LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 10:26 pm 

Hey, we are heading out to Carlisle this weekend and I am hoping to see some 7's. I could use some inspiration to start my next build!
If your heading out, feel free to email me, PM, or text or call 412-974-5695.
Thanks
Paul

PostPosted: May 16, 2014, 8:38 am 

I will probably be there (I’m married so my plans can always get changed on me at the last minute) but my Locost will not. It is waiting for PennDOT to send plate and the VIN number. Besides my station wagon can haul more things home.
Carlisle can be really hit or miss on Lotuses. There was only one there last year, a series 2 for sale.

Attachment:
DSC02395.JPG

A few years back was a real jackpot with Jon W and his At-om replica.

Attachment:
DSC01268.JPG

A corvette engine Locost and a number of Westfields, Caterhams and Birkins.
Attachment:
DSC01269.JPG

I see from another post that you are selling a 2004 Miata engine and related parts. Any reason you don’t want to use it in the Locost you are planning? That is the engine I have in mine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 16, 2014, 6:05 pm 

Hi Run87k, I haven't been to Carlisle for quite a long time for this show and swap. Was hoping to hear this was the place to be nowadays... Anyway I have built two bike engine sevens that were "book" sized chassis's, and always wanted to go "old school" with a more traditional build. So I have been gathering parts for many years. For the next 7, I want it to be about the same size as an original S2. A buddy had Caterham Superlight R, and I absolutely adored that car. This is all the parts I have collected for the next one. Engine is a Toyota 22r block with a 20r head with lots of port work, and properly sized motorcycle mikuni sidedraft carbs, and Toyota 5spd. Miata front suspension, a Toyota corolla rear axle. I have an original Series 2 nose cone, and almost enough aluminum for the rest of the panels. Still need quite a lot, but I'm not in a hurry. So the Miata engine just isn't really needed.

Anyway, if you want to hang out and talk 7's give me a call or shoot me a text and we'll try and meet up.

Take care
Paul

PostPosted: May 16, 2014, 9:30 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

On another forum I saw people lamenting that it was expected to be raining hard there.

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 7:31 pm 

The weather turned out to be fairly nice. Saturday had a full show car field, but the kit car manufacturers and the parts vendors were the least I'd seen in 30 years. There were only a few Lotuses. A pair each of the Europa, Elan, Exige plus one Esprit. No 7s except for a kit from CRS Cars. I talked to the owner for quite a while and will post pictures later. ERA brought only Cobras and not the GT40 while Factory Five did not bring the Daytona Coupe.

PostPosted: May 19, 2014, 4:14 pm 

Saturday was nice when the sun was out, a bit chilly when it wasn't, but thankfully no rain. I was disappointed in the kit car vendors, and the swap meet. Both were very small. I also talked with David from CRS for quite a while. He seemed like a very nice guy and had some good ideas. I was also impressed with Entropy Racings electric sports racer cars. Charlie from Entropy was very excited about them. And the show field was huge, with more Volvo's and Saabs, than I think I've ever seen at any one time. All in all it was a fun trip.

Paul

PostPosted: May 19, 2014, 5:30 pm 

Quote:
the kit car manufacturers and the parts vendors were the least I'd seen in 30 years.

Apparently, the Kit Car world has taken a big hit with the economy as it is. Much the same was said of the AHA show in So-Cal. Back in the 90s the show was held at Knott's Berry Farm, and would regularly attract close to 200 cars. A few years back, it was moved to the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona and was changed to a one day format as attendance seemed to dwindle. This year (possibly last year also), the show as moved to the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar and there were only somewhere around 40 cars. Rather sad! :cry:

PostPosted: July 9, 2014, 11:36 am 

My wife and I attended the Import & Kit Car Show this year in Carlisle. I was disappointed by the lack of Sevens but it was a good show. My 1972 Triumph TR6 project was recently sold to make room for my 1964 Lotus Replica build. I mentioned to my wife that I should have put the TR6 on the trailer and brought it to the show.

The highlight for me was seeing my future Lotus. I've decided that I must have a Lotus Exige S.

SamM

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2014, 8:41 pm 

I picked up an Elise a while back. They are an amazing cars!
Lotustalks is a forum you will want to join for great info.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200