LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NorthEast Meetup
PostPosted: June 23, 2014, 9:22 am 

I did go up the hill near the end of the event, but you must have left as I could not find the B3 anywhere. I looked in all of the legal parking. On the other hand, you did say it was tiny...even smaller than the Morgan 3 wheeler. Perhaps hiding under some shrubbery?
I was amazed at how many people thought the Hodgepodge was some kind real car. Maybe my wife is right...I should rub out the paint. Nah...

PostPosted: June 23, 2014, 10:15 am 

Paul, sorry you didn't get to see it, Pam and I had to take off a bit early for another commitment. I have every confidence there will be other opportunities.

it was neat to be able to compare my build with its inspiration. the B-3 is about the same length as the Morgan Aero, but the B-3 cockpit is noticably wider. the Aero can't be 3 feet across. The new Morgan looked about the same general size as the B3, but much lower seating.

BTW, the Hodgepodge did seem very real ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: June 23, 2014, 11:33 am 

A picture that was posted on the MG Experience forum, with (most of) Paul's car in the foreground:

Attachment:
hodgepodge.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 23, 2014, 12:28 pm 

just down the field ( in the pic, it would have been just to the left of the orange traffic cone near the XKE) from Paul's car was a really nice MGTF 1500 that I saw in hopkintonMA friday afternoon. the owner let me pull in and take a picture next to it...

Attachment:
20140620_151951.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 24, 2014, 12:33 am 
The voice of reason

Gee, I didn't even get to see Paul's car with the hood off. We walked around a couple of times and my kids seemed to enjoy the cars. My 14 year old daughter said something like "these are great, now they all look the same.." I am pretty sure she can picture herself in an E-Type, I think that was her favourite. It's kind of interesting because the kids have never really seen these cars before and don't have much idea of relative costs etc. I did remind them that Maxwell Smart drove a Tiger and there were half a dozen there.

I vote next year Paul and Rob both enter the event and park near where Paul was. Then we can have a massive proper picnic. With actual blankets and food.

At some point we went up the hill to fly kites and the kids promptly ran opposite directions and I just got worn out quickly. I saw you folks in the distance a couple of times but didn't manage to catch up before you move on.

There was a Jaguar D-Type there and it was maybe the most interesting car for me. I just like competition cars. I should have stuck around it for awhile and probably could have learned more about it. It was a 2 holer, the passenger cockpit was separate and had a small bulkhead cover to make the opening flush.

I didn't have much time to look at the B3, I and my kids would have loved to sit in it, but the timing didn't work out. Paul's car too, actually I have never sat in a Locost yet or a Seven for that matter.

Paul's car is really well done. That's why people think it's a real car. Nothing about it looks jury rigged or put together with bailing wire. He's up on Megasquirt too,

I think we all had a good time. I hope next year we can get another Locost or 2 to show up. The people there seemed pretty friendly and welcoming. I told a few people that Paul had built the car from scratch and they were shocked and intrigued. One was a little kid and I told him to get his Mom to take him to Home Depot ( so I'm simplifying a bit :) ). Mom cracked up, but I saw the spark in that little kids eye!

PostPosted: June 24, 2014, 7:30 am 

horizenjob wrote:
There was a Jaguar D-Type there and it was maybe the most interesting car for me. I just like competition cars. I should have stuck around it for awhile and probably could have learned more about it. It was a 2 holer, the passenger cockpit was separate and had a small bulkhead cover to make the opening flush.

hmm. I took a couple pictures of that car, tho I heard somebody nearby mention that they thought it was an XKSS (the street version of the D) which had been modified. I assumed that it was an XKSS because it had a license plate. dunno, can you register a D-type? you're right though it was pretty sweet.

Quote:
I didn't have much time to look at the B3, I and my kids would have loved to sit in it, but the timing didn't work out. Paul's car too, actually I have never sat in a Locost yet or a Seven for that matter.

hey Marcus, some saturday afternoon I'll come by and you can have a nice long look while I check out your FF, and growing Car 9 build. ;-)

PostPosted: June 24, 2014, 2:36 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I assumed that it was an XKSS because it had a license plate. dunno, can you register a D-type? you're right though it was pretty sweet.

I didn't notice that! Hmmm, if you had an XKSS registered - it seems a no brainer you could modify it with the D-Type bodywork and then or Voila you have a registered D-Type...

PostPosted: June 24, 2014, 3:03 pm 

tru dat...

there's a vintage car festival going on at the re-opened Thompson speedway road course (in thompson CT) this weekend friday thru sunday. the only day I'd have free is friday, so I'm likely gonna take the B-3 down and check things out. Bonus: its closer to my locale in Milford than the Larz Anderson Museum, only 21 miles. maybe they'll let me on the track...;-)

linkage...http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/events/vintage-motorsports-festival