraska and all of my receipts were for my address there. Didn't seem to matter as long as I could show that I did actually pay for all the big pieces.

And registering wasn't near as tough as wiring it. Perhaps a bit more suspenseful but not as hard!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 15, 2013, 7:13 pm 

Glad to hear it went so smooth. I live halfway between the Marysville station and the Bellevue, so I may opt to go to the experienced spot.

PostPosted: July 9, 2013, 2:17 am 

Hey Justin, now that we have some decent driving weather how about organizing a summer gather of SLAG? We can bring what's running.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 9, 2013, 3:25 am 

I would rather not take any interstates or ferries. No interstates until I get the front end straightened out (it gets twitchy above 50 MPH, did 75 in OK on I 40 but it did require constant attention) and ferries because I only have 3 1/2" under the oil pan and their load ramp height depends so much on the tide. If a ferry is involved I guess I could trailer it. Would really rather drive to the destination.

I guess that means I'm all for a meet. Interval from last is decent and perhaps with a little lead time we might attract those that couldn't make it last time. A shopping center is OK with me this time. Don't have to drive the big ass, hard to park for an old guy truck.

Always up for a Locost gathering. More than willing to share my experiences with the Midwest Locost Gathering in Gore, OK this June.

And I am looking forward to seeing Tom's Ulrima.

Last edited by benny_toe on July 9, 2013, 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 9, 2013, 3:46 am 

Reply to Downix:

I have no first hand experience with the Bellevue inspection lane but what I have heard they are very busy and not all that up to speed with our cars.

The inspectors in Marysville were aware of the newer laws (the ones that favored us) and if you smile, they are friendly. Helps if you are over 50 and you get the lady inspectors. ;<)

PostPosted: July 9, 2013, 9:32 am 

Hey Larry,
Glad to hear you got her through the titling process. I was out in Seattle this last weekend, but did not have time to call you. I am hoping to start the titling process on my car next week over here on the east coast.
Paul Harhen

PostPosted: July 9, 2013, 7:02 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Hey Justin, now that we have some decent driving weather how about organizing a summer gather of SLAG? We can bring what's running.

The polls are now open: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15225

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 9:36 pm 

I would love to attend but my daughter is in a play with two performances this Saturday. I thought I could still make it but I don't think I can.

I am just starting my build (I visited Online Metals today) and I would really like to know others around here who are building cars.

If there is a distribution list of us in the Seattle area I would like to be added to it so I can attend the next gathering.

Mike Spaid

PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 9:34 am 

My car still not done, but the Locost Buggy could make a gathering?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next